Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Cuts Out For Split Second - Help!

Buckie

Hello !!!!!

Am really needing some help/advice!!

My 1990 Turbo has a problem in which when I go over "certain" bumps in the road or cobbles, the engine will cut out for a split second and kick back in. I know it's not the electrics as the stereo, lights, ECU etc etc all stay on and do not reset..

I have tried an ECU reset etc - however know this is something loose etc....

Any ideas - not only does it drive me mad, but it's also very worrying!

An American pal told me he had something the same on his mustang cobra which turned out to be a loose wire from the AirFlow to the computer - however I have checked all of this, seems fine.

I run with a Apexi SAFC and all the readings seem spot on!

Any help or advice is very welcome - am going to get an electricl expert to check it out, however it's hard to show someone as it doesn't ahppen all the time...

Cheers

sounds like a loose connection in your ignition components.... i suspect the ht leads are loose somewhere. might be worth replacing them first as you may not be able to tell if they are damaged on the inside.

sounds like a loose connection in your ignition components.... i suspect the ht leads are loose somewhere. might be worth replacing them first as you may not be able to tell if they are damaged on the inside.

good idea :thumbsup:

id also check all the leads to the coil ! :D

Hi,

Yeah, checked all this out - they are newish leads - besides, would be unusual for ALL the leads to fail at the exact same point for 1/4 second.

I thought it may be the dizzy cap or rotor arm, but that looks good as well..

Feels more like fuel issue - maybe immob/alarm or something.

Driving me insane - very annoying and potentialy expensive.

Hi,

Yeah, checked all this out - they are newish leads - besides, would be unusual for ALL the leads to fail at the exact same point for 1/4 second.

Thats why i would sugest the HT lead from the coil, of the power to the coil - if that failed then no spark would be sent to the dizzy capatall - so that woulkd only have to be one component to fail for no spark - not all 4 leads !!

If it was the imobilizer i would suspect it would make the car cut out all together (cut power to fuel pump, or electrics depending upon imobilizer type / setup)

I recon fueling would be like a missfire, the car would cough and spluter for a sec. Thats why i recon its some kinda ignition problem, cus if there is no spark, it would be like the car had cut out, then staright back on, no inbertween like coughing etc !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links