Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rocker Cover Polishing

TWIN CAM ALLY

Hi guys I wonder if any one can help, my AE82 rocker cover is lookin pitted and manky! rather than just paint it, I was wondering if it can be polished to a high gloss shine?

If this is possible how is it done what is the procedure? has any one on the forum done this? How would you get rid of the old suface and what cutting compound and polishing tool would you use?

Suggestions any one :help:

Polished mine. Take a look in the Garage for a pic.

If you're planning to do it yourself, then just decide on which bits you want mirrored ( that's if you don't want to do the whole lot ) and go to it with 400 wet and dry and some Autoglym Metal polish.

When you've done that repeat with 800 grade + polish, then 1200 Grade + polish.

Finish with a cloth and more polish. It takes time but it's worth it IMO.

If you're going to do this though, get another rocker cover and do it to that one. Then, when it's ready just swap them over. You can then show off your lovely rocker cover and sell the old one to someone else to do the same with.

Rich

TWINCAM ALLY

If you are on about doing the 2 rocker covers (yes they are seperate) on the 4AGE engine then they can be a little difficult to do due to the amount of 'raised lettering' on them. A lot of people just do a nice job of painting them. Not only that the aluminium Toyota sometimes used on these seems to be very 'messy/impure' when in its bare form and dosen't look that good if you try to polish it up ...

...believe me I know, I tried it myself :lol:

take them to a powder coater and have them bead blasted first, then start with the sand paper and polish, or just habd them over to a metal polisher, they wont be that expensive as they're small. I've had much larger parts polished on the Regal and havent gone over £50 yet.

TWINCAM ALLY

If you are on about doing the 2 rocker covers (yes they are seperate) on the 4AGE engine then they can be a little difficult to do due to the amount of 'raised lettering' on them.

So just polish the raised bits......like I did.

gallery_10370_6_1100207734.jpg

It's so good coming on here, it's the simple details that can make a difference.

Bora Sera - I might give that a try.

I remember from engineering that aluminium reacts with the air and forms aluminium oxide (dull, cloudy finish). It does look good so as long as you don't mind the polishing a little more.

I'm still gonna do it on mine despite the hassle. :thumbsup:

on mine, rob had the letters polished and the rest painted red. it looks good! just an idea.

I like the red.... hmmmmmm where is my paint brush :D

Fanx for the replies guys n gals, I've changed my mind I'm now thinking of painting it what do you guys think about white as the car is white and red lettering

Very nice job JT what paint did you use and if you did it yourself how did you go about it?

Unfortunately, i can't take any credit for it. Rob had it done when he had the engine rebuilt (he posts on here as Treuno), so i dont know how it was done. it looks like a pro job tbh

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links