Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 T Fails Mot

stevetubbyturbo

Took my Rev 1 MR2 turbo to have its MOT today and it failed on

1) number plate bulb not working (not a problem)

2) no fog lights (not a problem)

3) track rod arm worn (not a problem)

4) rear O/S hand brake mechanisam ceased on the caliper (problem)

Can anyone offer any advice on how to un-cease the handbrake mech as i would like to have it MOT'ed for Sunday for the mini meet at Santa pod.

If i cant get it done in time i'll take the Lux to the meet but i dont think i'll put it down the 1/4 mile as little old lady with a zimmer frame would do a quicker 1/4 than my Lux :lol:

Cheers

Do you mean seized mate? Hard to say, is it the lever on the caliper where its stuck? If it's not too bad you may be able to free it with WD40 and elbow grease but don't get any on your pads ;) Sometimes a recon caliper is the quickest option though :yes:

seized

Yes mate i blame my missus she told me how to spell it :lol:

Its the lever thats seized up i'll have a look at it in the morning and if i cant get it freed off then i'll have to get a recon

Cheers

I honestly dont know the car has been sitting for 3 months without the hand brake on so i surpose it could be a possibillity.

Cheers

you may get away with just spraying the piston, take ou the pads, pump brakes and then spray piston with oil and using an extension bar, force it back in, repeat a few times and hope.

if you have abs then the piston will need to be twisted back in, cheap tool available from most shops.

is the mech one of those where you have to physically turn the piston round when you push it in? Usuallly they have little notches in edge of the piston so you can get a brake wind back tool to wind it back. i use circlip pliers on my golf

its likely that the ratchet in the handbrake mechanism is stuck. I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but this is what i did on my mums polo - same thing happened and i believe a similar type of caliper.

1. take wheel off,

2. take brake pads out.

3. get someone to pump the brake pedal

4. the piston will start to come out

5. keep pumping until the piston is out. make sure that you support hte piston else you'll break the rubber seal.

6. take out the spring clip that holds the rubber seal in.

7. you should be surrounded in brake fluid now!

8. have look inside the caliper, you should be able to see the ratchet pin,

9. pull the handbrake up and down a few times, you should see the pin go up and down a few times. if its stuck (highly likely) then get a screwdriver and some oil and lubricate and push it a few times.

refitting,

1. put the rubber seal into the caliper

2. put spring clip in

3. push the piston into the caliper and then start spinning it round. either with circlip pliers or with one of those brake winding tools.

4. bleed the brakes.

i hope this helps. You should only have to bleed the circuit with the said caliper on it. but check the brake fluid in the resevoir just in case!

hope this helps mate

have a nice day

sanj

Its a Rev 1 so i dont have ABS on it

but i cant seem to free it off so i feel its going to be a recon caliper

Not looking good for Santa pod on sunday :crybaby:

you mean get the caliper off?

Sorry: i cant seem to free the hand brake mech on the caliper

Can always bring the Surf :thumbsup:

Adds to variety too B)

Can always bring the Surf :thumbsup:

Adds to variety too B)

I think its gonna be the Surf; that will please the missus as she loves the Hilux and hates the MR2.

TBH i love them both as there just so totally different.

Im dreading the day she passes her test one of my babys will prpbably get dents :crybaby:

once the piston is out and the handbrake is off, you should be able to just move the ratchet up and down, if not hit it with a hammer - worth a try as a you might end up with a recon caliper.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links