Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lsd ?

Mr2dude

Hi,

How can I tell if my car has an LSD in it ? I need to order replacement driveshaft, but guy on phone says only way to tell is be removing existing driveshaft an looking inside gearbox for a "little hole, big hole or diagonal bar going across".

Is there easier way to tell without taking anything off. It means car will be stripped down a few days while i wait for parts, instead of getting whole job done in a day.

Cheers

Steve

p.s. Its a turbo engine btw

or if you dont have a jack to do that....

find a piece of private land, (gravel would be good), in 1st gear, drive in a circle at full lock, then floor the accelerator

If the inside wheel just spins, and the outside one remains at normal speed, you dont have a LSD

if you have one, then (apart from the car spinning around) the wheels will turn at similar rates..

Just jacked it up...

Turn one wheel forwards, other wheel goes backwards.

But guys at fensport says, this is not proper test, because if i have a "bias-bar" ? (Is this the right word, mabey he said "balance-bar" ?) then it would happen with an LSD fitted also.

Does that make sense ?

Sorry it's not got a LSD fella.

It doesnt matter if it's a Tubo engine, It was only an option for a Rev 1 and 2.

But came as standard from Rev 3 upwards

Fidgits option is the more fun way of testing though. :P

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

For models produced intended for the US, from the model revision in late 1992 onwards a limited slip differential was standard for all Turbos - previously in the 90-92 model years it was an option. It is not known if a LSD was also standard for Japanese Turbos from '92 onwards, although its appears to also be the case.

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example,    A/TM:-    735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.

The second part of the code is the transmission type- E153 is a heavy duty manual transmission for the Turbo.

coutesy of Ben Formesyn :thumbsup:

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

For models produced intended for the US, from the model revision in late 1992 onwards a limited slip differential was standard for all Turbos - previously in the 90-92 model years it was an option. It is not known if a LSD was also standard for Japanese Turbos from '92 onwards, although its appears to also be the case.

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example,     A/TM:-    735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.

The second part of the code is the transmission type- E153 is a heavy duty manual transmission for the Turbo.

coutesy of Ben Formesyn :thumbsup:

The car is not a complete car. The engine is sitting in UK 1992 T-Bar, so VIN wont help here much. Thanks for the post though.

Round & round we go......time to make "checking if I have an LSD" a sticky I think. A search would have found the answer. The stock LSD on the mr2 is a viscous type lsd. If you turn one wheel, it will act like an open diff so that WON'T WORK. The stock LSD is NOT a positraction or locked differential.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links