Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lrp To Unleaded Conversion

gus

hi peeps,

another question to tax your brains on, if you dont mind................ :eek:

I want to convert my '85 celica supra from LRP to unleaded fuel...... :ffs:

I know this will effect the performance but it is getting increasingly difficult to find LRP around the country :censor:

Whats the cheapest way of doing the conversion.....i have been told that there is a lead replacment system that you just drop into the tank. in the form of lead balls in a mesh case, this releases small amounts of lead into the fuel so fooling the engine so to speak........or there is the other hand of altering the timing and the rest of the bits and pieces but that may mean changing the valve housings as i think they are soft and not hard or the other way around........ :eek:

any help greatly appreciated

thanks peeps :thumbsup:

The cylinder head has to come off and to have the exhaust valve seats changed for harder ones.

The best way to proceed is to change from LRP to unleaded but use an additive such as VALVEMASTER which was developed by the same company that put lead in petrol in the first place until the head has to come off for some other reason.

I am curious about this issue.

Leaded petrol was banned in Japan back in 1978. Thus, all domestic models after 1978 are capable of running on unleaded.

I was wondering whether the non-cat engines on models aimed at the UK market has a softer valve seats even though the same engine exists for the Japanese domestic market. I would have thought they are the same, apart from not having a cat...

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this, i.e. having valve problems by running on unleaded for non-cat engines.

My 78 corolla runs fine on unleaded i checked in the practical classics mag and from what they list all post '78 toyotas are ok for unleaded fuel. Best bet is check with the dealer

yeah, id back that up.

ive got a 1985 corolla GT, which, up until 1999 was run on 4 star by the prev owner. however, amongst all the bills i have a written confirmation from toyota that the engine was designed to use 4 star OR unleaded.

ok need to get hold of toyota main people and find out for deffo......will keep you posted as to what i find out

rang toyota dealers in london.....about as much use as the perfebial whats its on a fish............when i told them what i owned the answer i got was wwhats one of those....never heard of it......think ill try somewhere else...... :lol:

Now theresa a surprise a toyota dealership not interested in any car thats over 5 yrs old, I think if its outta warraty they just wanna forget about it , most main dealers (toyota or not ) are pretty much the same :angry:

try phone octagon reading, if their parts dept are anything to go by they'll be more than happy to help :P

Hi gus,

I dont think you nead to run LRP

In fact im 99% certain.

All toyota twin cams from 1973 onwards dont need it (including mine) Toyota were very advanced back then, and made their Twins with hardend valve seats as standard. This is a FACT.

Ive been running mine on optimax and is fine (dont forget mine is older). If you are worried, then u can get aditives from Castrol to put in the tank (Ryan has seen me do this [im not the only one doing this with older celicas]) or every fourth tank, or so, u can fill up with LRP. I dont think u need to waste ur money on this conversion.

Just my 2 cents though :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links