Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crail 1/4 Mile Mr2 Fun

Rikki

i think you should beat a gt4 off the mark considering its 100 kilos or so heavier , he must of tweaked the 3sgte more than you if he won the race.

A GT4 is more than likely quicker from standstill due to the 4WD advantage. This celica has a quicker 60ft time which suggests this as well. But the MR2 had a quicker quarter time, must have made it up further down the track.

Also, terminal speed is a very good indicator of power output, and in this case the MR2 has a slighter faster TS than the celica.

Mister2, letting the clutch out slowly at 5000 rpm is being a bit hard on the clutch. Its likely to lead to overheating/glazing and excessively fast wear. Even more so on a high output modded car.

so its safe to say the gt4 whoops the mr2 turbo ????

i think you should beat a gt4 off the mark considering its 100 kilos or so heavier , he must of tweaked the 3sgte more than you if he won the race.

A GT4 is more than likely quicker from standstill due to the 4WD advantage. This celica has a quicker 60ft time which suggests this as well. But the MR2 had a quicker quarter time, must have made it up further down the track.

Also, terminal speed is a very good indicator of power output, and in this case the MR2 has a slighter faster TS than the celica.

Mister2, letting the clutch out slowly at 5000 rpm is being a bit hard on the clutch. Its likely to lead to overheating/glazing and excessively fast wear. Even more so on a high output modded car.

so its safe to say the gt4 whoops the mr2 turbo ????

No I wouldn't say it's safe....the MR2 has AWESOME traction off the mark with all the weight above the rear wheels, over in Japan where they really do it properly the MR2 are made to go in the 4wd class with the evo's etc. mind you they pull consistant easy 10's ;)

It will take a bit more skill to launch the MR2 as good as a 4wd but IMO it isn't that hard...a bit of practice and you will be just as good. 4wd's then loose more power throught the drivetrain as you move up through the gears.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I won the race, he got off the line quicker. Only had 6 runs the whole day and next time I'll know better - eg: lower the rear tyre pressure, slip clutch a bit, use octane booster, have a mapped chip etc.

R.

• 3 years later...

Resurrected this post after being at Crail at the weekend. There were a couple or 3 MR2s running which were fast! Unfortunately, with showers that morning, the start was greasy as i found trying to launch the RAV4 - first time I've ever got it to spin its wheels as it normally just lifts off the front.

Did 9 runs and the best I got was 15.1 secs. I'm getting launch times of 2 secs 0-60' since using the diff lock, but the final 1/8 is still disappointing - probably due to the brick-like aerodynamics and the transmission drag. Previous runs best was 15.4 so I think I must be improving my technique somehow! Despite gaining yet another stone after the holiday.....maybe I need to shed half my weight to get sub 15sec times!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, it was nice to give some folks a surprise seeing a RAV attempting a 1/4 mile!

I'd to sleek off to the toilets after running against the red BMW and losing - mainly cos I shifted from 2nd gear to 5th gear - honest :wacko: which resulted in the 16+ secs time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links