Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Pressure Gauge

gtiman

I have a corolla GTI and the oil gauge goes up and down with the RPM of the car. At idle the oil gauge is slightly below half. When revving the pressure gauge goes up and remains constant about 3/4. Can anyone confirm if this is correct

I have a corolla GTI and the oil gauge goes up and down with the RPM of the car. At idle the oil gauge is slightly below half. When revving the pressure gauge goes up and remains constant about 3/4. Can anyone confirm if this is correct

Hi - Yeah, this is perfectly normal - higher the RPM, greater the pressure hence the rising gauge. Only be worried if the needle stays at half (or lower) when revving the engine!

Correct :yes::yes::yes:

However with some cars oil pressure gauges are very rarely accurate and cause more worry than actual use. Many a British Leyland Car/BMC car i've had with the oil light flickering at low revs or coming on when hard cornering and still no damage. :lol:

Correct  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

However with some cars oil pressure gauges are very rarely accurate and cause more worry than actual use. Many a British Leyland Car/BMC car i've had with the oil light flickering at low revs or coming on when hard cornering and still no damage. :lol:

The American Fords are even better... As soon as the oil pressure light goes out at tickover, the oil pressure gauge (as one magazine pointed out, the gauge makes no mention as to whether it's oil pressure, temperature, or oil level) snaps into the happy middle and doesn't budge... ever. They don't even have a sender... just a switch with a resistor! Gotta love Ford engineering.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links