Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Worrying Sound

YAKONAMA

NEW MEMBER HERE!

HI ALL,

CAN ANYONE HELP ME...I'VE NOT HAD MY 2 VERY LONG, ITS A 1999 REVISION 5 NA, COVERED ONLY 37,000. RECENTLY I'VE BEEN HEARING A QUICK TAPPING SOUND COMING FROM THE ENGINE BAY, THE NOISE IS LIKE A PIECE OF PAPER FLAPPING IN THE WIND AND GETS PROGRESSIVELY QUICKER UNDER HARD ACCELERATION(THE QUICKER I GO THE QUICKER THE TAPPING NOISE IS), IT DOESN'T START TO HAPPEN UNTIL THE ENGINE IS WARM AND IT WILL THEN MAKE ITSELF HEARD EVERY TIME I ACCELERATE BUT ALWAYS STOPS WHEN I TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE THROTTLE....NEEDLESS TO SAY I'M EFFING PUZZLED. I HAD THE CAMBELT CHANGED DURING ITS SERVICE LAST WEEK AND I WAS HOPING IT WOULD JUST DISAPPEAR YET STILL THE NOISE REMAINS. I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DEALER FOR HIS THOUGHTS BUT DIDN'T WANT TO BE FOBBED OFF WITH HIS GUESSES!

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND THAT IT ISN'T GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE, I'D RATHER BE SPENDING MY MONEY ON SOME NEW WHEELS! :help:

Did it appear straight after the cam belt change?

If so the timing could be slightly out and it's pinking. :thumbsup:

(turn your cap's lock off, you're deafening us :P :lol: )

No it was happening before the belt change and i was hoping that would sort the problem out...sadly not. I've only had the car since October and the noise started about a month ago. If the timing was off wouldn't i hear the noise whether the engine was hot or cold...? do you think it could be something to do with the air filter as it sucks in cold air when the engine is hot? :thumbsup:

Could be tappets, big end or small end bearing problem then, especially if it comes on when the engines warm.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? if the pressure drops when it gets warm the signs are not that good i'm afraid :(

check your timing belt and alternator belt ,if its speeds up and down its gotta be a part that speeds up and down also.if it was the engine the noise would be more prominant of a metal on metal sound.

Does it happen only when it's raining or is it all the time?

I had a similar "flapping" sound coming from what sounded like the engine bay in my Rev3. It turned out the noise was coming from the little air vents on the sides of the car just behind the rear quarter windows. There was a rubber piece in there that for some reason flapped making a wierd flapping/gurgling noise. It also seemed to progress with the cabin itself warming up and varied with speed and obviously not present when the car was at a standstill. It was worse when it rained.

Just another thought... :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links