Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Temp Through The Roof!

Bryn

As above:-

I was just drivin along with the roof off as it is a great day up here in glasgow.

Suddenly heard this lound squeelin. In a panic i looked at the dash for a warnin light. Nothin there looked fine. In the corner of my eye i saw movement and i was staitionary at a traffic light. The engine temp needly slowly was movin up :eek: .

As the needle reached the red this load noise got louder. Must be the fan. "**** this " i headed for home.

As soon as got back. Jumped out the car to see smoke wafting around the back passanger side. I opened the bonnet and more smoke came pissin out. "Arrrrrgh".

"What the hell." I noticed as i looked through the engine that it was pissin what looked like coolent.

What has happend? Is this commen? How do i fix it?

I am in a panic. This is the first time i have been drivin a car an something major has gone wrong. What do i do?

please help.

Just don't drive it until you can determine what it is.

The last thing you want is doing more damage...

Could be a coolant hose. I'm afraid you'll have to get yours hands dirty and try and check all your hoses first.

Just don't drive it until you can determine what it is.

The last thing you want is doing more damage...

Could be a coolant hose. I'm afraid you'll have to get yours hands dirty and try and check all your hoses first.

Sounds Fun :huh:

Cheers

I wussed out and called the AA coz i need to head home tomorrow.

The Guy just left and he could't fix it.

He recconed it is the HEAD GASGET.

**** me :eek: :ffs: :censor: :crybaby:

This day has went from bad to worce.

Cheers for the help.

Bugger....tried flushing the system and refilling it with a decent brand of coolant & getting all the air out of the system??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

My guess is that the noise was the the water pump giving up, which then caused your car to seriously overheat, which then caused headgasket failure.

The bad news is that your c/head is aluminium and almost certainly warped. The good news is that the block is iron and hopefully isn't warped. Having said that if you overheated it that badly the piston rings might have gone brittle and could be shot too. You really should have stopped the engine as soon as you realised that it was overheating, but I guess you know that now.

A main dealer will probably charge £1500 to recon the head and refit it. If you strip it down yourself a machine shop would be able to skim it for ~£100. But if your rings are bad then you will need the bottom end looking at as well.

An engine transplant might be a better option for you.

**** me  :eek:  :ffs:  :censor:  :crybaby:

Cheers for the help.

Why did he think the head gasket was shot? I agree with mikeb, its probably the water pump. If the engine didnt overheat too much you might be lucky. Apart from the overheating was the car running ok, are there any other symptoms to suggest a blown head gasket?

**** me  :eek:  :ffs:  :censor:  :crybaby:

Cheers for the help.

Why did he think the head gasket was shot? I agree with mikeb, its probably the water pump. If the engine didnt overheat too much you might be lucky. Apart from the overheating was the car running ok, are there any other symptoms to suggest a blown head gasket?

He firstly thought it had just overheated. so he drained the coolent and refilled it.

After a short time the temp shot up again.

The car had been sittin for 3 hours before this.

There was a large amount of smoke comin out the exhaust at this point especially the left one( if you were lookin at it from behind.)

I am gettin checked out at tomorrow so i will find out.

Afew ppl recon £300 is what i am lookin at, min. But £1500 **** me if that is the case i am screwed.

Thats life sometimes, ***** sometimes. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links