Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Corolla Gs - What Next

sparco_blues

Hi everyone, i have a 1997 corolla with the very reliable 4E-FE engine, had it on the rolling road and can out reading 82bhp, which is good but not the best currently i have the follow mods done, Jetex back box, coldair induction kit, ecotek valve, replaced plugs, HT leads. I wanna get as much as i can out of the engine so waht can i do, I wanna get the cat taken out, and have a custom system done by exhausts-uk, ive been told a performance manifold would be a good move, but dont know where to get one for this model, also what about remapping and any other parts available or little tricks im looking at trying to get to the 120bhp mark

had it on the rolling road and can out reading 82bhp, which is good but not the best currently i have the follow mods done, Jetex back box, coldair induction kit, ecotek valve, replaced plugs, HT leads.

I know this is a dumb question, but is that 82bhp AT THE WHEEL

I only ask because 82-84 bhp is standard for that engine, so I expected a bit more from the mods you've done.

I don't personally think it would be a good idea to mod the 4AFE engine as it is a commuter's engine for economy not power. I also drive a corolla 4AFE, but after doing the math on the amount i would spend on moding that engine it would cost loads & all i would be getting will be 150bhp or similar. But when it gets boosted that high the internals (pistons, valves etc.) may not handle the power and would generate more heat and may burn out! I have now decided on the Fensport 4AGE 20v conversion (£1300), as that is a true sports engine (redlining at 8.2k!!) that would handle power upto 300bhp or similar. This engine also has a long list of posible mods from many top Japanese manufacturers. If you plan on having your car for long term this would be the best investment <_<

Hi everyone, i have a 1997 corolla with the very reliable 4E-FE engine, had it on the rolling road and can out reading 82bhp................ im looking at trying to get to the 120bhp mark

You want an extra 50% more horspower from a normally aspirated 1300cc engine?

Sorry but it won't happen.

ae111sr Posted Today, 01:23 PM

You want an extra 50% more horspower from a normally aspirated 1300cc engine?

Sorry but it won't happen.

:yes::yes::yes: With the Toyota 4EFE you are correct :yes::yes::yes:

However with something like an old BMC A Series or Ford Flathead you may get nearly that much increase.

Hi everyone, i have a 1997 corolla with the very reliable 4E-FE engine, had it on the rolling road and can out reading 82bhp, which is good but not the best currently i have the follow mods done, Jetex back box, coldair induction kit, ecotek valve, replaced plugs, HT leads. I wanna get as much as i can out of the engine so waht can i do, I wanna get the cat taken out, and have a custom system done by exhausts-uk, ive been told a performance manifold would be a good move, but dont know where to get one for this model, also what about remapping and any other parts available or little tricks im looking at trying to get to the 120bhp mark

82 bhp at the wheels is doing ok, since the 4E-FE from the factory EE111 puts out 85 bhp from at the crank. By my estimate, that's about 96 bhp at the flywheel, which is getting close to the Japanese market EE101's 99 bhp at the flywheel. If you want more power, your best (and easiest) bet is putting in a 4E-FTE from a Japan market EP82/EP91 Starlet GT Turbo/Glanza V. Puts out 133-135 bhp in stock form, and capable of quite a bit more.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links