Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trd Engine Parts

CTS03

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mircea

• CTS03

• Astakos

• CraigR

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CTS 03,

I purchased the following TRD parts for TS:

-rear and front sway bars but from TRD USA.Total cos including shipment

550$

I ordered the following TRD parts as well(Fensport,UK):

-AIR FILTER

-LIGHT WEIGHT FLY WHELL(980$,or so).

For more detailes you can contact http://www.stratisautosport.gr/products/car.php?id=60#382 wich is a greek dealer.

I am going to change the final gear as well .

For more info don't hesitate to contact me via my e -mail adress.

btw the sway bars are AWESOME for TS!!!!!

Mircea

Hi Mircea

Thanks for the Greek address ! I should say though that I am a bit scared of this place: they seem to create all kinds of street monsters!

My idea is that TRD products could improve substantially the torque and normally they could be available through Toyota dealerships. This would not create guarantee issues, etc.

I have not seen any TRD sway bars. Are they designed for CTS?

I am also not sure what should be the priorities for any handling improvement:

wheel/tyres, schock absorbers or sway bars. I feel that wheels/tires may be the most important upgrading for CTS.

I think it is not worthy to spend a lot of money for transforming CTS to a pure sport car. However, any gradual mods during the ownership of a car create some excitement without the cost of a new car.

For CTS03,

As I said I bought the sway bars from USA because there were cheaper than

those made in Japan.

Yes are matching to TS.

I am also not sure what should be the priorities for any handling improvement:

wheel/tyres, schock absorbers or sway bars. I feel that wheels/tires may be the most important upgrading for CTS.

In order to have FLAT tyres on cornering IS MANDATORY TO CHANGE THE

STOCK SWAY BARS FOR TS.The fany thing is that the confy remains the same!!!!

The stock sway bars are the same with the Corolla equiped with 1.6l engine wich is not normal be sure!!!!!!!!The stock dumpers are ok but the springs must be updated(TRD/C-ONE/TTE)

Personaly I am not convince that the larger tyres are better for TS due to the

limited power/torque of 2zzge engine.I put on mine, for the winter, 205/55 R16

and the launching is 'LAZIER".A better handling can be touch even more if you

put a front strut bar(TTE/TRD) as well.

I think it is not worthy to spend a lot of money for transforming CTS to a pure sport car. However, any gradual mods during the ownership of a car create some excitement without the cost of a new car.

You are corect!!!!!!I agree!I spent so far 2k$ and I am happy with it!The car is far to be a PURElLY SPORT ONE

but now the handling is much.much, better,the confy is the same and the safety on the high speed,and fast cornering is perfect for me.

And the main bonus:

is the same as any other Corolla (as the first glance of course)!

Keep in touch,

Mircea

In order to have FLAT tyres on cornering IS MANDATORY TO CHANGE THE

STOCK SWAY BARS FOR TS.

I put on mine, for the winter, 205/55 R16and the launching is 'LAZIER".

Mircea

What is different in the sway bars compared to the stock ones, their diameter?

I guess a more rigid back side would increase the car's tendency to oversteer at deceleration in bends. But is it this the only result?

I am afraid for any strange complication of the behaviour of the suspension.

Concerning the tire size, after 20K km my tires are spinning when I start the car. When the road is wet, there is also a lot of shaking of the car and gap-goup noise from the suspension and TCS!

Hi CTS 03,

The diff in diameter is huge :

Rear-22mm/26mm or 50%-55% more stiffness depennding on the settings

Front-24mm/26-27mm-115% more stiffness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*HUGE improvment from fast cornering point of view in fact is the main achievement

*more stable at high speed

*more stable in the decelerations at high speed

*eliminates spining and shaking of the car when you lanched it ,but in dry conditions

*are made from TUBE STEEL.

Please define the "complication of the behaviour of the suspension"!

The dealer must accept the waranty of the TRD's devices.You will not void the waranty!

NOTA BENE:

The sway bars NOT ELIMINATES COMPLETE THE SPINING AND THE SHACKING OF THE CAR WHEN THE ROAD IS WET!

Mircea

For EAVP,

Sorry!I didn't get it!Please resend it or let me know what can I do for you!

Mircea

HMM WEIRD....I wanted to know about those parts for the CTS that you bought in the states....I you could provide me with the store links and part #....thank you!

eddyv78@yahoo.com

Hi Mircea, thanks for your comments. I will reply to your questions

Please define the "complication of the behaviour of the suspension"!

