Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Me! Mr2 Wont Start!

CraigT

Went to start my MR2 this morning, turned the key, started to crank about twice followed by a flat noise which sound like the noise a radio controlled car makes (if you can imagine that).

Turned the key off then tried to crank again. This time no cranking, just the flat radio controlled car type sound.

Erm, I dont know much about cars but I was thinking the starter motor??

Can anyone tell me whether this is what it is, or suggest anything else it might be. I hope its not expensive coz Im trying to save some cash to take the missus and the baby on holiday this year :(

I didnt check but the Battery is only a few months old.

Besides it wasnt doing the usual cranking sound which made me thing it was the starter motor or something.

Im in work now so I cant do anything except ask you clever MR2 lovers for advice :thumbsup:

Its still doing it this morning. I only drove it the day before but not for a couple of days before that.

The Battery meter on the dash is inbetween mid to high, although saying that, it said that on my last Battery which was knackered!

Again this morning no cranking just a kind of noise that a kids Battery operated toy or remote control car would make when I turn the key.

I suppose I could always get a new battery and if it doesnt fix the problem, take it back?

This is the Toyota gods paying me back for driving my missus' MG ZR for the last few days :unsure:

EDIT: All the lights etc seem to be working.

:lol: why would you drive that??only joking,the Battery can have charge just not enough to start has it been frost near you??(it kills batterys)is it a clicking sound/wurring sound??

Oh well just changed the Battery in the rain and wind only for it to do exactly the same. A whurring noise like you described, but still no luck :(

sounds like its the starter motor, get someone to turn the key while u 'tap' the starter motor with a hammer and see if it releases itself.

if it was the Battery at fault then it clicks like mad not a whirring sound, my Battery goes flat if i dont use my car for a few days and the noise off it is noticeable.

Thanks for the advice.

Where is the starter motor exactly (Im a right noob when it comes to cars) and what will tapping it do?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links