Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why 6th Gear?

vinchu

If I got that right, 6th gear is always recommended when ur on motorways, just like a "cruising mode" that keep ur rev low...I can see at least 500+ rev/sec difference when I am on 5th gear at 80 mph, thus that saves u petrol

but will that take more petrol when u are doing just 40-50 mph by using 6th gear? of cuz u can feel the car is a bit sluggish, cuz it's going around 2000 rev/sec

any clues?

I've know answer but...

......you have a very good point

Why so many gears? :blink:

Old Fords managed for decades with a 3 Speed box. :wacko:

I think the six gear set up is mainlly for sports cars like the G6R, where the power can be spread evenly across the gears and each gear can handle more speed. I have a g6 with five gears and driven a g6R with 6 gears and i noticed i dont have to change gears so often in the g6R as the lower gears can handle the power and speed than the five speed box. <_<

The G6R has a close ratio gearbox, hence giving it better acceleration times than say the SR which has a 1.6 5-speed box. I only really used the 6th gear when travelling over 55mph. Never noticed any real difference in fuel economy. Used to get around 320 miles out of a tank.

Joe

I have a g6 with five gears

the whole point of the '6' in 'G6 is the number of forward gears you have.

So what year is the car that you have. Or did you change the gear box?

Its no different to when people used to talk about why have a 5th gear when my 4 speed does the job fine etc.

I can have my G6R in 6 gear at 35 to 40 mph and its quite happy. But if you would want a sudden speed up then you will need to drop her down a gear etc.

Its not worth worrying about. Just drive the car and you get used to it :thumbsup:

The G6R has a close ratio gearbox, hence giving it better acceleration times than say the SR which has a 1.6 5-speed box. 

The facelifted ae111 SR has 6 gears!

Its no different to when people used to talk about why have a 5th gear when my 4 speed does the job fine etc.

Its not worth worrying about. Just drive the car and you get used to it :thumbsup:

Yeah, it is the same scenario, takes a wee while to get used to but its fine after that. Just a bit worrying when you drive another car and its only got 5 gears and you look for sixth when driving!! lol :unsure:

Especially annoying if its a car with reverse where 6th would be I imagine, like a 5 speed corolla for example! :D

Especially annoying if its a car with reverse where 6th would be I imagine, like a 5 speed corolla for example! :D

You get that lovely "truck reversing" beep though with the 6 speed box. :D

Joe

lol I was thinking more of putting the 5 speed box in reverse at 80mph - I used to always do something similar when I was learning to drive years ago in a diesel Pug 106, trying to downshift into 4th usually resulting in some serious gear grating, although that was because I was crap at driving then :P

<_<

Soz for the confusion, mine is an s corolla, most basic model. <_<

<_<

Soz for the confusion, mine is an s corolla, most basic model. <_<

Now you've confused me, I was talking about 'Levin86's' Car, not yours.

And there's nothing wrong with a "so called" base model.

Think of it as the excuse to upgrade various things you personally want.

Is your S a 1.6, 1.4 or 1.3 (like mine).

Woops sori! read the wrong message! Mines a 1.3 corolla s, has nothing special no air con, no sunroof, etc! but i bought it as it was the best model for the project i plan to do, i choose this non-sunroof model as the sunroof actually weakens the body. :blink:

Gotta admit that one of the reasons I didn't look around for a GLS spec was because it had a sunroof, which to me equals leaks, extra weight, weaker bodyshell, and an inch or more less headroom!

Woops sori! read the wrong message! Mines a 1.3 corolla s, has nothing special no air con, no sunroof, etc! but i bought it as it was the best model for the project i plan to do, i choose this non-sunroof model as the sunroof actually weakens the body.  :blink:

So I was right, you chose that car cos you wanted to, not because you couldn't get a higher spec.

And if your talking power, weight saving and body strength, your plans are performance related right.

I remember a guy from Fensport explain why he chose the Celica he did, and it was for the exact same reasons.

"Narrow bodied GT4 weighs less, no sunroof, no aircon."

lol I was thinking more of putting the 5 speed box in reverse at 80mph - I used to always do something similar when I was learning to drive years ago in a diesel Pug 106, trying to downshift into 4th usually resulting in some serious gear grating, although that was because I was crap at driving then :P

Not sure about all your RHD Corollas, but my AE102 has a reverse lockout that prevents shifting directly from 5th to reverse. You have to put it in to neutral in the centre, then shift to reverse... tried it once while messing around sitting in a car park. Bit of useless information for ya...

Sorry been bit busy lately. Yeah i purchased the car as a base for my project. I originally wanted a AE86 corolla but they are too expensive but most of all they rust like crazy. I did do alot of research on the AE111 before, and realised that the frog eye wrc hatchback version is not sold in Japan and America, they have the AE111 coupe Levin/Trueno. But they use the same floor pan so any chassis parts (suspension, struts, braces etc.) will fit directly on the europeon frog eye car. So finding parts for the car online is a piece of cake. I am not aiming to go all out on performance but to try and balance the chassis - power.

P.S......Is anyone into drifting on this forum?

and realised that the frog eye wrc hatchback version is not sold in Japan and America, they have the AE111 coupe Levin/Trueno. But they use the same floor pan so any chassis parts (suspension, struts, braces etc.) will fit directly on the europeon frog eye car. So finding parts for the car online is a piece of cake. I am not aiming to go all out on performance but to try and balance the chassis - power.

I didn't realise it was the same floor plan. :o :eek:

I'd better start saving again. I knew the engine conversions weren't too much trouble from Levins to Corollas (20V/Supercharged) but I didn't realise the suspension, struts etc were the same.

Thank you for that piece of vital info.

and realised that the frog eye wrc hatchback version is not sold in Japan and America, they have the AE111 coupe Levin/Trueno. But they use the same floor pan so any chassis parts (suspension, struts, braces etc.) will fit directly on the europeon frog eye car. So finding parts for the car online is a piece of cake. I am not aiming to go all out on performance but to try and balance the chassis - power.

I didn't realise it was the same floor plan. :o :eek:

I'd better start saving again. I knew the engine conversions weren't too much trouble from Levins to Corollas (20V/Supercharged) but I didn't realise the suspension, struts etc were the same.

Thank you for that piece of vital info.

Not to mention, all suspension pieces will interchange between the E10 and E11. The only exception is the front sway bar... ZZE110/1/2 (VVT-i) models (and the NZE models) have different shapes for the different exhausts of the ZZ engines versus the A and E. Brakes will interchange too. I have AE101 Levin rear disc brakes on my car, but my friend has AE111 Levin rear brakes on his, and they're identical. On a side note, the only E11 we got here in the states was the ZZE110 saloon with only the 1.8L 1ZZ-FE (sans VVT-i on early models).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links