Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

alison556

Hi all,

I've just joined and was looking for a bit of advice please.

I've got a 1990 1.6 GL Exec and the paint round the rear wheel arches has started to bubble and blister (all because some :censor: in a stolen car smacked the back of it and it's where the bumper has been jarred - obviously cracked the paint or something). Apart from this, the car is pretty much in mint condition.

Was just wondering, is there anything I can get done to get rid of the rusty blistered bits and more to the point, is it worth it?

I've had it for years and I'm pretty attached to it but didn't know whether to try and get something done about the rusty bits or whether to bite the bullet and buy a new car.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanx

Alison

Alison,

Welcome to TOC.

You are very lucky if the rust is just the result of accident damage, all late 80's jap cars have rust problems, usually on the arches.

If its only small bubbling then sure, something can be done about it. Were you thinking of paying someone to do the work, or doing it yourself?

Expect to pay a couple of hundred to have the rust cut out and the arches repaired.

I understand how you can get attached to your car, but I'd look at the book value and what you might get if you sold it, and then come to a decision.

Hiya,

And thanx for the welcome.

I guess I could have a go at it myself, but it's pretty cold up here just now and I don't fancy freezing to death doing it (plus I'm none too sure of what to do)!! I did wonder about whether I'd get away with sanding the life out of the arches, filling and spraying, but I reckon the problem comes from the inside of the arch (if you know what I mean). I got told ages ago that it was a common problem with them because the arch liner was just a harbour for dirt and water. Maybe the bump was just coincidence (I gotta blame somebody though).

I had went into a body shop and asked them and they just told me that nothing could be done about it. Is it a case of actually getting the arches cut out and replacing them?

I can't find a value on the old guy cos none of the price books go that far back. Any ideas what it might be worth (ballpark figure)? The car is reliable as anything, never let me down - only thing is he don't like the cold!

Thanx for the advice. I guess I gotta make a decision about it sometime soon.

Alison

Alison,

Welcome to TOC.

You are very lucky if the rust is just the result of accident damage, all late 80's jap cars have rust problems, usually on the arches.

If its only small bubbling then sure, something can be done about it. Were you thinking of paying someone to do the work, or doing it yourself?

Expect to pay a couple of hundred to have the rust cut out and the arches repaired.

I understand how you can get attached to your car, but I'd look at the book value and what you might get if you sold it, and then come to a decision.

Hi there,

It's a 1990 Executive they were good Corollas, well finished and comfortable.

If it is as reliable as you say I would Keep it and when the weather gets warmer just repair the arches as best you can. They will be rusty again after the next winter. So just repair 'em again. Rear wheel arches providing they are not 'Jagged edged' with rust are not part the M.O.T (not a structual or load bearing area). If they do become jagged just 'clog' plenty of filler on them rub down and paint.

As you said it's reliable so just run it as long (and as cheaply) as you can.

How long you had it?

Whats the millage?

Other things to keep your motor running (cheaply) is change oil twice a year and in turn paint some of the old oil one the undersides/floor pan, messy job :lol: but helps stop corrosion (old trick that). Also spray WD40 around nookes and cranies.

As the red ball express said:

"Keep 'em rolling"

No idea on the price really, but I wouldn't expect to get much more than £600, depends on overall condition of course, mileage, how much t+t you have left.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 400 for one, but its more a case of how much is someone prepared to pay for it, if you find someone local you might get more for it.

Check this eBay listing: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Keep an eye on it and see how far the bids go.

Sounds like the bodyshop you went to was full of morons. There are several ways of repairing rust, one is as you say lots of sanding and body filler, but you can also have arches cut out and repair panels welded in.

If You want to attempt it yourself, I'd start using a wire wool end on a powerful electric drill, and grind out the rust back to bare metal (inside and out of the wheel arch) then paint it with rex oxide paint to ensure the rust doesnt come back.

As I say though, it all depends on how much time you are prepared to spend on it, and how much effort you can be ubikd to put into it.

