Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help/advice

jonny24ie

Hi all,

I'm just after getting myself a new Corolla (its well newer than my 91 Micra) and I'm looking to get some supplies for it. :help:

Car: Corolla 3Door Hatchback, 2001 model.

What I need: I'm looking to get some alloys (i don't even know what size) and tyres but as cheap as I can get them. I'm willing to get a ferry to the UK to pick them up if they are cheaper than here and I would like them to be brand spanking new. Also I only have the cassette player in the car and I was wondering how cheap it is to get a boot changer or some sort of CD player system into the car to sort this out without having to take the dash apart at all.

Cheers in advance cos any help is much appreciated.

Jonny. :bye:

Hi Jonny

It all really depends how much money you want to spend, for a cd changer you can pick one up for a £100 but you are still going to need to take the headunit out to connect it up, alloy wheels anything from £300 upwards without tyres have you consider looking on eBay or 2nd hand parts

Hey, wlcome to TOC! :thumbsup:

Give eBay a try! I got my 17" wheel and tyre package for £301!! Not bad for a brand new set of alloys!!

Happy hunting! :lol:

Hey, wlcome to TOC!  :thumbsup:

Give eBay a try! I got my 17" wheel and tyre package for £301!! Not bad for a brand new set of alloys!!

Happy hunting!  :lol:

what size wheels would fit my car???

jonny, i was told in a motor store in stillorgan that the corolla would take 17s, although he could have been saying that to get rid of the special offer 17s in the shop. i'd reckon 16s are a good compromise, given the amount of f**kin speed bumps i've to go over every day. i've the 98 model saloon by the way.

Hey, wlcome to TOC!  :thumbsup:

Happy hunting!  :lol:

17" rims would need 205/40/17 tyres with offset of 38-42mm and PCD of 100!

16" rims or any rim size woud be same except a taller tyre to keep the rolling radius the same....

jonny, i was told in a motor store in stillorgan that the corolla would take 17s, although he could have been saying that to get rid of the special offer 17s in the shop. i'd reckon 16s are a good compromise, given the amount of f**kin speed bumps i've to go over every day. i've the 98 model saloon by the way.

from what I gather they will take 17's but it is a matter of price really cos I don't want to spend a fortune. how much were they??? also i'm debating between 15 and 16 really.

If you fit '17's' you may catch rear arch with 4 people and lugage in car.

With 16 inch wheels your tyres will probably cost more to replace than tyres for 17 inch wheels

As you have a 1998 Corolla and if you decide to got for 15 inch wheel and tyre set up (cheapest of course but will still notice better cornering and still retain comfort over bumps) make sure you get 195/55 R15 tyres to keep rolling radius the same not 195/50 R15 which a lot of wheel tyre packages appear to be.

If you fit '17's' you may catch rear arch with 4 people and lugage in car.

With 16 inch wheels your tyres will probably cost more to replace than tyres for 17 inch wheels

As you have a 1998 Corolla and if you decide to got for 15 inch wheel and tyre set up (cheapest of course but will still notice better cornering and still retain comfort over bumps) make sure you get 195/55 R15 tyres to keep rolling radius the same not 195/50 R15 which a lot of wheel tyre packages appear to be.

I actually have a 2001 Hatchback!!!!

Sorry got mixed up with the other chaps SR however the 2001 model is a face lift of the 1998 AE111 so tyre size will still apply (It's actually in the 2001 sales brochure about this).

Also. if you plan to lower the car, you will need to be cautious if you go for 17's as they might catch rear arches. My 17's catch front inner wing very very slightly on full lock and ive not lowered my car yet.

I wish I had 15's as I think the wheels are a bit heavier and it slows the acceleration a bit (maybe being picky though!) lol

As i said, look out for good deals on eBay, mine were only £301, brand new with Yoko A539 tyres.

johnny,

those wheels and rubber in stillorgan were 800euro team dynamics (phantom or tornado i think)

thats a bit steep.

i got quoted e1000 for 17s and rubber in another shop, so 800 quid seemed like a bargain compared to that. i was looking into alloys myself and they're a fair investment, so i was considering second hand alloys, but i'd be afraid of cracked and warped ones. i'd love to put a kit and wheels on her, but if i traded her in and added the price of the kit and wheels, i'd have the price of a celica. the usual modder's dilemma, you know yourself...

i got quoted e1000 for 17s and rubber in another shop, so 800 quid seemed like a bargain compared to that.  i was looking into alloys myself and they're a fair investment, so i was considering second hand alloys, but i'd be afraid of cracked and warped ones.  i'd love to put a kit and wheels on her, but if i traded her in and added the price of the kit and wheels, i'd have the price of a celica.  the usual modder's dilemma, you know yourself...

I know I only want the alloys cos the original wheels look gank!!! I will go for a set of 15's cos doing a bit of research says that you won't loose accel and all but you will notice alot better cornering and handling.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links