I mean the driving conditions for understeer or oversteer. There is a clear pattern for FWD vehicles: understeer if you accelerate in a bend and oversteer if you brake. “Complicated” would be any unpredictable behaviour (deviation from the above) because of the suspension changes.

The diff in diameter  is huge  :

Rear-22mm/26mm or 50%-55% more stiffness depennding on the settings

Are the sway bars adjustable themselves?

I am wondering how good work on adjustment would be needed after any changes on the suspension. Overall, we have not our own garage and track.

Hi CTS03

I mean the driving conditions for understeer or oversteer. There is a clear pattern for FWD vehicles: understeer if you accelerate in a bend and oversteer if you brake. “Complicated” would be any unpredictable behaviour (deviation from the above) because of the suspension changes

Now I get the point.Personaly I hate to drive too fast for a long time(ex over 190km /h) so what I can say:the car is stable both when you are accelerating or you are decelerating.Before to instal the sway bars when I decelerated I felt an oversteer now (190-200km/h or so) the cars remains stable.

Are the sway bars adjustable themselves?

No!But for the rear one you can set up it in two ways:

-racing(+50%)

-hard racing.+(55%)

I am using the first one!

I am wondering how good work on adjustment would be needed after any changes on the suspension. Overall, we have not our own garage and track.

The theory said:make all changes(springs,sway bars,bumpers) all together.

Mircea

Now I get the point.Personaly I hate to drive too fast for a long time(ex over 190km /h) so what I can say:the car is stable both when you are  accelerating or you are decelerating.Before to instal the sway bars when I decelerated I felt an 

Actually, what I have in mind is driving in narrow country roads with frequent bends of 90 or more degrees going up a mountain. Not more than 100-120km/h!

I see no interest running in highways but ,of course, I also do not like dangerous drivers to pass me. Your sway bars would help in that case.

I have decided to wait to see what modifications Toyota is going to introduce in the supercharged version. Normally, these mods should be well tested.

Hi,

I have decided to wait to see what modifications Toyota is going to introduce in the supercharged version. Normally, these mods should be well tested.

I hope.The supercharged version will be another car.

As I know the guys from C-one (Japan) prepared a TS(RunX) for track.And besides others mods. they used owen sway bars version wich are rely upon TRD's one.

Actually, what I have in mind is driving in narrow country roads with frequent bends of 90 or more degrees going up a mountain. Not more than 100-120km/h!

AGREE! In fact for this sort of driving I put a chunk from my savings into TS!

.........and it deserves ,belieave me!

Mircea

@CTS03:

Mate...I've been reading to all the stuff you & mircea are writing and simply I have to add the following, taking into account your style of driving and what you actually want from your car:

1. Go for a new set of tyres, preferably 205/50/16. I have Toyo Proxes T1-R for over 5000 km and...hey...they are simply great. Awsome tyre in both wet & dry. When I say awsome I mean even something more...FANTASTIC. Put it on m8 and u will never regret it!

2. Then aim for a new suspension kit, preferably coil-overs. I have KW Variant 2 and my car is simply transformed. You wouldn't believe how sharp it corners and how minimized the body roll is. This suspension kit is height & rebound adjustable. Do not aim for the TTE coil-over kit since it is quite expensive for what it offers. Other very good alternative to KW coilover is the Tein Super Street.

I know that coil-overs are a bit expensive, but for me they worth every single penny.

Lastly, I wouldn't even think about the TTE lowering springs. I had them for 4000 km and...boy...they were catastrophe! Sold them at once!! :angry: I know that this contradicts the opinion of the majority of this forum...but for me TTE springs simply suck! No comparison whatsoever to coil-overs! And if you want to do something right and have a nice rigid car you have to think cleverly! ;)

3. Then you can aim for front & rear strut bars but this is entirely up to you.

Now...after having done all these mods you come to think about the sway bars. Not earlier m8. Sway bars would not do you any good if you haven't got a proper setup for your car. Take my word for that!

You can get TRD's (as mircea says...I didn't know they exist) or the Whiteline ones. I have ordered them and I will have them installed by the end of this month.

And something to prove that what I am saying is at least close to reality.

