Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If Designers Had Brains

orfeas

What if toyota exterior designers had brains?

http://northgreece.f2g.net/profile.html

I own a toyota corolla 1998 sedan model. a very relible car. I travel all over greece in maximum speed during summer also drive for hours into cities with a lot of traffic jam stuck in the car and temperatures over 40C and during winter on to the mountains with freezing temperatures.

I have to admit the car is relible and its engine works like a swiss watch.

But the front headlights are discusting!

Look here how the car would look like with a few adjustments.

http://northgreece.f2g.net/profile.html

Is it possible to do it?

From what a couple of your pictures show the 'Faclifted' model went for the 'Quad' look.

So yes it would be possible to do if you had access to scrap parts from a 2000 model...

...but would it be worth it?

Twincam.GTi I have to say that I dont like very much the facelift of the 2000 model. I thinnk it would look better by adding two separate spot lights between the headlights.

I have to say if you 've seen my pictures that the triple headlights are from the alfa romeo 159. The last picture shows the original model i f you add two more smaller headlights or spotlights in front of the mask.

I think that the last facelift is possible. I can't think how much it will cost. For me it is worth to do it if the cost of the parts is under 300 quid.

I have access to tools to open two holes on the front mask.

Don't take this personally mate, but i don not really like what you have done with the 'photoshoped' corolla. I studyed Automotive design at Coventry, and i can tell you that the whole design theme for designing the corolla is to accomplish a non-threatening look, not too friendly & not too aggressive. The only pic that i think is ok, is the one with the extra spot lights in the front grill panel, but looking at it closer, it actually looks like a VW Polo / Lupo wannabe. Don't take it the wrong way as i actually own the same corolla but in 3dr form, and i like the way it looks, I feel it has a look that grows on you, for example no-one liked the AE86 corolla RWD at first glance, but after a while it starts to grow on you. Most people will kill for a AE86 now!! My advice, work on the existing look, e.g. front lip spoiler / bumper etc.

Best of luck! <_<

Leave them as is...that's what makes them stand out. Alter the stance or wheels but leave the lights alone...! Have fun.

Ok lads it seems that from design point of view I am an alfa romeo guy or a toyota supra but I would never change the reliability and economy of my corolla. You can't have it all! I would like my corolla to have a design of a sports sedan even though it is not.

Siu 16 if that design was good they would not change it in 1.5 years(no offence). Although I think theese lights looks much better on the 3 door model because it is short. I prefer the look of a sedan car.

The E10 model was on production for almost six years. We have to admit that most of the people(mainly girls) buy a car because they like it as a design.

Latelly most of the companies don't build goodlooking cars in general(this is only my point of view). New cars tend to get taller to create an illusion of interior space with an infection in stability and handling. They are also ungly, very ugly. (exceptions: mazda 6m, alfa 159 wich is4cm lower 6cm wider from 156).

The most of them look like the same. My corolla rear lights are like Mercedes e class of the same year and the headlights I think they are the same as the big ones of the quad look celica.

Anyway I started this post because I wanted to know if it is possible to change theese headlights and create a more agressive look, like the first or second picture that I posted. It seems that it is not.

Thanks siu 16, beardie and twincam.gti for your replies.

Latelly most of the companies don't build goodlooking cars in general(this is only my point of view). New cars tend to get taller to create an illusion of interior space with an infection in stability and handling. They are also ungly, very ugly.

:yes::yes::yes:

Yes a lot of manufacturers with their saloons/sedans have gone for this tall 'people carrier look'.

Even the new corollas are taller and they started look like German cars. Cars that stil look like japanese are the mazda 6 and subaru legacy. even though they belong to a slight bigger category.

I believe the beter design on a corolla whas this of the e10 model the liftback and the sedan.

im really not too sure on the saloon version. no offence, but 3dr hatch all the way.

i love my rolla, u can have a look at it on the link 'rolla' below. tell me what you

think??

still the saloon?

No probs orfeas, I still do think you should get to know the Toyota style and the way they design cars. I also thought like you for a while, But i got used to it and realised that i love the look of my corolla! Also, all car companies facelift their cars, not because they feel it is ugly, but to increase sales, they facelift their cars to make it look like it is a whole new car with minimal costs. I mean BMW have replaced their 3-series a number of times in less than a few years, and no-one thinks they are ugly! Its just the way the car industry works! You may not know it but the frog eye E11 was produced for Rally competition using the Ae111 floorpan, it was designed for rally not looks. Just take your inspiration from the Corolla WRC rally car! I am pretty sure you can fit a TTE bumper on your saloon. And the thing about your headlight conversion, it is possible, anything is possible, you just have to find the people to do it for you. It is actually easier than you think. Good luck!!! <_<

Yeah i also dont like the fact that more new cars are getting taller and bigger. I believe this is to increase safety for passengers as to increase the distance between the passengers and the impact. Most new cars will also have enlarged front bumpers and smaller bonnets, to soften the impact if you ever hit anyone!

Hey if you want the front end of your car to look cool fit a pair of CIBIE Spot lamps :D

...and if you want it to look really smart fit 4 CIBIES, :drool::thumbsup:

In my teens thats what you did to make the front end of a car look snazy :o

Siu 16 I know that they build taller cars for safety reasons but I think there must be other ways for maximising safety. Maybe they are more expensive to implement.

