Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Tyre Size

jerry phipps

Hi guy's and girls

Was looking around another car modding place today and saw some nice wheels. When i asked them about tyre combo they came back with this :eek:

205/40/17 on the front 215/35/17 to the rear :wacko:

I said why have you down sized the tyre like that. The guy replied that this was the best set up for the mr2 :lol: I said no way mate. There was also a mr2 out in the car park which belonged to a work and he showed me the wheel and tyre set up. I thought that it has lost all the looks it just looked really crap with smaller rubber. Then he said that my wheels where over sized and you handling must be really poor. Bearing in mind i have got standard wheels :D

I just laughed at him and told him that you really dont know a lot about mr2 as a lot of people would have had at least 215/40/17 to front and 235/40/17 to the rear. He said that was just a ridiculous tyres combo.

So what do you guy's think is this guy chatting out of his :censor: or what??

jerry!!

Some people like Bibbs and Matt put bigger rims on the back but then put smaller profile tyres on. :hokus-pokus:

But yeah your tottally right that Fella is talking :censor: . :rolleyes:

Some people like Bibbs and Matt put bigger rims on the back but then put smaller profile tyres on.  :hokus-pokus:

But yeah your tottally right that Fella is talking  :censor: . :rolleyes:

I'm telling you it looked really crap as you are so used to see a mr2 with fat tyres to the rear and to see one with small tyres it just didn't look right :shutit:

jerry!!

Jerry.. he is chattin crap!..

when you find a set you like.. get a quote and then get in contact with Wheelbase in Oldham... Thats where i got my rism from... top class service and very good price! :thumbsup:

If you ask for Andy.. he is actually a IMOC member as he has a tubby as well... so he knows what he is chattin about... :yes:

hope that is of some use to you!.. :thumbsup:

no he aint talkin crap, a lower profile trye on the rear wont afftect the drive wheel as much for performance, the bloke is actually talkin some sense.

no he aint talkin crap, a lower profile trye on the rear wont afftect the drive wheel as much for performance, the bloke is actually talkin some sense.

ooops.. my bad.. i thought he was chattin about wthe width.. not the profile.. :!Removed!:

yeah, the profile should be at least 225 to clear toyota spec, but there is no 225 so people use 235.

he might be on about width or profile, he hasnt specified.

I dont agree Houston.

205/40/17 on the front 215/35/17 to the rear  :wacko:

You either want it the same size (like most people) or have a slightly bigger profile (sidewall) on the rear.

Personaly for my track day prefences i stick with same height all round.

Front = 205x45x16

Rear = 235x45x16

I just cant see any advantage on having higher sidewallls on the front. :blink:

I dont agree Houston.
205/40/17 on the front 215/35/17 to the rear  :wacko:

You either want it the same size (like most people) or have a slightly bigger profile (sidewall) on the rear.

Personaly for my track day prefences i stick with same height all round.

Front = 205x45x16

Rear = 235x45x16

I just cant see any advantage on having higher sidewallls on the front. :blink:

The middle number (sidewall height) is a proportion of the width so actually to keep the same sidewall height the middle number has to be bigger on the front to account for the smaller tyre width. so if you have Front = 205x45x16 Rear = 235x45x16 the front sidewall will be slightly smaller than the back.

i know from this, and many other posts on this subject that most peeps go with 215/40/17 front and 235/40/17 rear but on using various tyre calculators, and simple arithmetic it does seem that a 35 profile would be a closer match to the original.

also my 17" split rims (which i've still to refurb and get on my car) have got some tyres on the fronts already which are a 40 profile and when i had them on the car (to test and admire) i noticed that the tyres rubbed on the plastic trim under the arch - on full lock.

i know that a 35 profile will be a much harder ride (especially on the potholes they call taxable roads in this dump of a city) but because of my observations above, i think this is the way i will go.

225/35/17 front, 245/35/17 rear.

any thoughts, opinions? :unsure:

I was talking about the width of the tyres not the profile. I was just shocked that he had downed the size on the rear to 215 instead of 225 or larger.

jerry!!

215's on the rear will cause mayhem in cornering ..

I'm sticking 215/235 (kinda tempted by 225/245)

(kinda tempted by 225/245)

woohoo 2 of us. wideness rules :thumbsup:

Well once you guys have done that tyre combo get some pictures up as i would really like to see how that sits on the road ;)

jerry!!

Help! You guys really sound like you know what you're talking about, looking for some advice. Have MR2 import on a J plate and not much money and went to buy new tyres - Expensive!!! They are 225 50 R15, have seen bargain set of alloys (could do with new ones) but the tyre size on them is 195/60R 14, is it an option to change to these?

Help

Girly question I know!

Sandy

xxxx

Hi sandy

First of all welcome to the club mate :group-cuddles: About the tyres size mate. Why would you want to down size the tyre size and rim size. Basically the car came out with 15" on the car so it would be probably better to stick with the same of go up to bigger size. Going down a wheel size you will see a lot of day light under the wheel arch. :eek:

Your best bet is to save up your money and wait till you can afford to get some bigger size tyres and rims. Trust me the whole car would look so much better with a bigger wheel size on instead of smaller rim's :thumbsup: But hey it's your car at the end of the day the choice is yours ;)

jerry!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links