Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filters ?

AE82 GT

Hi Guys,

After a long discussion with a mate about replacing the air filter on the car I was wondering the following-

what's best, a replacement hi-flow panel filter to just replace the existing Toyota jobbies

or take it all out and fit a BLITZ / K&N.

Not quite so straight forward as apparently some Jap car makers i.e. Honda & Toyota spend loads of £££ getting air flow optimised ETC.. so putting a Blitz type filter would cost BHP where as a Hi-Flow panel might be better.

I guess most people on the forum have done one or other so what's the general verdict????

Filters sound nice, and if mounted correctly can aid air flow.

But it's quite easy to mount the filter next to a hot area of engine and lose BHP.

Well I've used both methods. Used to have a panel filter but now I have a cotton type cone filter. I have to admit the car seemed to rev more freely with my old panel filter but the cone filter seems to help with lower down 'pull'. The main reason I have the cone filter is because I like the induction roar it makes. It's true though it can probably cost you a few bhp if it's too close to the engine.

Well I've used both methods. Used to have a panel filter but now I have a cotton type cone filter. I have to admit the car seemed to rev more freely with my old panel filter but the cone filter seems to help with lower down 'pull'. The main reason I have the cone filter is because I like the induction roar it makes. It's true though it can probably cost you a few bhp if it's too close to the engine.

What he said. Mines an APEXi power intake. Sounds amazing. Def better than k&N and i think it is a bit more powerfull.

Induction kits are fine until you get the heat built up in the engine bay.

They do provide a lot better airflow, especially if you get one with a hard intake pipe. This stops vortexing of air, so it hits the turbo more cleanly...

Ideal solution... induction kit and cold air box.

You can't beat the noise of the induction kit though.

As far as Toyota's design for air flow, what you have to remember is they design to compromise between air flow and noise. Not everyone wants their brand new car to sound asthmatic, so the twin box design of the stock intake acts also as a baffle.

End of the day, more air = more power... but as the guys say... if you suffer from hot air getting into the intake, you could find it loses power over the stock set up.

Unfortunately, whilst mid engined cars are great for weight distribution, they're not great for air supply to the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links