Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jury Service

Blue84

You'll get parking expenses and lunch allowance.  There is some sort of pay allowance if your employer doesn't pay you anyway.

You'll often wait in the Jury room until mid/late morning before being dismissed - don't park in your employers car park if they'll expect you to go in at that time!

Well I've filled in the form tonight, and will post that back tomorrow. It's got a full breakdown of what they pay for certain costs and stuff...but's only brief, have got to wait until they said the full information pack through. I'm pretty sure that my workplace will continue to pay me through it all.

So do you have to stay available for two whole weeks? Or is it just til the trial is over with and after that you have to go back to work? :unsure:

As for parking..it's a permit holder floor at the top of a public multi storey car park, my colleagues who park there will know my car obviously but it's not directly linked to the company so I can park there whenever I want!

And I'm not religious either, so will have to do the affirming thing <_<

Cheers for that folks!

(I knew there was I reason I'm not a lawyer... - apart from not having studied law fo couse :ph34r: )

A

So do you have to stay available for two whole weeks? Or is it just til the trial is over with and after that you have to go back to work?  :unsure:

You have to remain available for as long as you are needed.. if it's a murder case.. you could find yourself there for months.

Even if your employer is going to pay you.. don't tell the courts.. ask your employer to say they aren't paying you., and get the courts to pay you too :D

So do you have to stay available for two whole weeks? Or is it just til the trial is over with and after that you have to go back to work?  :unsure:

You have to remain available for as long as you are needed.. if it's a murder case.. you could find yourself there for months.

Even if your employer is going to pay you.. don't tell the courts.. ask your employer to say they aren't paying you., and get the courts to pay you too :D

I'm sure toc does not condone such actions. :rolleyes:

I'm sure toc does not condone such actions. :rolleyes:

I do!!! Go on my son, get double wage! :D

I did jury service a few years back. Full pay, expenses, long lunches and early finishes - it was great :thumbsup:

Ended up on an attempted murder case which was pretty interesting too! The guy ended up going down for 6 years. I've passed the victim on the street since (only the once) - hopefully won't see the other guy :eek:

I told my Section Leader that I have been summoned for it, and she said "no probs I'll put it in the holiday book"..so thats good, I thought they might be a bit funny about it! Sent the form back today too, so will await the rest of the information to come through.

I told my Section Leader that I have been summoned for it, and she said "no probs I'll put it in the holiday book"..so thats good, I thought they might be a bit funny about it! Sent the form back today too, so will await the rest of the information to come through.

Not good in my book.. doesn't that mean that the time you are having off for dury duty they are putting down as holiday's?.. if so i'd tell them "no way! :angry: .. i have dury service and i have to go whether you like it or not". they don't have a choice.

Company's who are inconvieneced by a staff member on dury duty can apply to have a replacement staff member employed, and there wages paid by the courts (or wahoever pays it) but maybe only if the service is for a longer period of time ( you won't know how long the case will last)

I would honestly tell them it's NOT counting as holidays.. you don't want to spend your holiday's in a court room do you???. it should be unpaid leave.. but the courts pay your wages .. so you don't loose out.

I would honestly tell them it's NOT counting as holidays.. you don't want to spend your holiday's in a court room do you???.  it should be unpaid leave.. but the courts pay your wages .. so you don't loose out.

Completely agreed. Jury service is a Statutary obligation for both the individual and the employer - they can't count it as holiday.

Ended up on an attempted murder case which was pretty interesting too! The guy ended up going down for 6 years. I've passed the victim on the street since (only the once) - hopefully won't see the other guy

how can you pass the victim of a murder case on the street??? :huh:

at least it was but the once :D :D

at least i suppose when they call me up (if they do) i can claim being dutch and not able to speak the language very well. B)

rickers

Ended up on an attempted murder case which was pretty interesting too! The guy ended up going down for 6 years. I've passed the victim on the street since (only the once) - hopefully won't see the other guy

how can you pass the victim of a murder case on the street??? :huh:

at least it was but the once :D :D

at least i suppose when they call me up (if they do) i can claim being dutch and not able to speak the language very well. B)

rickers

Thats what I thought - would've been scary, seeing the dead person..

But then read..

attempted murder
.. :lol:

Here is my understanding of some of the points raised:

1. You can not refuse to do Jury service unless you are a lawyer, a prison officer or have spent time in prison (I think there are a few more exceptions as well such as people receiving treatments like Chemotherapy, employees of the court services etc.)

2. Your employer can not refuse you time off work to attend and if they do so they are in contempt of court

3. Your employer does not have to pay you for your absence unless it is specifically mentioned in your contract that you are entitled to pay for this type of leave

4. If your employer doesn't pay you the court will compensate you but not necessarily your full wages

5. The court will ask you employer (via a form given to you) whether you are to be paid or not - it is therfore impossible to claim that you are not being paid when in fact you are

5. The court will ask you employer (via a form given to you) whether you are to be paid or not - it is therfore impossible to claim that you are not being paid when in fact you are

Unless your employer is good to you.. like mine was... hehehe double pay for 3 days :)

I did jury service. The expenses were £40 per day and I didn’t get my wages mad.gif so I lost a lot of money

You SHOULD have received your FULL wages from the court.. THEY can't expect it to cost YOU money when it's THEM that are calling upon your services. in Scotland this is the case.

Had a letter for the jury service thingy todo twice before, both times I said my english wasn't very good, cos I am not english. got away with it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links