Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crail 1/4 Mile Mr2 Fun

Rikki

Nice 1 Rikki but does Crail not give kinda optimistic times?

And another thing is the Scottish meet in next month's F&M, the April edition? :thumbsup:

I'm totally clueless with regards to 1/4 mile times... but is that good ??

As soon as I get my motor remapped I'm gonna get it down a strip. :)

does Crail not give kinda optimistic times?

Crail is a downhill slope - and apparently not measured correctly.

The CRX-UK team for TOTB4 are not accepting qualification times from Crail as the general view is that they are too inaccurate!

Get it to Santa Pod!

does Crail not give kinda optimistic times?

Crail is a downhill slope - and apparently not measured correctly.

The CRX-UK team for TOTB4 are not accepting qualification times from Crail as the general view is that they are too inaccurate!

Get it to Santa Pod!

Sod driving all the way to the pod from Glasgow, thats 700 miles / 3.5 tanks of fuel / £120 on petrol alone! Then entry etc.

Crail's surface isnt at all good so that in itself drops people's times trying to get off the line (as you can see it just spins, even at 2500rpm launches).

Simon and Chris from TOTB are happy to accept results from Crail and unfortunately its the only 1/4 strip in the whole country :(

R.

Well, regardless I think that's pretty good mate.

Congrats, I bet you were well chuffed.  :thumbsup:

Yup, was honestly expecting mid 14's as its running with a downpipe and exhaust and although its got the Unichip it isnt mapped as it kept blowing the down pipe off the turbo. The ground was also still damp from the night before so getting off the line was tricky.

Going to Dastek on Thursday next week to be mapped then I'll take it back to Crail hopefully on a dry day and kick its **** in again LOL.

Even going on the inaccuracy reports of Crail I looked at other cars at Crail on the same day under samme inaccurate conditions and mine was the fastest MR2 on the day so well chuffed :D Check details at www.crailraceway.co.uk

R.

Simon and Chris from TOTB are happy to accept results from Crail

Heh, If I wasn't on the CRX-UK team, I know where I'd go to qualify!

13.8 is a very nice time mate :)

Is there not a strip at Edzell now Rikki??

Dont think willie can resurface the strip because of Scottish Heritage or National Trust or something so it wont improve. :(

Nice time though!! :thumbsup:

yeah i think crail go to edzell once a month dont they??

well neways thats a good time...considering i think crail includes ur reaction time doesnt it?, and santa pod doesnt?

yeah i think crail go to edzell once a month dont they??

well neways thats a good time...considering i think crail includes ur reaction time doesnt it?, and santa pod doesnt?

Crail doesnt include reactions thaknfully, Edzell is every so often but its an even further trek than Crail and its 90% always wet :(

R

oh it hought crail did include reaction times...as the clock starts when it goes green, but at santa pod ur time starts when u actually set-off.

not to offend anyone or anything, but it seems like u guys dont launch ur cars right. it seems like u just roll off instead of revving up and launching?? i dunno...

not to offend anyone or anything, but it seems like u guys dont launch ur cars right. it seems like u just roll off instead of revving up and launching?? i dunno...

That would be because the surface was damp and launching at 5000rpm and side stepping the clutch resulted in me sitting still turfing up dust and debris as the 300ZX made a break for freedom along the track. The results of this can be seen as the 300 is in front of me in the video but I am catching him up...

Here is the start line surface :

cruise-20.jpg

cruise-25.jpg

R.

Mister2 - contary to the american belief that uk people go on to a 1/4 mile drag strip, wait for the green light and suddenly say "golly, time to put the old girl into action, chocs away" and roll off the line whilst wearing driving goggles and beige driving gloves. we actually take 1/4 mile a little more seriously than that.

belive it or not we dont actually roll off the line, we actually try to put some effort into it.

no offence intended

pods good for 5000rpm launches isn't it. I intend to run in the summer, my friend used to run beetles, now they are silly make mr2s look very slow on 1/4s he alway said the problem with pod was too much grip, with the beetles you alway had the balance between bogging down or breaking the gearbox ...

pods good for 5000rpm launches isn't it.  I intend to run in the summer, my friend used to run beetles, now they are silly make mr2s look very slow on 1/4s he alway said the problem with pod was too much grip, with the beetles you alway had the balance between bogging down or breaking the gearbox ...

