Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Advice Please Ae82

Blueneon

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy an AE82 (if i can find one!) and have a few questions if any one can help!

am I right in thinking they all use 4ageu engine?

what are the 'rot spots'?

any common faults to look/listen for?

How much is a sensible price? (I know it depends on how much Im willing to pay but I think you know what I mean)

Anything I have missed that you think I should know will be very welcome! I am hoping to get the car and get it ready for JAE, Last year was great fun.

Thanks all in advance

T

ah exelletnt choice,great car bags of fun.all gt's use the 4age engine and are very tunable.like you say its finding one ,rust spots are wings archs and near sunroof,bar that that a really solid car.bar that i never heard of probs as ive had no bother with mine bar silly things like flat tyres etc.

as for price it depends on milage,cond etc.

well good look mate hope it brings you as much fun as mine :D

if this is any help i saw a white corolla gt parked up onthe side road for sale yesterday

it looks absolutely clean

i can't remember whether it has got mot or tax but it sure stands out

i dont know too much detail about it but if you want me to get the number i will if you really would like to call about it

Thank you for the info guys, I have been after an 86 for ages, but could never afford one, so i bought a Silvia it looks like this :

Pict0199.jpg

So i think the AE82 will do the job nicley!

Yagga: Thanks for thinking about me :) I am not ready to buy yet, Im going to do a bitmore reserch and gather a bit more cash!

Other rot spots are:

Tail Gate

Back of sills (and closing panel)

and (nasty one this, but starting to get more evident due to age) ...rear shock absorber/suspension turrets/mounts up in side inner rear wheel arch.

Nissan Silvia ...brilliant bit of 80's machinery :thumbsup:

lol, i wanted a silvia before i got my AE82, but couldn't insure it. i was gutted, as i found a light blue one (turbo) in southport with genuine 25k miles on it, and the old bloke only wanted £800 :crybaby: it still narks me now!!

the only other things i can think of than what's been said is the A pillars and windscreen surround (rust) and the clutch slave and master cylinders seem to fail as they get older. oh, and the rear calipers seize and are £130 each and that's for aftermarket examples, so check the handbrake works!

some bits of trim are getting hard to get hold of - the rear mudguards and front bumper trims aren't made anymore, so you can have a hard time sourcing replacements. also the wheelarch extensions warp, due to the metal strip inside them rusting. they are still available from toyota, but at around £50 each, try and find a car with them still intact!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words guys, I love my Silvia and I am not going to sell it, but I really want an 80's corolla, wifey says i can have both! (must be a good day, or a blue moon!) I need a bit more cash first, but thats ok, thank you for all the tips so far.

I got my Silvia for £350 last year but had to travel from Folkstone (kent) to Newcastle to get it (a superb 2 day road trip which we caught on video...) Its is exactly the same basically as an 86 Sprinter Trueno, its a RWD coupe (exept its turbocharged, no LSD and is about 200kg heavier) I have seen them go for virtually no money on eBay!

heres a couple more pics of my one...

Pict0197.jpg

Pict0194.jpg

T

Looks like u robbed that for £300!! :D here's my AE82 (except it now has red calipers and a SS exhaust)

80790191.jpg

80790214.jpg

Hi blueneon get rid of the silvia and get an ae82 you wont regret it, i'm surprised silvias are still about what with all the turbo problems nissans seem to have.

Oh and if you do go to look at an ae82 don't forget to check that it doesnt jump out of 5th gear on the test drive and watch for the brakes they can be wooden but despite all the common faults they just keep going, virtually bullet proof.

all gt's use the 4age engine

Does that just apply to Ae82's? or was the 4ag-eu used in other cars? was it replaced in later models?

Sorry for the questions...

the 4A-GE engine was used in loads of different models. the Mk1 MR2, AE86 and AE82 all used the same version of the 4A-GE. It was then revised a little for the AE92, and got a small power increase (about 5bhp i think). In 1991 it was revised again, no longer used the TVIS injection system and had 129bhp. In japan, the engine was further developed into a 20v unit in the AE101 corolla, and was also supercharged in the MR2 and fwd levin models

all AE82 GTs have the same 4A-GE engine

JT - AE82's Looking good (as always :D ) :thumbsup:

Rash

cheers :D

i really need to get some new pictures taken, now i've had the arch sorted and the exhaust, and painted the calipers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links