Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Chian Or Belt?

bigrobb

i have a 2.0 diesel corolla estate. now the othernight i got told it had a timing chain, is this true ?

What sort of age and engine type are we talking about here,

The manual for my Corolla (2004 spec) states a timiing belt change is due for D4D engines at 60,000 miles.

This would mean current diesels have belts not chains.

I'm pretty sure that all celicas and corolla use chains and not timing belts.

Mmmm.... then why does my Corolla handbook recommend changing timing belts on the diesel engine at 60k????

its a v plate so thats 99' i think cheers

Then sorry I don't know........... the recommend belt change (on diesels) referred to in my handbook relates to the current spec.....your is out of the range covered by my handbook.

I'm sure there must be somebody who knows the answer to this in here....

I'm pretty sure that all celicas and corolla use chains and not timing belts.

Mmmm.... then why does my Corolla handbook recommend changing timing belts on the diesel engine at 60k????

Its all to do with terminology. You have two belts on your engine, and one of these is changed at 60k. Do the timing belt is actaully a chain I believe

Its all to do with terminology. You have two belts on your engine, and one of these is changed at 60k. Do the timing belt is actaully a chain I believe

Now it's getting really confusing........

So to attempt to clarify what I was saying,

ref. my engine (which BTW is a t-sport not a diesel check out my sig.) is that it has:-

1 - A timing chain to drive the camshafts .

2 - A drive belt to drive the alternator etc etc

However my handbook also covers the current diesel model and it refers to them needing a timing belt change at 60,000 miles. So the from that I deduce the current diesel has

1 - A timing belt to drive the camshaft (this is what needs changing at 60,000 miles)

2 - A drive belt to drive the alternator etc etc

Easiest way to settle this is to go out to your car tomorrow, pop the bonnet and take the timing belt/chain cover off and have a look.

who'd have thought that such an innocent question could be so hard to answer :P

Rich

can nobody help me out???

YES...i can help :) , but i need some help from you first, i have a timing belt fitting book in my hand, it covers all models up to 1998 .

Going buy the list of diesel toyota engines with timing belts ,is your engine one of the following....1C, 1C-T, 2C ,2C-T, you should find the engine code on the rocker cover or it maybe on the chassis plate, let me know :)

Done a bit more digging....If your car has a model code CE110 ( look on chassis plate ) then it will have a 2CE engine ,which has a timing belt.

I was under the impression that the non-VVTi engines in the Corolla (ie. the petrols from before the facelift in 99/00 with the new headlights, engine changes and a few other bits) - which were the 1.3 and 1.6 - were with timing belts, and that all the diesels in modern Corollas (from the 1997 model up to current models) were timing belt.

FYI my '01 Corolla handbook lists that the diesel requires a timing belt change, which seems to refer to the older 1.9 (listed as engine model 1WZ) - it mentions the timing belt change under "Additional health items for corolla 1.9 litre diesel", at 5 years or 72k miles.

Which diesel engine is it you have in your car? Is it the facelifted version of the corolla or does it have the frog eyed headlights? Does anyone know if the diesel engine the same model before and after the facelift in 99/00?

I've taken some of my info from a ADL-Blueprint EPC, it lists a timing belt for the early diesel 2CE engine....then no listing for the 1WZ engine, then the later 2.0DT diesel is listed as having a belt Engine type 1CDFTV, model code CDE110.

Like i said ,i need Bigrobb model code and engine code to be sure !.

right ok iven not been on in a couple of days so excuse my late reply lol.

right iv not had a look under the bonnet yet so im not sure bout which type it is.

i know its not the facelift corolla but the "frogy" one lol. it is a 2.0D and its a V plate so thats 99'

right ok iven not been on in a couple of days so excuse my late reply lol.

right iv not had a look under the bonnet yet so im not sure bout which type it is.

i know its not the facelift corolla but the "frogy" one lol. it is a 2.0D and its a V plate so thats 99'

Okay, if going to look under your bonnet is to much trouble :rolleyes: , what size engine do you have ,looking on the registration document, if it has a 1975cc engine, then it has a timing belt :) .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links