Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Query...

System~G

Hiyup peoples B)

Just a quick one on behalf of someone else.

Car starting problems - or not starting as the case may be.

Engine doesn't turn - he just hears a "clicking" sound when the key is turned in the barrel.

Problem started happening just before the weekend and the bloke has fitted new leads, dizzy and rotor.

But I'd say faulty starter motor or relay or something along that line and not Battery or ignition components (plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor etc...).

Can some just confirm or contradict this please?

The car is a MKI MR2, noth that it should matter much...

Many thanks and a blessing worth a 1000 camels :thumbsup: :D

IF the Battery is totaly dead, it will just click , as there isn't enough power to turn the starter. Does it bump start? if it does get it to a garage for a Battery check.

If its not the Battery, try starter contacts!!! I rebuilt my starter this weekend... starts perfectly now!!! no clogging up the queue at santa pod anymore!

DON'T JUMP start it ( ie useing jump leads) if the car has an ECU , it can damage it... by bump start i meant a push or a tow.

DON'T JUMP start it ( ie useing jump leads) if the car has an ECU , it can damage it... by bump start i meant a push or a tow.

I totally disagree with that!!! how do you think people start automatics??? :lol:

give it a jump start mate!

As far as i know, and i am by no means a mechanic, it has something to do with the ampage or power or something.. but when the other car starts . the power from it travels back up the leads and into your Battery.. this MAY damage the ECU. some sencors or something?? possibility.

As for Automatics.. charge the Battery with a charger?? :lol:

Edit : Jump starting useing a Battery NOT connected to a car will be fine... as it's the charging sytem on the other car that can ( in some cases) cos the damage... 2 alternators connected to your battery = more AH.. your m8 will drive off happy.. but when you drive off , you could find your car is not what it should be, and the ECU could need reset or replaced.

the ECU will have a huge fuse on it which will go bang if it gets over current

hence why you have fuses!

itll be fine, ive jumped loads of ECU cars with no problems

Best way to save the ECU when "jump" starting, is to turn all electrics on, ie. lights heater etc. this will take the shock out of the system when you connect the leads.

Don't forget to turn everything off before trying to start. :thumbsup:

To check if it's starter or Battery.

Turn the lights on and get somebody to watch them as you turn the key, if they go dim as you're doing it, then chances are your Battery is bo££oxed.

If not then go for the starter.

This is making me laugh...

Don't jump start coz it might damage the ecu :lol::lol::lol:

If jump starting were so bad, why would the AA, RAC and Greenflag be so keen to do it? :rolleyes:

As Jax said - fuses are great :thumbsup:

My original question was just a general query. I do not know the owners of the car. The owners emailed me to say their car is for sale and is the spec I am looking for except it recently (on the weekend) developed a starting problem and as a result dropped their asking price by 300 notes after replacing all the ignition components :rolleyes:

And I figure if it's just the Battery or the starter (or even both) - it's well worth the £300 saving B)

You are supposed to stick electrics on when jumping, but not headlights!! They tend to blow with a surge of electricity. The haynes manuals recommend you put tollerent electrics on such as the heater fans.

It is also seen as being more dangerous to bump start a car because the stresses it causes can cause the cam belt to snap.

If you want to be safest buy a little booster pack. They only cost about £20 and are really handy. I got mine for my motorbike as the alarm always makes the Battery go flat :angry: but it has been very useful. Never had to start my cars with it but have got neighbours out of a few sticky situations! :thumbsup:

Also good in a power cut with an invertor can power a couple of lights for an hour or so!

Don't jump start coz it might damage the ecu :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If jump starting were so bad, why would the AA, RAC and Greenflag be so keen to do it? :rolleyes:

And I figure if it's just the battery or the starter (or even both) - it's well worth the £300 saving B)

If this was just a geneal query and the sugestions, helpful or otherwise are making you laugh, why post it in the first place!

Or was it your intention to have a laugh at other peoples expense?

As far a not frying an ecu, I succesfully claimed from a brakedown agent who went out to one of our new vehicles and jumped it off without taking the procedures mentioned, the recovery to workshop was £350, the repairs were £1750.oo that included the £1200 for a new ecu.

Four years ago one of our fitters did exactly the same thing to one of our other vehicles---no recovery costs , but £1000.00 for an ecu.

As far as not putting the headlights on before connecting, I would sooner pay a few pounds for a couple of headlight bulbs , than a grand or so for an ecu.

