Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Engine

Humayun

Hey guys/gals,

since i hav my smashed up starlet sitting on my drive, ive considered replacing the 2E engine in my rolla withe the 4E-FE unit from the starlet!

I maybe able to get it done for free or very litle money. I would jus like to know it it will be very difficult to do it or not.

I know some of u willl say its not gna be worth it bcoz both engines hav same bhp, but the 4E-FE has more torque.

I mainly want it done because i would once again like to hav my twincam 16 valver running again. Also, i prefer to hav the fuel injection over carb and the engine is newer and should last longer :D

Thanx for any advise :thumbsup:

Hi Humayun,

4efe would be a great swap! It's a massive 1331cc instead of your current 1295cc! (74mm bore instead of 73) Compression ratio is also up - 9.6:1 instead of the 9.5 on uk 2Es. As far as I know, the gearbox is the same, gorgeous, silky-smooth C150 as on the corolla, so keep the least <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed one!

The figures I have for the 4efe are;

99bhp@6600 and 86lb/ft@5200

for an 89-> starlet. Later ones had less because of all the emission controls, cats etc but you won't be needing any of that in the corolla!

I nearly got one for my corolla once - but someone at the scrap yard had taken the spark plugs out and the cam cover off and everything was rusted like a b.astard!

The main problem I forsee with the swap is the injection. The mounting dimentions should be identical (best check 1st tho!) as it is the same block. The handy thing is tho that you have the entire front clip installed in a car, so you can rob everything you need and just find a suitable place for it all (ECU, igniter etc). You'll also need the fuel tank or at least the pump (think the pump is in the tank) of your starlet, as fuel injection systems run at a much higher pressure (40ish psi?) compared to around 3psi on carbureted engines. Might be worth comparing the brakes too - I can't see that the starlet would need better ones than a corolla, but you never know!

Also, if you're quick I think there's still an early starlet turbo turbo and exhaust assembly on eBay was about £30 last time I looked I think. It's the CT12 which is the one before the CT9 which is the best IIRC, but it's still a turbo!

To be fair though, that'd be a mammouth task to add a turbo too, but depends how keen you are! I was gonna buy it but the manifold is completely different to the 2E port pattern. :(

Good luck mate, would like to hear how it goes, because have been considering the swap for some time!

Take it easy

James

Thanks for the reply James.

Not going for turbo just yet, may be a future upgrade but ultimately i would like a silver top 4A-GE engine :drool:

My starlet was a 1997 EP91, the engine specs as far as i kno are 1.3 16v twincam churning out 74bhp, but the torque figure you have given is the same. The starlet brakes felt alot better than my corolla's so i will look into see if the starlet ones will be any better than the rolla's. Will definately get the car decatted engines swap or not,that will definately be done.

If the engine swap goes ahead, the 4E-FE will be out, while it is, is there anything worth doin to the engine, tuning,cleaning etc, any recommendations will be greatful.

Thanx :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links