Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Commuting In An Mr2 Turbo?

alexwainwright

Hi, first post here, don't have an MR2 yet, but it is very much on the cards!! (New job = cash = new car!!)

Question is, are the turbos realistic commuting cars, with occasional long journeys thrown in? I'm pretty handy with the spanners and can do pretty much all maintenance on most cars (inc one or two engine rebuilds!!), and combined with the bombproof reputation of these engines, I'm thinking reliability really shouldn't be a problem?

I would most likely be going for a rev 3.

The fuel consumption isn't such a big deal to me - I see petrol as important as food, and cars are meant to be driven hard - of course you have to pay extra for the pleasure of driving a faster car.

BTW, I've been reading these forums for the last week - really helpful!

Alex

yeah should be no probs at all. i ran mine as a daily car when i was working down south and apart from the fuel and basic maintenance, no probs at all.

was doing about 400miles per week.

DONT EVEN THINK OF IT MATE!!!!! Awesome car, but errrrm £40 will give you 200 miles MAX!!!! :eek:

I have a general run about for a 2nd car and have been laughing ever since. Now its £40 in the tank and i dont go back to the petrol station for 2 weeks! in my mr2, it was all gone by friday :eek:

If your going to buy one of these cars - buy it for fun and not for driving long distances in. Oh - services are EXPENSIVE 2!!!!! so the more miles = more of these.

Dont get me wrong, the mr2 is a great car, BUT its the most expensive thing ive ever owned just to keep running + maintained, and to be honest after 6 months of doing this my money was rapidly decreasing - hense the 2nd car. Now my motor is kept safe away in storage - and had become a project.

Apart from that.. its the best car ive ever owned :thumbsup:

Cheers

i drive mine every day at the min, and when its 'warming' you can literally watch the needle going down :eek:

I used to use mine 3 days a week.....60 km's each day & now do that twice a week plus my blat's on sunday (my day off) Iv'e also done the odd 1400km return trip a fair few times. No problem what so ever :) All I can say is DON'T get a heavy duty clutch if you want to drive it on a regular basis.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

5 days a week .. 50+ miles a day .. fill the tank every 4 days ..

It's doable - easily.

Just costly on Optimax and Toyo's ..

DONT EVEN THINK OF IT MATE!!!!! Awesome car, but errrrm £40 will give you 200 miles MAX!!!!  :eek:

correct to the pound! Thats exactly what I get and I commute every day too, very short journeys aswell (<4miles each way)...cant be good for the car so make sure you give it a good blast and a nice cruise now and then and you'll be ok :thumbsup:

I was thinking about this as i watched my petrol gauge go down to "fill up NOW or walk" and it occured to me on Monday i filled the tank £35 and now it's all but gone. and it's only done about 200 miles.

the problem is it's not a turbo and apart from the occasinal blat past a van or learner i drive it like a nun.

Lets compare notes:

What sort of miles per tank are everyone getting ????? ( Spec turbo or non )

What sort of miles per tank are everyone getting ????? ( Spec turbo or non )

Plenty of threads about this already .. lets not start another one ..

Cheers all, pretty much confirms what I already thought, especially about petrol!!

My other car options are almost just as bad on fuel, and not as fast, so what the hell. :rolleyes:

I drove a friend's Rev2 a little while ago - consider me well and truly hooked! That was standard too!!

Thanks,

Alex

DONT EVEN THINK OF IT MATE!!!!! Awesome car, but errrrm £40 will give you 200 miles MAX!!!!  :eek:

I have a general run about for a 2nd car and have been laughing ever since. Now its £40 in the tank and i dont go back to the petrol station for 2 weeks! in my mr2, it was all gone by friday  :eek:

If your going to buy one of these cars - buy it for fun and not for driving long distances in. Oh - services are EXPENSIVE 2!!!!! so the more miles = more of these.

Dont get me wrong, the mr2 is a great car, BUT its the most expensive thing ive ever owned just to keep running + maintained, and to be honest after 6 months of doing this my money was rapidly decreasing - hense the 2nd car. Now my motor is kept safe away in storage - and had become a project.

Apart from that.. its the best car ive ever owned  :thumbsup:

Cheers

I get about 220 miles for 35 quid of optimax :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links