As I said I like the 3 door version with these headlights. I am just the type of guy that prefers sedan cars and on the sedan this headlights doesn't look very good!(this is only my opinion).

Big bad ant you rolla realy rocks! if I bought a 3 door I would probably customize it like yours. Is it a G6?

I can't fit a TTE bumber because it will be closer to the ground and roads in greece are not very good!!!

I don't think that I will change my headlights after all unless if I crash it and put the mask of the quad look model!!!

If you noticed i have spot lights under the headlights. They don't fit exactlyand if you seen it closer they are not very good. I've seen some cars in the forum they actualy have spot lights they fit exactly. Do you know where I can buy them? I've searched a lot but...!

I have also been to greece, your right doe, the roads are bumpy and not too safe. I am impressed that you race your car at full speed doe. I would love to race you sometime but my car is here in UK. I also race at full throttle but probably don't have as much freedom on these roads as you do in greece. I am not realy a sedan guy myself but havn't a problem with them, its just some sedans i like, like impreza's & evo's, they are cool! The TTE bumper does lower your car abit but not over the top! all depends if you lower your car or not, if you do, just fit some bigger wheels!

Very good job Scotish SR! I want my car to look like yours!

Hey Siu 16 I run my car on the highway toward Athens. It was summer with no traffic on the road. I can still manage to control it through the bumbs! We develop different kind of driving here!

I also don't race my car. It is only 1.3 litres with 86 horse power! I raced with my cousin's golf II 1.8 turbo. That was fast!

Now that I am in Leeds(studying) I 've driven once going to Glasgow on a rented Laguna 2000 and I reached speeds of 135 mph and the road is so good I didn't realized how fast I was going. The second time was on a rented Land rover Discovery to Leicester. The same here although the speed a lot slower.

Anyway, does anybody knows where I can buy spotlights for my e11 rolla that fits exactly inside the frond bumber?

Anyway, does anybody knows where I can buy spotlights for my e11 rolla that fits exactly inside the frond bumber?

The auxilary lights you refer to I presume are the fog lights which are mounted below the front bumper in the grill either side of the front number plate and fit the exact outline of the front valance (standard fitment on G6).

If it is these you require then they are available from Toyota only (at a cost of around £147 the pair) plus special (arkward to fit :blink: ) brackets.

Also the grill needs to be cut out to allow them to fit. The wires to connect them up are already there (same wiring loom for all models is obviously used).

However there is on more catch the foglight switch also has to be bought and this fits on end of light stork (how much it is or how it fits i do not know).

Perhaps your local friendly Toyota mechanic could advise or have a look at one in a scrapyard (if theres one in <_< )

Thats right Twincam GTi. This is what I want. I already have the wiring and the switch installed and the grill is already cut because I have foglights there. They just don't look good enough thats why I am changing them. (since I will not change my headlights!!!)

Thanks for the info.

Do you drive on the right in greece?

Why not have the impreza style headlight from Booster, They are expensive but it might be cheaper in the long run compared to all labour involved.

Go to their website Booster

you will see a section called "Technics" once you click on that you have a choice of two "Light" & "Suspension".

The image on the Light section is for a AE111.

I can't use them on UK Roads. :ffs: :crybaby: :censor:

We drive on the right side of the road, the steering whell is on the left.

I might try theese subaru like headlights although I don't think they will look very good. I would prefer the look of AE111.

Thats right Twincam GTi. This is what I want. I already have the wiring and the switch installed and the grill is already cut because I have foglights there. They just don't look good enough thats why I am changing them. (since I will not change my headlights!!!)

orfeas it appears all you need then are the foglights themselves that are standard on 'CD' and G6.

They are a 'Quarter Circle'/'Quarter Moon' shape and fit very neatly.

The part nunbers are as follows:

one side 81210 - 12120

other side 81220 - 12110

(Please don't ask me which is left or right, i presume you will have the pair :D )

Also brackets will be required 81481 - 02010 (x2)

and corresponding nuts 90179 - 06219 (x2)

There are little cut outs on the underside of the bumper for these brackets.

This whole lot will cost around £150 !!! and the lights are not that large so have a long think.

Also Your Toyota dealer will do a Fog light kit IT IS NOT THE SAME! it consists of two tiny round lights and to fit them you cut holes in your front valance :o !

The reason I give you the Toyota part numbers is because some Toyota dealers will not try to find you the part unless it 'corresponds' to your particular car/chassis number, why they are doing this I don't know (i.e. my local dealer has now adopted this attitude :ffs: and i'm not the only one according to this forum)

One word off warning...once you start adding to your car ...it's hard to stop :lol:

Thank you very much Twincam GTi!

The parts number where very helpfull. I can now even call my Toyota dealer and arrange everything.

About the warning: Is it really hard to stop? I'll try to be strong and stop after this!!! :lol:

Very good job siu16. I once tried those wheels on my car and it looked very good.

If toyota choose the sedan model(like subaru) to run on WRC it would be like this!

After that picture I really like my car with out thinking of changing the headlights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links