Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Different Types Of Petrol

SouT16

Been looking around for some info on the different types of petrol available In the UK, as far as i can see there is 95 RON unleaded (which I gather is standard?) and 97 RON (more expensive)

what are the benifits going to be of using the 97 RON over the 95 RON fuel? does it go any higher in the UK or not? other than it being more expensive is there any downsides of using higher octance fuel?

Any performance increases? Any sound differences through my Powerflow Exhaust on the Yaris such as more popping etc?

I really have no idea and have been wondering about it for a while now so finally thought i'd do what was best....

Ask The Experts Of TOC!

Cheers

Paul :D

optimax is i think 97.5 ron and gives a better detonation = better performance.some even say they get more miles to the gallon from it.

97 (Optimax and BP Ultimate) are a higher octane and theoretically cleaner therefore also better for your engine whilst giving slightly more power.

Many Jap imports are designed to run on 98 or higher so octane boosters need to be added to the fuel that's available in the UK.

The majority of cars built and supplied in the UK (or built abroad but specifically for UK markets) are designed to run on 95 so no need to use higher octane especially if it's not a performance car. Using 97 doesn't hurt the car - just your wallet :D

normal petrol round here - 79.9p

optimax and other stuff similar - 87.9p or something - is it recommended? and is it just simple as filling the car up, or does anything need to be done in order to accomodate this petrol

and is it just simple as filling the car up, or does anything need to be done in order to accomodate this petrol

Nope, unleaded is unleaded. Just fill up and forget :thumbsup:

I've started using 97+ron petrol rather than the usual 95ron i have been using on the Supra. Havent noticed any performance diffrence surprise surprise but im going BPU++ so want to avoid detonation if i can :lol::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links