Yep, thats the same with any car. The track is so sticky compared to normal road surfaces. If you just dump the clutch at high revs, the wheels don't spin like they would on the road, hence much more torque through the transmission than the designers ever expected. IMO the safest way to lauch would be around 2k revs, let the clutch out softly whilst opening the throttle slightly to keep the revs constant. As soon as the clutch is all the way out and you are rolling, fully open the throttle swiftly but smoothly. Might not be the very fastest way off the line, but it beats either sitting there with a totalled gearbox, or sitting there smoking the tyres.

Those Crail pictures just look like normal tarmac. I can see why you have to launch fairly gently. If you've ever stood on the strip at Santa Pod you would know it's like a huge rubber surface, with a near mirror finish. It's so sticky that your shoes stick to the track, kind of like in a nightclub with a really beer stained soggy carpet!

none taken. but i dont mean to completely dump from like 5000rpm. even if it was damp, slipping the clutch from around 5000 would still get u off the land fairly quick. and im not trying to say that u guys get sissy about launching. its just that from the video, it looked like not that many people launch.

as the 300ZX made a break for freedom along the track

:unsure: 300zx's have absolutly crap traction....heaps of power via rwd with no weight over there rear wheels (apart from being a boat in general) makes for very poor traction.

Anyway they looked like sweet runs :) Didn't look like many people there?? Im to shy to put mine down the track as the only time they have them THOUSANDS of people come to watch etc. :(

Racing the celica....was it a GT-4?? if so cool to see the MR2 take it off the mark B)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

none taken. but i dont mean to completely dump from like 5000rpm. even if it was damp, slipping the clutch from around 5000 would still get u off the land fairly quick. and im not trying to say that u guys get sissy about launching. its just that from the video, it looked like not that many people launch.

???... If I dumped the clutch at 5000rpm in the wet/damp, no matter what I would just spin like a trooper. Even with brand new tyres on!

as the 300ZX made a break for freedom along the track

:unsure: 300zx's have absolutly crap traction....heaps of power via rwd with no weight over there rear wheels (apart from being a boat in general) makes for very poor traction.

Anyway they looked like sweet runs :) Didn't look like many people there?? Im to shy to put mine down the track as the only time they have them THOUSANDS of people come to watch etc. :(

Racing the celica....was it a GT-4?? if so cool to see the MR2 take it off the mark B)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

The 300ZX guy had used the trackbefore, it was my first time on the 1/4 mile in 4 years. The Celica was a GT4 :)

Only thing to beat me all day was a friend in his MR2 tubby with a shed load of mods but I beat his best time later on.

My results table : http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/select_run.a...unDate=20050206

R.

i think you should beat a gt4 off the mark considering its 100 kilos or so heavier , he must of tweaked the 3sgte more than you if he won the race.

pods good for 5000rpm launches isn't it.  I intend to run in the summer, my friend used to run beetles, now they are silly make mr2s look very slow on 1/4s he alway said the problem with pod was too much grip, with the beetles you alway had the balance between bogging down or breaking the gearbox ...

also at the pod you have to remember they purposely scrub old slicks on the back of a tractor onto the deck to give you some abrasion when launching

i think you should beat a gt4 off the mark considering its 100 kilos or so heavier , he must of tweaked the 3sgte more than you if he won the race.

A GT4 is more than likely quicker from standstill due to the 4WD advantage. This celica has a quicker 60ft time which suggests this as well. But the MR2 had a quicker quarter time, must have made it up further down the track.

Also, terminal speed is a very good indicator of power output, and in this case the MR2 has a slighter faster TS than the celica.

Mister2, letting the clutch out slowly at 5000 rpm is being a bit hard on the clutch. Its likely to lead to overheating/glazing and excessively fast wear. Even more so on a high output modded car.

???... If I dumped the clutch at 5000rpm in the wet/damp, no matter what I would just spin like a trooper. Even with brand new tyres on!

dumping and slipping are 2 completely different things jim. to me, dumping= rev up then side step. slipping = rev up then let the clutch out slowly to where it catches then completely let it go once it has caught all the way and u have traction. if you slip the clutch correctly, u will never spin off the line. maybe occasional tire chirp, but thats it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links