Let's take for example the Civic Type-R. Everybody agrees that this car is made for track days. Suberb handling and excellent setup in stock status.

When I had the TTE Springs I took my CTS and went to MEGARA track. A friend of mine was there with a CTR (stock). We agreed to have a little "race" to see what happens. And I inform u this guy is an excellent driver.

We started...2.5+ seconds the CTR faster @ every single lap. I was extremely disappointed!! :crybaby:

After I had installed the Toyo, KW, TTE front strut bar and TRD rear we raced again. Imagine what happened. He couldn't even follow me. 1.5 the CTS faster @ every single lap. Now that is what I call improvement. And this was done before I begin modifying the engine. Now the CTR cannot even follow me in a "head-to-head" straight race.

These are what I had to add...hope you find them useful! :thumbsup:

Hi Astakos,

mmmm!It sounds really nice!

I saw that you changed even Thermostat & spurk plugs!

Why you didn't change the stuff gear with one more shorter or just the final gear?

As I know the C-One is the best!

Currently I am struggling to get one from http://www.tomsracing.com.au/.

Could please provide me more info about Dastek E.C.U.?

Tx,

Mircea

Thanx mircea! :thumbsup:

I changed the thermostat as to provide to the engine a better cooling factor. You don't see raise in horsepower with the thermostat but it definetely forbits the engine from temperature rises especially in hot days and in track days.

The TRD spark plugs are IK-22 which in fact are one degree coller than the stock ones. That is, IK-22 are NGK heat range 7 whereas the stock are 6. They give a more constant spark which can be felt at low-to-mid range rev by making the accelerator more instant.

Why you didn't change the stuff gear with one more shorter or just the final gear?

As I know the C-One is the best!

Currently I am struggling to get one from http://www.tomsracing.com.au/.

Because they simply cost a fortune and to be honest I am not interested in making my car a "race" car. I know that C-One's gear set is shorter than stock and as a consequence it decreases the final velocity of each gear. I know that the car will accelerate like crazy...but just isn't my style kind of modification that I would aim for that car. Future engine development will be TRD Exhaust Manifold, SUN Hyper Ground System, Final Muffler, TRD Clutch and Disk (Sport facing type) and finally a TRD Lightweight Flywheel. And that's about everything I will do.

I know that there are a number of more solutions, like the C-One's gear set, TRD high compression pistons, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys Kits or even C-One's crank pulley but my aim is not to make the fastest N/A TSport ever made.

I hope you understand what I mean! B)

Could please provide me more info about Dastek E.C.U.?

It is basically the Unichip Piggyback Computer. You can adjust the fuel ratio and avance especially at mid-range revs and practically everywhere. It is a nice little computer that connects in parallel with your stock E.C.U.

Gains are about 5-6hp but dramatically increase in torque from low to top end. It is tuned on a dyno and future development of this chip will be to decrease the VVTL-i point. That would give even more torque in mid-range since the power would be spread uniformly throughout the rev range.

It is a good asset m8 and can be reprogrammed every time you make a mod to your engine.

Hope I helped!! ;)

Tx Astakos,

Now I understand why you passed away the CTR!

Future engine development will be TRD Exhaust Manifold, SUN Hyper Ground System, Final Muffler, TRD Clutch and Disk (Sport facing type) and finally a TRD Lightweight Flywheel. And that's about everything I will do.

I got the TRD Clutch(Sport facing type) and I am waiting for Lightweight Flywheel

and TRD filter.Both provided by http://fensport.co.uk/fensportcars.htm.

As I know the above devices(clutch+flywheel) will change the car's behaviour dramaticaly!

Refer to the c-one gear set you can buy just the FINAL GEAR(1.400 AU$) wich is a very good price.I know that the WRC SET GEAR (around 3.500AU$) transforms the car into a beast but is not my target as well.But the FINAL GEAR will set up the final ratio from 4.55 to 4.80 wich is acceptable ,I think.

All I want is to replace those parts of the car wich are not appropriate with the power of the engine(clutch,flywheel,sway bars,not entire gear set,air filter,springs) and to add up others as front strut bar.

Gains are about 5-6hp but dramatically increase in torque from low to top end. It is tuned on a dyno and future development of this chip will be to decrease the VVTL-i point. That would give even more torque in mid-range since the power would be spread uniformly throughout the rev range.

It is a good asset m8 and can be reprogrammed every time you make a mod to your engine.

