Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Tyre Size

philjones1978

At the mo I've got 175/65 R14 on my car all round but the fronts are wearing a bit thin. Still legal though. In the glove box it says that 180/60 R14 are also usable. I've noticed that they seem a bit cheaper, look better (lower profile and wider from the front) and should grip better. However, I'm wondering if it's ok to have slightly wider tyres on the front for a while? I can't see it making a massive difference. Will tyre shops allow me to do this? Especially as I'm not buying the tyres from them. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Not a problem. So long as you`ve got the same size of tyre on both sides of the same axle it`s perfectly legal. :thumbsup:

yep the difference will be barely noticed with such as small change like that.

I did some tests a while back with my 17's and standard toyota alloys which came in 14" with huge tyres on and that was interesting while I did it.

At the mo I've got 175/65 R14 on my car all round but the fronts are wearing a bit thin. Still legal though. In the glove box it says that 180/60 R14 are also usable. I've noticed that they seem a bit cheaper, look better (lower profile and wider from the front) and should grip better. However, I'm wondering if it's ok to have slightly wider tyres on the front for a while? I can't see it making a massive difference. Will tyre shops allow me to do this? Especially as I'm not buying the tyres from them.  Any thoughts gratefully received.

Most tyre shops will do it, as long as you're not putting a tyre on that's too wide for the rim or that does not have the minimum load rating of the OE tyres (5½ inch wide wheels are approved for up to 205 series tyres by the tyre manufacturers). It actually makes sense for a FWD car. I've got 195/60R14 all around on my '93, but before that, I had mismatched 185/65R14 (OE size for 1.8 models, 1.6 models got 175/65R14), with the two fronts having the best grip. Made for some interesting handling characteristics, especially in the wet (read: sudden and unexpected transitions from understeer to oversteer). Wider tyres will give a noticeable improvement, though... my car now scurries around corners at highly unlikely speeds when asked to, and makes not a sound in the process, save for the scrubbing sounds of the Bridgestone Potenzas clinging on for dear life.

Most tyre shops will do it, as long as you're not putting a tyre on that's too wide for the rim or that does not have the minimum load rating of the OE tyres (5½ inch wide wheels are approved for up to 205 series tyres by the tyre manufacturers). It actually makes sense for a FWD car. I've got 195/60R14 all around on my '93,

But all owners running 14 inch rims beware if you fit 205/60r14, I think they can catch on the rears

I theory the accelaration and top speed will be slightly better as you're giving the wheels/tyres a smaller circumference.

All these Chavs that wack 18s on Nova's don't realise that they are making a slow car even slower by doing so.

Simple maths really!! ;)

I theory the accelaration and top speed will be slightly better as you're giving the wheels/tyres a smaller circumference.

All these Chavs that wack 18s on Nova's don't realise that they are making a slow car even slower by doing so.

Simple maths really!! ;)

And when this oversized wheel and tyre combo weights 20-25kg (44-55lb) compared to stock ap. 14kg, it is really gonna hit your performance and fuel economics... :wacko:

Simple maths really!! ;)

And when this oversized wheel and tyre combo weights 20-25kg (44-55lb) compared to stock ap. 14kg, it is really gonna hit your performance and fuel economics... :wacko:

Exactly!!!

Gutted. I can't find Goodyear Eagle Venturas in 180/60 R14 anywhere on sale on line. They've been a really good buy. 2 years and 17,000 miles out of the fronts. And I don't drive like a nun either. Any ideas on what to replace them with? I have £40 a tyre or so to spend.

Gutted. I can't find Goodyear Eagle Venturas in 180/60 R14 anywhere on sale on line. They've been a really good buy. 2 years and 17,000 miles out of the fronts. And I don't drive like a nun either. Any ideas on what to replace them with? I have £40 a tyre or so to spend.

Pirelli P6000?

They always did the job for me, and I do have a fairly heavy right foot. My local place does them for £28 inc VAT each.

Simple maths really!! ;)

Doesn't more acceleration = less top speed????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links