Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Discs Photos.. Please..

eternity575

ok..

i guess u guys dont know, but i have some preoblems lately with my yaris and toyota...

they tell me the rust rings on my brake discs are normal.

well, ive seen hunderds of cars with the "discs showing" and none had any rust on the surface it self.

brakes3.jpg

all i need from you guys.. are photos of your brake discs...

i took their "inspector" for a walk in their car lot, seen 10's of cars without the rust.. but he wont admit it..

so i need some more photos to send to toyota israel.

can u help please?

thats the thing..

when i went to toyota about a noise i had in the brakes.. they sanded down the edges of my brake pad. making it smaller thuis not touching the whole disc surface.. making room to rust to form.

cant wipe it with my nail or iron brush lol

i wouldn't trust them. rust eats metal. so if ur brake disk is being ate away, some day u could break and possibly shatter the disk.... wouldn't trust them... for the sake of £33 i would get a new set.

This kinda stuff happens, lets face it brake disks have no corrosion protective surface treatment like the rest of your car as they are designed to wear down.

Surface rust on disks is common :thumbsup:

yeah leeky..

BUT..

when you give 2-3 good brakes.. the brake pad "cleans" the disc itself...causing it to be "rustless"...

if there is no contact there... because of that damn sanding they made, the rust will get worse..

also, i forgot to say.. my car is 6 months old.. with only 4800 km. on it..

that "sanding" was part of the warranty.

They look very scored for new disks!

Hummmm....is everything Genuine Toyota? Toyota Pads, Toyota Discs..

weird...

I must admit, looking at the deep pitting on the disc, it appears that they have been stood for quite some time and the scouring could be caused by the impacted rust in the brake material abrasing the surface.

For six months old, I don't think I would be too pleasd either. :angry:

The rust around the outer edge and towards the top hat in the middle is quite normal.

When new, discs come with a protective coating which you must take off using brake cleaner. If you don't, it will affect the efficiency of the pads.

On cars where you may see no rust, they may be new cars, which are left this way to look nice and shiny to sell... because let's face it, if you saw a new car at £9k or whatever a Yaris is, with rust on it already, you'd think twice about parting with your money. It's not just for aesthetics though. Corrosion will eat away at the discs if left for long enough, and again ruin the braking efficiency.

Cars which are even 8 months old which still have no rust on the discs at all obviously never had the protective coating properly removed in the first place.

Brake discs will rust, as they are still mainly machined down cast iron.

Bare metal + water + air = rust

The parts that don't rust on your brakes are the parts that are basically wiped clean every time you brake.

Before I fitted my discs, I painted the outside edges and the outside of the 'top hat' in very high temp black spray paint, to stop too much unsightly rust on the areas I can control.

I didn't work out which parts on the brake surface wouldn't be touched and hence paint them, as you run the risk of going onto the braking surface which again will foul your pads. You shouldn't paint the surface your wheel will mount to either.

brakes.jpg

brakes1.jpg

I wouldn't personally worry about the surface rust sides of things... but they do look a little scored.

ok.. lemme ask you one little question...

a brake pad.. should cover almost all of the brake disc surface?

in width that is?

i mean.. the garage manager himself showed me they sanded down the edges of the pad like this:

http://www.kehila.net/before.jpg

thats what makes me mad..

u cant see it well in the photos, but its almost 20% of the disc itself

Eternity, like I said in your other post, nothing looks out of the ordinary. And you still do not describe the noise.

If there are hardened metallic parts in the pad material - it's normal for the pads to be sanded down. It's also common practice to do the same to discs. Although I am against it.

Sometimes the pad material is quite abrasive and contains hard particles which score the discs. This is fine and normal. Sometimes noises made will be a scraping sound (normal) or could be a squeeling sound. The squeeling sound can be a result of a number of things:

Excessive dust

Hard metalic particles in the pad material

Low pad level

Lack of copper grease.

The only thing I'd be concerned a little by is the evidence of rust on the anti-squeel shim (shown in your photo between the pad and the caliper).

Cars will differ (also within model range) with regards to the size of pads. Some cars the pads will cover the entire disc and on others it won't. I will try take a photo of my corolla later and you will see the amount of rust in similar areas to yours.

Have a read through my "How-To" on brakes in the Workshop submissions section of the forum.

If you have any questions, feel free to email or PM me :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links