Did you dino your car after these mods?

I thing you got around 10%-15% in torque ,but as you note also, to got it in low-mid range wich is FANTASTIC!

I would imagine how pleasure you feel when you drive your TS!!!!!!

I will let know what IS CHANGING IN CAR'S BEHAVIOUR after clutch-flywheel removing if I will do it before you will do it your self ,of course!

Regards,

Mircea

Cheers mircea!!

Just keep me informed!

For the time being I have ordered the Whiteline Sway Bars (front & rear), the Sun Hyper Ground System, Booster Eye lids and Orchiari Front Mesh Grill. So after I pay for all these I will be broke for a while!! :help::drool:

So probably you would get the clutch and the flywheel before me!!

By the way...today I had a discussion with a greek tuner about the DC Sports header (exhaust manifold) that manufactures for the Celica GT-S. He told me that he has instal it to a celica TSport (together with a cat-back) system and seemed to work fine.

I don't know m8...he surely put me into some serious thinking. This header is very cheap (500 euro less than TRD's) and from the way I see it a very good alternative.

What's your opinion or any other's opinion on this issue?

Hi Astakos,

If you ask me I prefer TRD' devices.The main advantages of them

is that they are MATCHING perfect into TS. Of course the price is higher with 10-25%.

Up to you mate!But before buying it check APEXI as well!

I am going to order both spark plugs and theromostat,could you provide me

a dealer willing to ship it to abroad?

Tx,

Mircea

Which country are you from mircea? You can surely try www.trdsales.com which has very good prices.I have ordered a couple of things from there and their service is very good.

Also you can order from www.fensport.co.uk but their prices are a bit high!

Hi Astakos,

I am from Romania.I sent yeasterday a mail to www.trdsales.com

but I didn't get anything,I asked them if can shipped to Romania.

Did you order it directly?

Tx,

Mircea

1. Go for a new set of tyres, preferably 205/50/16. I have Toyo Proxes T1-R 

2. Then aim for a new suspension kit, preferably coil-overs. I have KW Variant 2 and my car is simply transformed. You wouldn't believe how sharp it corners and 

...but for me TTE springs simply suck! No comparison whatsoever to coil-overs! 

These are what I had to add...hope you find them useful!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Astakos

It is very encouraging your good experience with 205/50/16 tires on the stock wheels. I like their design and it would be a waste of money to change them for 17".

I am convinced that we need coil-overs for a rigid car but perhaps it would become too uncomfortamble for every day driving. And how much your car is lowered with the KW Variant 2 coil-overs?

I have the TTE 30mm lowering springs and a front spoiler. I am dissapointed with the car's stability at speeds above 160 on highways such as Athens-Tripoli. However, I also suffer from the impossibility to approach any parking area next to an asfalt road, since there is always a high step between the asfalt and soil levels.

Also I do not understand the practical meaning of "adjustable". Are we supposed to adjust them only once during installation? Is it practically possible to try to find ourselves the optimum settings without using a service facility?

I am also afraid that whatever is "adjustable" may not be very stable compared to a rigid part. I think that any kind of screw could not resist under heavy loads for long times.

Finally, could you suggest any Toyota garage in Greece that has some experience with such suspension and engine mods in CTS ? I do not like the possibility to start a series of visits to solve gradually problems.

As I know the above devices(clutch+flywheel) will change the car's behaviour dramaticaly!

I understand the effects of the lighter flywheel but why to change the clutch? The stock clutch disk (properly set) engages fast enough so that the TCS is activated like crazy!

I think most of us loose time in shiftings because of problems in the gear shifting mechanism. This is also responsible for the gear cable rattles near 6000rpm.

In Australia, Toyota recalled Sportivos (CTS) to replace the "gear selector cables" but obviously European CTS owners are not organized and demanding and they ignored us.

In a Greek Car's magazine (4Troxoi, February) it was also written somewhere that the face lifted CTS has an improved gear shifting system. Most probably it is about the Australian recall.

Hi CTS03,

The most of the lighter flywheel are working properly with the stock clutch.

But let assume that you are going to change your stock flywheel with the new one

lighter and your TS has 20k km on the clock!!!!!!

It is possible that your stock clutch to be burned and to be forced to change it as well!

The new face lift version has gear cables shorter and stronger as I know!

Mircea

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links