Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chinchillas

breezer

Im interested in buying a chinchilla as theyre very cute and cool. Iv found an ideal cage but i just want to know a few questions.

how long to chinchillas live for?

how much do chinchillas usually cost?

thanks

breezer

We used to have one years back - beautiful little thing it was.....

They live about 15 years, but some can live up to 20 - ours lived to about 5, but theres a long story behind that!

Our Chinchilla cost us about £30 as my Dads friend was breeding them so we got them cheap - normally I think they range from between £75-£200, depending on the breeder.

Same with most rodents though, make sure you get it from a good breeder, preferably one who has been handled frequently as a baby as they do bite hard (believe me, I know! lol)

This website might give you some extra info....

National Chinchilla Society

HTH!

id be getting it from a pet shop!! i was in today as i love rodents, so i hada butchers and someone had a chinchilla which they were selling back to the shop! she was gorgeous!

Chinchillas in my local pet shop are £35.

Do you need special dust/sand for them to bath in? I know they have the densest fur on any mammal.

yes they need sand baths

We didnt give them special sand - just normal sand, although it was very fine sand (I never studied my types of sand!)

Their fur is just unbelieveably soft - all the fur makes them look big - shave it off and you'll have the skinniest little animal (not that I have dont that btw! lol)

Its so sad though - do a Google Image search for "chinchilla" and just look at the amount of fur coats they show..... :(

I think they're a lot like ferrets(not related though!) as far as activity level and their love of getting into things.

So, animal-proof your house accordingly! :arrgg-matey:

I think they're a lot like ferrets(not related though!) as far as activity level and their love of getting into things.

So, animal-proof your house accordingly!  :arrgg-matey:

Yeah thats a good idea!

Hide all wires for electrical equipment as they'll chew them - also make sure they can squeeze behind anything and get trapped - ours got trapped behind the fireplace as they have such tiny bodies they can get through the smallest of holes.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links