Don't jump start coz it might damage the ecu :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

And I figure if it's just the battery or the starter (or even both) - it's well worth the £300 saving B)

If this was just a geneal query and the sugestions, helpful or otherwise are making you laugh, why post it in the first place!

As far a not frying an ecu, I succesfully claimed from a brakedown agent who went out to one of our new vehicles and jumped it off without taking the procedures mentioned, the recovery to workshop was £350, the repairs were £1750.oo that included the £1200 for a new ecu.

Four years ago one of our fitters did exactly the same thing to one of our other vehicles---no recovery costs , but £1000.00 for an ecu.

As far as not putting the headlights on before connecting, I would sooner pay a few pounds for a couple of headlight bulbs , than a grand or so for an ecu.

Kind of prooves my point eh!?...

Don't jump start coz it might damage the ecu laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

If jump starting were so bad, why would the AA, RAC and Greenflag be so keen to do it? rolleyes.gif

The AA and RAC etc SHOULD be useig a booster pack.. if they don't then they are liable for a claim. Like i said before, a jump start from a Battery NOT connected to a car is fine.

And there is no need to laugh at other peoples advice, right or wrong. we are just trying to help, and are going by past experiances or things we have picked up along that long road of life.

Well :censor: me.. I have been jump starting EFi cars for years... (I tend to do it offten as me asn my old man do a bit of trading)

infact I had to "jump" my mums SL off my supra this morning...

Never had a problem!!!!

:lol:

ok a bit of electrical knowledge

when you jump a car the batterys are wired in parallel, so itll still be 12volts so no chance of too many volts

so basically you have one big Battery as far as the cars concerned!

and the starter/coil just takes as many amps as it needs! it doesnt just force 1.1 gigawatts through the car and turn things into expensive blue smoke!

Hmmm! *thinks*

Does this mean I can power all the appliances in my house from one 15 amp plug?

After all everything is 240 volts and runs in parallel from the supply. :thumbsup::lol:

AS Jaxx SAid... each device draws its own current...

in parrallel, the voltage is the same, yes... each devices draws its own current, so they can all be added together for the total load!

thats why one 15a won't work.... but you knew that. WE have a huge 60amp fuse at home that keeps going pop :crybaby:

Nearly all the cars I have owned that come with EFi have a section in the owners manual about jump starting!!!!

For our fleet management systems we build in extra protection for "muppet factor"

i.e. worst case scenario, two 24V lorry batterys in series!

Auto electronics have more leeway then people give them credit for!

It was a genuine query mate and I just needed my suspicions confirmed or contradicted :thumbsup:

I was in a good mood that morning and was humouring the replies (light banter if you would) and cfc's reply did make me laugh a little brightening up my day just a little more ;)

However, I am in a really f :censor: ing bad mood this morning and this entire post has annoyed the crap out of me.

There are far too many people on this forum now-a-days that don't know jack Schitt and just take a stab in the dark when offering advice. If they are not doing that, they are constantly posting complete and utter rubbish.

f :censor: it I'm outta here before I say something I regret!

Garrick - I agree with you there mate - too many people with little knowledge just guessing at answers. But it will never change - it is the way that life is and this forum just reflects it.

Back on thread - the first thing I would check is the earthing system - sometimes causes this type of problem. I had something similar a few months ago and it turned out to be a wiring problem from when I had the engine transplant done - but took weeks to finally sort it - even rebuilt the starter motor solnoid and then swapped it out for a different starter. Turned out to be a wiring fault that took half inch of solder to fix.

Hope this helps mate

It was a genuine query mate and I just needed my suspicions confirmed or contradicted :thumbsup:

I was in a good mood that morning and was humouring the replies (light banter if you would) and cfc's reply did make me laugh a little brightening up my day just a little more ;)

However, I am in a really f :censor: ing bad mood this morning and this entire post has annoyed the crap out of me.

There are far too many people on this forum now-a-days that don't know jack Schitt and just take a stab in the dark when offering advice. If they are not doing that, they are constantly posting complete and utter rubbish.

f :censor: it I'm outta here before I say something I regret!

No problem Garrick. :thumbsup:

After being in the motor trade (HGV) for 36 years and being laid off I get a bit bored. So my replies are based on truck experiences.

You guys are probably right about the car side of it, but you can't blame me for being cautious on your behalf in trying to save you some unecessary expense. ;)

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links