Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Brake Discs?

msherry21

Hi all, Basically as the title really,

I have ordered new Pagid pads all round but was thinking of getting new discs as well. How do I know if I need new discs or not? Is there a check I can do? I'm not that technically minded, sorry.

thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi all, Basically as the title really,

I have ordered new Pagid pads all round but was thinking of getting new discs as well. How do I know if I need new discs or not? Is there a can check I can do? I'm not that technically minded, sorry.

thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Michael.

A nice and simple check you can do is to run a finger from the middle of the disc outwards to the rim. If there is a noticeable 'lip' to the disc (which you will feel with your finger) then you could probably do with some new ones. :thumbsup:

Make sure you do this before driving anywhere as the discs get damn hot!after just a short trip!!! :eek:

Hope that helps

You can measure the thickness of the disc, also check for excessive wear / scoring.

As for how thick the disc should be, I guess that depends on the discs you have on there :yes:

BGB - Brake system

sorry, dan, could you be more specific with "lip"?

If I havn't driven the car for a few days and pull away, the brakes have seized on and when it releases and I look at the disc, there is an imprint of the pad on the disc. Don't know if that helps at all but its a nice little story.

Michael.

sounds like a possible sticky caliper.your discs from new will be around 30 mm thick , the lip can occur within 500 miles so isnt much of a guide .if your caliper is sticking you would feel it through the steering wheel on light braking ( vibration ) , if you do have a sticky caliper you need to sort it before putting new discs on as they wont last long before they warp.a caliper service kit from toyota is about £25 , new recon calipers can be bought from www.brakesinternational.co.uk £65 , with discount for your old one.

ps- do you speak of the front or rear calipers ???

sorry, dan, could you be more specific with "lip"?

If I havn't driven the car for a few days and pull away, the brakes have seized on and when it releases and I look at the disc, there is an imprint of the pad on the disc. Don't know if that helps at all but its a nice little story.

Michael.

Oh come on!!! obviously if there is a ridge where the pads wear on the disc and where they dont. <_<

cmaster you,ll be suprised at the non mechanical people who ask questions here , what seems to you the obvious is a pandoras box to others. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links