Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Guess The Noise

yarisman

Hello, I recently bought a Toyota Yaris 1.0 GS (1999) T reg and it seems to be making an unusual noise ... my garage can only fit me in a week on Wednesday to check it out so here is your chance to suggest what the problem is. I will be as clear as I can about it and if you wish to know more, please reply, otherwise, leave your diagnosis as a reply .... I will post the actual cause of the noise up here when I know for sure what it is...

OK, here goes ...

When putting into first gear and driving (normally or accelerating) there is no unusual sound.

When CHANGING into 2nd, 3rd or 4th or 5th gear - no unusual sound.

When driving normally in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear - no unusual sound.

When depressing the accelerator more than usual (i.e. for overtaking or getting out of sticky situations (or testing for the unusual sound :) ) then the unusual sound appears - please note no unusual sound of this in 1st gear.

If in neutral coasting and revving, no unusual sound.

I took a colleague for a spin and he was sat in the passenger seat and when you could hear the "unusual noise", he said he could feel a slight vibration through the passender seat floor footwell (near the bulkhead end).

The noise sounds like something rattling round spinning in a tin type noise (if thats of any use ;) )

He seems to think a gearbox issue as he says it only happens when in gear (apart from 1st).

Over to you guys ... guess away....

Thanks.

Someone else stated this but would "pinking" be felt through the floor of the passenger seat area? I've heard pinking before (when I owned an old Yugo :) but could only hear it when head under bonnet on the Yugo ... this noise is much "heavier" ...

i have a similar prob in my clio at the moment, turns out when i was in first gear it causes more vibrations (as expected) and it was causing the exaust bracket to rattle. which also could be felt in the passenger foot well. any thoughts?

i have a similar prob in my clio at the moment, turns out when i was in first gear it causes more vibrations (as expected) and it was causing the exaust bracket to rattle. which also could be felt in the passenger foot well. any thoughts?

Recommend you try a search on http://www.cliosport.co.uk ;)

Thanks for the replies. "Get a service" - great advice ;) - but this topic is for you mechheads (as well as my mates) to guess what the prob will actually turn out to be ...

Any more ideas anyone ? keep em coming... :thumbsup:

Sounds like the rear g/box mount,but they aint common to go on yaris.Also try brake pipes rattling in there holders (sounds wierd but starlets had that prob)

Just a guesstimate :thumbsup:

Sounds like the rear g/box mount,but they aint common to go on yaris.Also try brake pipes rattling in there holders (sounds wierd but starlets had that prob)

Just a guesstimate :thumbsup:

Gearbox mounts! There's a thought! I suppose if its from 2nd upwards the vibration / knocking may only kick in then ... I'll check the bolts ... keep em coming !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links