Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reading Error Codes

dj_davo

so it seems i finally located my abs ecu, for some reason on my car its under the glovebox - anyway...

following what the bgb manual says i have disconnected the abs actuator service connector with the ignition on and then bridged TC and E1 (with the good ol' paperclip) on the diagnostic box in the engine bay.

instead of getting some nice flashing ABS light (telling me exactly where the problem lies) all i get is a steady flashing of the P/S (powersteering light) instead. the steady flashing is an indication that all is working there (which is good) but doesn't explain why the ABS (the actual fault) doesn't flash.

i even disconnected various other service connectors and bridged the diagnostic box and every time it flashed P/S.

if i cant identify where the ABS system is at fault its gonna be a long and annoying exercise trying to remedy!

can any paperclip experts give me some help here please? :unsure:

did you take out the big silver bridging pin.

did you take out the big silver bridging pin.

? you mean the paperclip, after i have bridged E1 and TC. yep removed it every time after use.

on doing some more checks just now and cross referencing with the manual im 99% certain that it is infact the ABS ECU at fault, so i dont fancy buying one until i can check first. may have to ask nicely at a local jap breakers if i can borrow one for a few minutes to check - of course i will buy it off em if needed. :rolleyes:

would anyone with ABS (i assume it doesnt have to be a tubby)? around sheffield like to meet up one day very soon to lend me theirs?

MOT in a few weeks :!Removed!:

no not the paperclip, on my celica in the first 2 pins as you look at the diagnostics plug there is a metal pin joining the first 2 pins , this has to be removed to check the abs system.i didnt have to disconnect anything whilst testing my celica , dont see why the mr2 should be any different ,but i'm not into mr2 's so i could be wrong.

diagblock.jpg

hmmm not sure about that fella, my manual doesnt mention to remove owt like this but because of that i never looked.

i will defo have a looksie in the morning - may be the problem im searching for, cheers. :thumbsup:

however as it stands at the mo' because my ABS light stays on constant the error code chart seems to indicate that this is an ABS ecu problem (still doesnt explain why the P/S (powersteering) flashes?!)

admittedly i havent done any ohms tests yet on the ecu and sensors yet either.

will let you know about the bridging pin tomorrow :thumbsup:

if its missing i think thats why the light stays on . :thumbsup:

this info was given to me by a toyota mechanic at my local dealership when i was having problems.

hmmm

well i defo dont have one, but my diagnostic box is slightly different to the one you have (different shape, pin locations etc).

i could try bridging 2 together that look like your 2 and then do the test, but if i end up bridging the wrong ones i could fry something :unsure:

saying that, i have never touched the diagnostic box before and the abs used to work so i dont really think it will be this :wacko:

could still do with borrowing someones ABS ECU for 2 minutes - mini meet in sheffield anyone? :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links