I'd expect to pay a few hundred quid to get the arches professionally sorted, but then by the time you add the costs of a service, MOT, TAX, it might not be a false economy to keep the car, when you could likely by another one for £400.

I also think its worth mentioning that the value of the car to yourself is important, if you know its not been ragged, and you know its been serviced at the right intervals etc etc etc then you have a straight car that will last you a long time.

Decisions decisions :P

paint some of the old oil one the undersides/floor pan, messy job :lol:  but helps stop corrosion (old trick that). Also spray WD40 around nookes and cranies.

"Keep 'em rolling"

I'd suggest using proper waxoyl underseal for a job like that, its not expensive and you can get it in a can with a spraying nozzle from Halfords, still a mucky job to say the least :thumbsup:

Yeah welcome to TOC! :thumbsup:

Depends really upon your intentions with the car, are you going to keep it for a while and is it going to be cost effective?

Hiya,

Ta for the advice. I might well attempt to pretty up the arches. I've been kind of looking around at other cars, but nothing's totally grabbed me yet. Did have a look at a Honda Civic, but decided against it because it didn't run as nice as me Rolla. Even though it's now 15 years old, it still runs sweet as a nut.

I've had it for 6 years and it had only had one owner before (I think). The mileage is a bit high at 119,000, but it only had about 50,000 on it when I got it. I've done a fair bit in it.

I've been lucky in that I've not had a lot of major things go all at the one time, but I have put in a new fuel tank, it's got new discs, had the alloys tarted up.

I think I'm gradually putting myself off another car. The old guy will be with me a while longer I think.

Alison

Hi there,

It's a 1990 Executive they were good Corollas, well finished and comfortable.

If it is as reliable as you say I would Keep it and when the weather gets warmer just repair the arches as best you can. They will be rusty again after the next winter. So just repair 'em again. Rear wheel arches providing they are not 'Jagged edged' with rust are not part the M.O.T (not a structual or load bearing area). If they do become jagged just 'clog' plenty of filler on them rub down and paint.

As you said it's reliable so just run it as long (and as cheaply) as you can.

How long you had it?

Whats the millage?

Other things to keep your motor running (cheaply) is change oil twice a year and in turn paint some of the old oil one the undersides/floor pan, messy job :lol:  but helps stop corrosion (old trick that). Also spray WD40 around nookes and cranies.

"Keep 'em rolling"

I didn't reckon that I'd get much more than 400 quid for it, but I've well had my monies worth out of it.

I will keep an eye on that one on e-bay - it looks identical - same colour and everything.

The bodyshop maybe couldn't be ubikd taking on a job like that. I know that you can get new arches for some cars, but I've never been able to source any for mine. Anybody know if and where I could get them?

I don't mind spending the time doing the work on it - as long as it's not freezing like it is just now!!! Could be my summer project! I'm reckoning that even by doing the work, it can only help if I do decide to sell - nobody wants rusty bits on a car!!!!

I've also been pretty lucky when it comes to MOT tests - last year all it needed was a brake bulb!! The year before, it needed a silencer (but I knew that beforehand) and believe it or not, the guy failed it on an airfreshner hanging off the mirror!!!!!!!!!

Thanx again,

Alison

I hate it when MOT testers fail people for having stuff hanging off their rear view mirror, all they have to do is take it off, pass it, and make you aware of the problem :ffs:

KidKoala Posted Today, 04:25 PM

I hate it when MOT testers fail people for having stuff hanging off their rear view mirror, all they have to do is take it off, pass it, and make you aware of the problem 

My, My, :eek::eek:

I've never heard of that happening

I took it to our Toyota dealer for it's MOT and the guy was just a complete :censor: - maybe he didn't like having an old car in his forecourt!!! Either that or he didn't like women drivers....................

KidKoala Posted Today, 04:25 PM

I hate it when MOT testers fail people for having stuff hanging off their rear view mirror, all they have to do is take it off, pass it, and make you aware of the problem 

My, My, :eek::eek:

I've never heard of that happening

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links