Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Rev Limits

Mr2dude

Hi Guys, been a way a while and both MR2 off the road for a while.

The tubby is in a garage at the minute and they've been examining the ECU stuff.

The original problem (?) was that the rev limiter kicks in a 6000.

After full testing all the sensors are working and the ECU itself is ok. The guy at the garage said he hunted around and found in the end that just over 6K is the standard Rev limit of a tubby.

Mines running 18PSI boost (ROSS, forged pistons etc to handle it), dont wanna look to increase the rev limit if it will blow something.

So...

What rev limits are you tubby guys running at ? 6000 is a fault, or is it supposed to be like this ?

Cheers,

Steve

P.s My car broke the rolling road hehe. Needs more time for the power charts, should get them after the easter hols.

Hi Guys, been a way a while and both MR2 off the road for a while.

The tubby is in a garage at the minute and they've been examining the ECU stuff.

The original problem (?) was that the rev limiter kicks in a 6000.

After full testing all the sensors are working and the ECU itself is ok. The guy at the garage said he hunted around and found in the end that just over 6K is the standard Rev limit of a tubby.

Mines running 18PSI boost (ROSS, forged pistons etc to handle it), dont wanna look to increase the rev limit if it will blow something.

So...

What rev limits are you tubby guys running at ? 6000 is a fault, or is it supposed to be like this ?

Cheers,

Steve

P.s My car broke the rolling road hehe. Needs more time for the power charts, should get them after the easter hols.

Are you sure your rev counter is working ok.

7250 Hmm.

ok Any suggestions as to what might be causing me to be stuck at 6 ? Its a bit of a pain, cause it kicks in and the gear change brings me in at about 3500 revs, which then requires at bit of time for the turbo to spool up again. Ideally I would be changing about 6500-6800 and engage next gear at 4000 to keep maximum torque.

Garage can find no faults on sensors, rev dial or wiring.

ECU box replacement mabey ?

This garage will fit the EmeraldM3D ECU but i'm looking at about 1200quid for the job.

Ta

Steve

Spotted this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Could be a cheap solution.

I'm a little worried about the upgrades to the engine (fuel cut defensor, boost controller, increased PSI) and using a standard ECU on it. But its already got a standard ECU anyway, so I guess that would be ok.

My engine is supposedly a Rev3 block although cannot know for sure. Will a Rev2 ECU go on a REV3 engine or are there are engine management factors that different engines that require specific ECU's for them to work properly ?

for the price your paying for that aftermarket ecu you could get a APEXI power FC and comander and have it fitted and mapped at thor and have £600 change.

P.S 6000 rpm limit is balls, stock at 7250 mines now now unlimited , i've regularly hit 7750rpm recorded on my RSM with no issues.

for the price your paying for that aftermarket ecu you could get a APEXI power FC and comander and have it fitted and mapped at thor and have £600 change.

P.S 6000 rpm limit is balls, stock at 7250 mines now now unlimited , i've regularly hit 7750rpm recorded on my RSM with no issues.

600 Change sounds like a good idea ! I've bought that ECU from eBay, at 50quid its worth a gamble.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Apexi-54.asp I assume you mean for the Power FC stuff, I'll give them a ring, cheers.

Cheers

Steve

yeah if you get the Power FC from nengun it's £440 delivered then thor will charge you £300 + vat to map it fitting is no charge as you have a rev3 its plug and play.

As for this ECU i just got on eBay, is there a possibility of causing damage to other engine components if i stick it in and see if the rev limit is restored to 7250 ?

I've already paid for it, but I dont mind loosing 50 quid if its gonna be useless, and I'd rather not risk more expensive failures if its a bad idea to try it.

Didnt get any replies before the auction ended so I took the plunge, it seemed like good buy if it will sort me out (last one I saw sold for over 100).

Ta

Steve

Well the Rev2 ECU was no good (unless it was a duff, but I doubt it), so anyone wondering about Rev2/3 ECU compatibilty, forget it.

Next step will have to be an Apexi FC.

I know Thor do it, but Coventry is 200 miles away, anyone know a garage in the North East of england (Newcastle/Sunderland/Darlington/Durham areas) that would program it ?

Steve

does that mean you have a spare Rev2 ECU laying about?

does that mean you have a spare Rev2 ECU laying about?

Yer its up on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4540161897

Was hoping for 50quid (what I paid for it), i can pull if from the auction if you wanna buy it now.

Cheers

Steve

* Bibbs scrabbles for wallet *

The 6k limit is crap! I hit well over 7k all the time... :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links