Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Plugs Have Gone For A Swim

newtomymr2

I spotted a little smoke today, thought I might have a turbo problem, took all the induction gear out, no oil there, pulled at the blades in the turbo a little, just a tiny bit of play ( I mean almost none ), so I took my spark plugs out, and yes 2 were swimming in oil :crybaby::crybaby:

what do we think? Piston rings shot and/or valve guides had it??

what are my options??, just spent a fortune on cluth, brakes etc, dont wanna bin the 2 now, :crybaby:

please help any suggestions would be much appretiated.................................. ...I really want to --> :crybaby:

should be zero play on turbo blades.

Sorry buddy, no clues.

Is the car still running ok?

Could it have been oil spilled in the holes when topping up?

if its your valve stem seals the car will smoke only when you pull of from lights (when you have been sitting at idle for a second. If its Piston rings, then it will smoke under acceleration.

stem seals is cheaper and easier, but piston rings are repairable, could get new bigger pistons etc aswell !!

There isnt any smoke Bound :huh: ......Ive just taken the plugs out given them a good clean, pushed a rag into the core's to clean up the oil, gonna let her warm up then give it a blast, see if there is any smoke, then get the plugs out again and see what's happening

I might be grasping at straws , but there is quite a lot of thick old oil on the rocker cover ( none fresh ) I first thought it was just a filthy engine, but I'm just starting to think it might be a clue to something else :unsure:

I think it was rico that asked if it was spillage, I first thought no chance, but I will see when the plugs are out again. <_<

My rocker cover was 'loose' when i got my car, on the intake side (if you get me) so oil was leaking slowly down around my intake maifold, down the head and block, and was burning off when the engine got hot ! - it stank and was smoking from my engine bay...was a bit concerned at first, but found the prob, and tighntened it, cleaned the engine and bob was my uncle ... !

I also had some misfiring problems, and had oil on my plugs !!. The rocker cover gasket has 'O' shapes in it around the spark plug holes in the rocker cover...these were knakered, and one was split on mine, so oil was leaking from the rocker cover...down the holes where the plugs are (and or course you cant see this without removing the leads !!) and slowly killed my plugs - they were sitting in oil.

So replaced rocker cover gasket, made sure it was all tight, replaced plugs and cleaned holes !!! sorted !!

If you wanna check for smoke (piston rings / valve team seals) then get some one to follow you is best if possible !!

OK went for a spin....no smoke pulling away, no smoke on acceleration, gave it a damn good hammering, got back, plugs out, burnt hands....and no oil !! I think I will get myself a new rocker cover gasket just incase, but very very relieved here, thanks Bound, I think you may have sorted it :thumbsup:

So replaced rocker cover gasket, made sure it was all tight, replaced plugs and cleaned holes !!! sorted !!

how much u pay for the gasket fella?

did u buy it from mr t as an mr2 turbo part and wait for delivery, or did u ask for a gt4 gasket?

how much u pay for the gasket fella?

did u buy it from mr t as an mr2 turbo part and wait for delivery, or did u ask for a gt4 gasket?

I got my local parts shop to get hold of one for me, so dunno what they asked for, but both will fit as far as i know, so it shouldnt be a problem !

Don't know how much it was!! - I got it with a load of other stuff as well, (Oil, Oil Filter...and some other bits..was a while ago) so cant remeber exactly what each bit cost.

But its a rubber one so it lasts ages, and can be removed and re-used if required - as long as you are carefull ! :thumbsup:

I think I will get myself a new rocker cover gasket just incase, but very very relieved here, thanks Bound, I think you may have sorted it  :thumbsup:

Just a quick note - as far as i remember the rocker cover gasket only includes '0' (holes) for plugs 1 and 4. Plugs 2 and 3 are surounded by a seperate kinda figure of 8 gasket like a O-O . I can t remember if i got that with the gasket or not !! i seam to remember wiping all the head clean, and the figure of 8 on the rocker cover, and using a tiny thin layer of 'Blue instant gasket'. :D

you'll see what i mean when you get the rocker cover off ! :thumbsup:

It all makes perfect sense now Bound :yes: , it was plugs 1 and 4 that were flooded , urgo gasket had it. :rolleyes:

I was gonna take a few piccys to show one and all as I havent done yet, but its started to rain just as I've finished washing it :ffs: no great loss though lol it's pretty standard looking, only 'give away's ' are the 17" BK's, EBC cross drilled and grooved discs, and clear fronts. ;)

.... oh and it sits about 0.000001 mm off the ground :P

I was gonna take a few piccys to show one and all as I havent done yet, but its started to rain just as I've finished washing it  :ffs:  no great loss though lol it's pretty standard looking, only 'give away's ' are the 17" BK's, EBC cross drilled and grooved discs, and clear fronts.  ;)

.... oh and it sits about 0.000001 mm off the ground  :P

Piccies!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links