Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Normal?

eternity575

i am sending this letter to toyota.. this will explain everything..

u can also see photos at the end of the letter, and tell me if this is justified.

all i need is a toyota official telling me "this is wrong"

(thnx to the yaris forum users for helping me with the letter)

FAO Customer Services Dept

Dear Sir or Madam

I recently purchased my Toyota Yaris T-Sport from A Toyota Authorized Dealer located in Rehovot, Israel. I have been very pleased with my new T-sport and been driving it for 4800 km. now.

However, about a month ago, my brakes started to make a strange noise; I went to the authorized Toyota garage and asked them to change the brake pads. They did not. Instead, they sanded the edges of the pads making it smaller in width; Also, the noise did not stop.

As you can imagine, I am unhappy with this outcome as I expected them to change the brake pads without any objection, and make the noise stop.

Is this correct Toyota approved practice? (To sand down the edges of an original brake pad) the garage and the "Toyota inspector" claim that it is, that if a Toyota got noise from its brakes, they need to sand down the pad by factory instructions, sounds very unlikely to me.

as you can see in the attached photos, photo a+b are my front and rear discs, photo c is another t-sport I took photo of. You can clearly see what is wrong.

The discs themselves also appear to be rusting ,which does not seem right for a 6 month old car. I once again visited my local garage, which were insistent that my brake discs were fine. However my mind was not put at ease by those claims.

I know that Toyota build cars with an excellent safety record, however my main concern is that with the brake pads being sanded down, that there will be less braking power, which in itself is very worrying, also, I don’t think there should be any rust at all on my brake discs.

you can see my discs here:

brakes3.jpg

brakes2.jpg

and u can see other t-sport brakes here:

brakes4.jpg

thank you for your time :crybaby:

Looking at your pictures it seems the pads are too small for the disc hence the surface rust as there is no pad contact.

When I look at an angle at my calliper, I can see that the pad has contact with all the disc, front and back. The back pads are blue for some reason but are in contact with the entire disc.

on the last line of your letter.........

, that there will be less braking power, which in itself is very worrying, also, I don’t think there should be any rust at all on my brake discs.

I personaly would change it to........

, that there will be less braking power, which in itself, is also very worrying, , I don’t think there should be any rust at all on my brake discs.

Its normal for disks to show surface corrosion!!!

Not on a normal working pad and disc set up unless it’s been standing for a while or you have just wash them.

After even the shortest of journeys once the pad has touched the disc and surface discoloration or corrosion should disappear...

I think that you will find that you get a "ring" of rust around the edge and middle of your brake discs. I wouldn't class this as unusual. These rings will always be there, no matter how often you use the car, the brake pad doesn't go right to the edge of the disc. The discs are made of mild steel which is soft and corrodes easily, this metal is used as it gives high abrasion against the pads. Remember pads and discs are consumable items and will wear out. Granted not usually after 6 months! My sisters SR needed new discs after 3 years and Yaris brakes are known not to be the best.

I'd get Toyota to change the pads and clean the discs under warrenty if I were you.

Joe

Corrosion will show up on ALL discs no matter what (unless you can afford ceramic)

It is purely a cosmetic feature on all cars.

ie. steel-water-corrosion.

Unless the corrosion affects the item structurally, (Paper thin) I wouldn't worry at all.

We would all like our discs to keep the factory finish that looks so good, but unfortunately this isn't possible in the real world.

If however your callipers are siezing, (which can and does happen) I would make sure that this is not the problem. :thumbsup:

Les

Corrosion will show up on ALL discs no matter what (unless you can afford ceramic)

It is purely a cosmetic feature on all cars.

ie. steel-water-corrosion.

Unless the corrosion affects the item structurally, (Paper thin) I wouldn't worry at all.

We would all like our discs to keep the factory finish that looks so good, but unfortunately this isn't possible in the real world.

If however your callipers are siezing, (which can and does happen) I would make sure that this is not the problem.  :thumbsup:

Les

If it is the calipers, and that red paint isn't standard, then I think Toyota will have a good excuse :(

Joe

I don't see much wrong in pictures 1 and 2. Picture 3 looks brand new and never driven or not far/long.

One thing you don't mention is the type of noise the brakes are making?

Looking at picture 1 there is what looks like rusting on the rear of the pad (between the pad and caliper) - actually on the anti-squeel shim. There shouldn't be rust there due to a coating of copper grease. Without copper grease between the shim and the caliper there will be slight vibrations on braking causing a "squeeling" sound.

Red calipers (to my knowlege) are not standard on your car. Toyota might see this as a modifaction and tell you to take your complaint home I'm afraid...

I think for a 6 month old car the build up of rust is to much, I realise that there might be a slight line/ring of rust at top and bottom edge but (looking at photo) this is too much for a 'new' car.

As for filing the edge of the pads, I thought that practice had ended back in the 1970's.

This is a very common thing with toyotas,the dealer should be carrying out a "disk skim" under warranty it's a lathe that skims 0.01mm of the surface per time. If its a sqeal you are getting then toyota wont touch it because of the calipers and if its a clicking noise its the caliper to pad gap again toyota wont touch it with the red paint on them.hope this helps :thumbsup:

if they had to sand the edges down the pads obviously didnt fit into the caliper, i think they have fitted an incorrect set. fitting a new set will most likely get rid of the rust rings if the edge between rust and disc isnt too big.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links