Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electrical Woes

Mr2dude

Hi my NA car has suffered a few problems of late, need to get them sorted out before I can sell it. (Driving my Tubby about all the time now).

Firstly i noticed the rev counter started going a bit manic, and jumping up and down even though I was at constant revs.

A couple of weeks later the speedo died.

Now the rev counter is getting much more twichy and even bounces around the place when the car is idying.

Its not happening ALL the time, but its happened more and more often, and when it goes the car starts misfiring badly under load.

For examply at 1K revs standing still, it can start oscillating between 1000 and 3000, and when i'm actually driving (at say 4000 revs), when it starts going mad it can start jumping between 4000 and 9000 !. It even bouced right past 9000 until it could travel no further !

I've had a Mobile tuning guy look at it, he wasnt that much help but found fault code 14 from the ECU and said it was "multi-triggering". He put the blame down to either the distributer or the "ingnition amplifier".

Was about to start replacing bits, but then Fensport told me to just clean the plugs and distributer and that might sort it.

I dunno if the dead speedo is manual or electrically controlled, (neither did the mobile tuning guy).

Anyone else had similar experiences or any advice to cure it ?

if u have a rev1 id be looking at the speedo cable.

Its a 1995 (Rev3). But Fensport said even then its impossible to tell what kind of speedo drive (electrical or mechanical) it is, unless I actually know what I'm looking for.

And as I'm idiot under the bonnet I wouldnt know a electronic speedo from a banana.

Had my car in a garage for a couple of days working out why the speedo doenst work.

They said there's no signal from the sensor, so i got a new sensor (100quid+vat).

When they went to replace the sensor, it turns out the sensor drive has fell off the sensor (and is probably laying around somewhere in the bottom of the gearbox, although the gearbox itself is smooth with no rattles or anything).

A MR2 breakers I spoke to said this is quite a common problem (he even finished my sentence as I as in the middle of explaining the problem to him !).

He reckons, easiest way is to replace the entire gearbox, as I've have to completely strip it to bits to fix it.

Toyota will refund me for the unused sensor and I can get new gearbox for 150 (no VAT for Cash). Sounds like the best option to me.

Anyone had this ? Is new gearbox the best way ?

New Gear box does seam a little extreme for this problem ??

and to agree with jim, im sure its only rev1's that have cable driven

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links