Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Think I Have Blown My Engine Up.

JappyBeast

Went to a meet tonight in Mansfield, everything was ok, reving my car a fair bit tho..

Well driving home I booted her and it started to make a rattle sound.. crapin myself I pulled up to the 24 hour garage and had a look in the engine bay to see if anything was leaking or if something was lose and rattling, cant see anything.

Went into the garage and bought some oil, not sure what my levels were like but no light has come on.

The rattle sounds like metalic clicking and from the top part of the engine.. it only happens when I press the accelerator not ticking over or when I let off the gas.

There doesnt seem to be any smoke (its dark so will look tomorrow) there isnt an loss in power either, not that I can tell. Its pretty loud and embarasing! Sounds like a diesel.

Any ideas?

probs just a loose heat shield or sumthin similar mate, doesnt sound to serious, u`d know if ud blown sumthin u would tell.

dont panic :)

I'm really worried.. I cant see anything loose. Its only the fact that its running the same as before that comforts me.

could it be the cams rattling?

sounds like crankshaft shells to me, it does get louder the hotter the engine gets.if it is that a crankshaft regrind and new oversized shells is the oder of the day.try some STP if you wanna sell it in the oil ,it may just quieten it enough to make a trade in.

yeah sounds like the crank to me aswell! :o

you fool andy!

oooo doesnt sound good mate. hope it's something minor otherwise, it will be something like your pistons.

when mine went on the turbo, i could hear an annoying metallic tapping sound whenever the car warmed up and i put a bit of the power on :(

Went out this morning and turned her over, sounded fine but I didnt let it warm up.

Thinking its cured itself or only happens when its warm.

warm it up if it begins to rattle then defo the shells.you could risk new shells in without a regrind on the crank,but not an effective cure.

Have you checked to see if there's enough oil in it?

Doesn't mean its not low just because the light didnt come on

Just been out in her and it only does it when its warmed up.

Is this gonna be costly to fix?

will do it when its warm because the oil is hot and thinner

Sound like tappit or valve area.

Just spoke to my dad, he also says it sounds like the shells, and that it rattles when warm because the oil is thinner, he also said to say away from getting it grounded and oversized shells fitted becasue it will just come back.

He said to get a new head fitted.

Its all not good. :(

If it's possible, try and get an oil pressure gauge on on it, they are a better indication than relying on the warning light, these usualy come on at about 5-7 psi,but by that time an engine is usually brolloxed.

With a gauge the initial cold pressure is usually quite high but if the engine temperature goes up and the oil pressure goes down, it's a good indication that the bottom end is ready to say goodbye, the last thing you want is for it to pick up and throw a leg out the bed. :thumbsup:

Oil is fine, I wouldnt wait till the light came on to put some in!

Thats not what i heard :P

Just spoke to my dad, he also says it sounds like the shells, and that it rattles when warm because the oil is thinner, he also said to say away from getting it grounded and oversized shells fitted becasue it will just come back.

It would be a possibility if it was the cam bushes that had worn, but from your description it sounds more like bottom end shells, either way you could have an oil starvation problem, this has a domino effect on engine parts as the lack of oil takes its toll. :(

why change the head when the shells and crank are in the block ??? its a whole engine you need , or a block at least and use your head. :thumbsup:

This happened to a mate of mine in Nottingham. He'd been to an airfield and had been giving it some revs, drifting on the grass. It had same symptoms as yours. It turned out to be the little ends (other end of conrod to big ends) and he ended up fitting a used engine.

Sorry Andy. You could try rogue systems, they sometimes have used NAs left after doing turbo conversions, see if Russ can swing you a deal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links