Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Well The Downpipe Is On

BLOODUK

Wow im really impressed pick up the car and from the first start up it sounded more meaty , it looked awsome in the engine bay nice n shiny apparantly took them 5 hrs to sort, two bolts broke. Gave the car time to warm up and took it for a quick boost, it sounds awsome not too loud but very meaty and tone to it on throttle!. Peformance increase was noticable really puts you back in your seat, i still get a slight bit of turbo lag but thats ok as the turbo spools quicker.

Oh and... FLAMES from the exhaust

Car is also getting booked in sometime next week for a timing belt change and new alternator bearing

Hey Earl i notice your running 1.2bar is that the new turbo hybrid thingy?

Only fourth and fifth gear i can hold it at 1bar, cant seem to get it to 1.1

and the other gears 0.9

Dont understand why through all the gears arnt going upto 1bar or 1.1

only 4 and 5th :(

Hey Earl i notice your running 1.2bar is that the new turbo hybrid thingy?

Only fourth and fifth gear i can hold it at 1bar, cant seem to get it to 1.1

and the other gears 0.9

CT20b mate. Cool as!

Just running it in for a couple of days before giving it some welly. Should be good for around 17-18psi.

Gonna git me in the 12's if it kills me.

Wooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............................. :lol:

"Flames from the exhaust"

I'd love to know how u test that ! I just bought a Turbo car, which is fitted with downpipe already and now and then i hear a "popping" sound which i think is flames but there's no way to know.

There's also a "Ptshhheee" noise which i know is the dump valve.

I also hear a knocking sound from time to time, which is something else, (suspension needs fixing i think), but that popping sound I would love to have knowledge it was flames out the pipes.

It can happen from fairly non high speed gear changes (e.g. 2nd to 3rd not hammering it at all, around 45mph ish). Cant really describe it any better.

Driving at night if the scenery lights up behind you; then thats a pretty certain way of telling.

Or if you have a video/camera phone and give it a bit of gas on idle then this might happen.

8fd65d2c.jpg

wickid stuff!!!

I have just had the money through for my wheels so i will order mine soon its good to hear you get flames and noticed better spool up.

Cant wait now.

when you buy the down pipe does it come with everything you need to do it? eg if old bolts break wher do you get replacements?

There's more load on the engine in 4th and 5th... very much like going up a hill in third... you'll get the same effect.

When me and my mate take the car out hooked up to the laptop we always use a stretch of road, stick it in 4th and pull from low down.

Thanks for the sound clips anyway mate... sounds sweet.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Jesus, shame the turbo died two days after the downpipe went on

still not bad the turbo lasted 10 years;)

Still not had 100% proof, but I suspect I do have flames !

Say i accelerate from standing start almost, get to high revs quick in 1st, then shift quick upto 2nd, and accelerate for a little bit in 2nd, then ease off throttle (for instance, entering a roundabout from standing start. Once I've lifted off, a couple of seconds later, I hear the Popping sound. Initially i thought it was mechanical problem, but after hearing it more, dont sound like mechanical at all, it sounds like "popping of bubble/eardrums" type noise.

Is this when flames would be expected the most ? After a short quick accelerate, then easing off the throttle and under slight engine braking ?

Steve

The easiest way to make a flame/pop is to give it some boost - say in 3rd - don't even have to be going fast - then lift off the accelerator really quickly and then tap it slightly on gear change.

I assume it's beacuase as the dump valve ditches the boost the unmetered air goes for a split second and the slight overfuelling that results is ignited.

It's kind of addictive :)

Like you said - you will tend to find after driving pretty quick out on open roads - when you come back into town you can get some REALLY loud bangs hehe

I know what you mean though - I wish you could see exactly what is going on from the back of the car when you hear it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe my missus just followed me down to the garage to get the new suspension fitted and I have definite proof I have flames ! Great !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links