Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Please Help?

blueorb

I am new to the world of toyota and I have my eye on a 93 mr2 Turbo gts.I want to know if these cars are as good as people say in terms of their reliablity. I have had an horrific experience with a renault!

The car I am looking at is reported to have done 41,000 miles. However, when the speedo was converted, did it loose the km it previously had on it?

The car has had a recent clutch fitted which leads me to suspect that it has done nearer 60-70000 true miles. The car is immaculate in a1 condition. The guy wants a little under £4000 for it. It does have Jap history, but it is unreadable. All history and mot's present since import in '99.

What do you guys think?

Will I live to regret it? I don't want another renault experience.

Cheers.

what can I say it's Jap not French. lol

Ofcourse they break down, but if looked after well, they can last for many years trouble free.

The turbo may be worn but thats unlikely and it's just normal wear and tear.

Your speedo will be half and half i'm afraid, just leave a note so you remeber the true millage.

Yeah these cars are very reliable, even the turbo's seem to last ages. My import didn't have any history with it at all, at least you have some. The clutch change would suggest it has probably covered more than 41k miles but wouldn't worry about that too much. £4000 seems to be about the average price for turbo's of that age. Sorry but Renault is french, we all know they are not in the same league as Japan when it comes to reliability.

if you are looking for a good import you should try these guys!!!

www.topspec-imports.com

they imported mine from Japan for me and i have had no probs what so ever and I travel 100 miles daily to Uni...

hi mate,

look at the car - drive the car, then go look/drive another - and compare.

That's your best bet - check usual stuff: signs of damage, blue smoke, smooth ride, gear change, make sure it 'pulls' like it should...

With regards to mileage - FORGET IT...

I've seen many imports showing 30/40km and thats them ones that are over 10 years old.. genuine or not....? who is to know - all i'll say is take each car on face value.. and good luck.

Cheers - Rash.

Id agree, have a look around, dont jump in, there are plenty out there, dont get me wrong, if you look at this one and its a good un, buy it. but when i was looking for mine i went to look at some right shed's !!, then one just came up, and i knew it was 10x better than all the others i had looked at, so i got it !, dont be rushed thats all i d say, you migh regret it !

My car has 13k miles on the dash .. (i've got a speedo with ~100k in the boot, of which 72k was kilometers, the rest miles).

I've covered about 60k in 3 years and it's my daily drive.

I've had a few issues, but nothing compared to my old citroen.

As people have said don't rush into buying it. I rushed into this MR2 a bit coz I really needed a car at the time. I'm very pleased with it so far but I can tell it's had a bit of repair work done in the past and the gearbox is a bit clunky. Next time I'd look at a few cars before deciding.

Thanks for your posts guys!

I am looking at the car tomorow. I feel so anxious though, it sounds like a mine field.

I guess what your all telling me is that if it looks well looked after, then it probably is. And Toyota's are so well made, millage isn't too much of an issue if the car looks and feels right!

O.K Lets see what its like?

One other question, How nickable are these cars? Are they regularly stolen?

Same as any other sports car.

Theives are opportunist's

But if you mean do they get targeted specifically. then I suppose that depends on where you live.

the best advice would be to get a car fresh from japan, as they are in mint condition, we dont look after our motors as well as the Jap's do!!!!!!!

One other question, How nickable are these cars?

Why don't you just pay for it??? :D

the best advice would be to get a car fresh from japan, as they are in mint condition, we dont look after our motors as well as the Jap's do!!!!!!!

:yes:

Mine was fresh from land of the rising sun as grade 4.5... but I did pay over the odds for it that way. Only had 26,000 miles on it too... and was exactly what I ordered as far as spec, mileage and colour was concerned. Took 6 months though for them to find the exact one for me.

Good luck either way, bud.

:thumbsup:

Yeah same here, mine was a grade 4 (fog lights where missing), If you do import one yourself make sure that the SVA (and preparing it) is in with the price and not a hidden extra :)

Mine was bought of a Japan forecourt .. came over and I think it's have been about grade 3 due to the kit etc ..

I know a bit of the history (she's had a hard life) but TBH, apart from the way I drive (on 3rd clutch, 2nd gearbox) she runs like a dream.

Well u guys should have gone to Topspec imports,

They sorted everything out for me,

Even got me a good insurance quote!!!!!

I feel so anxious though, it sounds like a mine field.

If you are concerned then the other option is to drop Rash a PM and see if he can source you one (I hope he doesnt mind me saying that :!Removed!: ) he sorted out a few of us on here with nice tidy cars so should be able to do the same for you. You will probably be able to get a good price too as now is definately the time to buy and not sell.

HTH - Ed

ITS SO IRONIC!!

On my way to look at the mr 2 on Saturday, and guess what! I write my renault off on a nasty bend.....Skid, understeer, oversteer, roll over twice and hit a **** tree! OOch

Im still in a lot of pain, but lucky to be alive!

Anyway, the car I had my eye on has gone, but I have seen another

This time a 93' black turbo, 86,000km. all standard and still restricted. The guy wants £3,995 for it. 12 months M.O.T but no previous history.

Does this sound ok?

I am planning on looking at her tomorow, hope I still have the confidence to drive after nearly killing myself!

Anyway, would apreciate your advice..........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links