Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dreaming Of A Mr2

dreaming05

Hello,

I am after some advice as i may have the good fortune into coming onto about £3000 soon (smiling big time). Have set my heart on a Mk2 MR2.

I have seen loads advertised for around this price but they all come in around 80,000 miles when looking at a T-Bar version.

Is that a good price? and what do you suggest i look out for? i.e buy trade or stick with private.

Anyone has advice on any variant of the MK2 for around this price range would be very grateful.

(how many miles would the average MK2 last for????????)

Thanks

£3000 would get you an okMk2 Rev1 or Rev 2...

Engines run forever if looked after.. service history is good.

Also options of buying an Import or a UK spec car.

Try www.autotrader.co.uk for a range of MR2 in that price bracket.

T-bar's are going to fetch more money than tin tops or moon roof models. You should get a pretty decent N/A car for that money, I'd expect around the 50-70k miles. remember to look for the usual things that go wrong with cars as they get old. Good luck

Thanks for replies. I have looked at autotrader and eBay! but i have to get over this massive hurdle= buying without seeing the car first !!! I have heard of all these dodgy stories yet there seems to be some good bargains about.

I'm starting to research price's listed from various sources and mileage etc.

With the turbo versions are they more prone to problems / any special considerations on mileage with these?

I have 100's of questions in my head but as a newbie i think i had better keep myself in check and do some serious homework before i buy.

Thanks

Thanks for replies. I have looked at autotrader and ebay! but i have to get over this massive hurdle= buying without seeing the car first !!! I have heard of all these dodgy stories yet there seems to be some good bargains about.

I'm starting to research price's listed from various sources and mileage etc.

With the turbo versions are they more prone to problems / any special considerations on mileage with these?

I have 100's of questions in my head but as a newbie i think i had better keep myself in check and do some serious homework before i buy.

Thanks

I bought mine off Autotrader, I wouldn't buy a car without looking and test driving it. Depends what you want and can afford from the car as to whether you go for a N/A or turbo. A decent t-bar turbo will easily fetch £4k+

Your best bet is to do a search on here for any questions you may have. The answers will most probably be a mouse click away. :thumbsup:

Joe

It's always best to check the car out properly first. I admit I rushed into buying mine, only had a brief test drive and couldn't see the paintwork all that well coz it was quite dark. Luckily it seems to have been a decent car but I've seen some dogs out there, some from import garages who buy damaged cars, repair them cheaply then sell them on. BUT most people do seem to take care of their MR2's so buying privately might be best, a lady owner is always good too.

Appreciate replies, As i haven't got the funds right now, buggers luck may have just seen one go for £3700 only 12 miles away !! it was a T-bar 56000 miles L reg and looked stunning from picture.

Am no longer dreaming, am now obsessed by having one !!!!

Can't believe how the prices fluctuate between people though, i have seen what looks almost identical age / mileage / condition vary between £1000.

Anyone recommend ( or not ) eBay?

Prey i don't get one, i'll be posting pics of every nut and bolt on the car in such awe !!!

Appreciate replies, As i haven't got the funds right now, buggers luck may have just seen one go for £3700 only 12 miles away !! it was a T-bar 56000 miles L reg and looked stunning from picture.

Am no longer dreaming, am now obsessed by having one !!!!

Can't believe how the prices fluctuate between people though, i have seen what looks almost identical age / mileage / condition vary between £1000.

Anyone recommend ( or not ) ebay?

Prey i don't get one, i'll be posting pics of every nut and bolt on the car in such awe !!!

There are some bargains to be had on eBay but don't buy without looking. Any decent ebayer will understand why you want to look and if it is an honest car they should not refuse you coming before bidding.

I bought my rev 1 from Autotrader and was lucky. I'd seen a few real dogs and this one was just a bargain waiting to be snapped up so slapped £200 in his hand there and then and said if he accepted that, I'd pay the rest and collect the next day....He accepted. Don't dismiss tin tops or sunroof (moon roof) ones just because it would be nice to have a t top. I was sure I wanted a t top, but ended up with my sunroof one and have not looked back in anger. All the t tops I looked at at the time were not to my expectations.

Don't jump in and buy the first one, test drive a few, even if you can't afford it or don't have the funds as yet, you need to know if you are looking to buy a good or a bad one and the more test drives, the better idea you have.

Check out insuranc e too before picking a model you want. I found I could afford a UK car or a turbo, but the Jap G Ltd was more than double on the insurance!!!!!

I also thought owning an MR2 would stay in my dreams but you can make it a reality easily!

Its in everyones reach!

Just want to say have only been here 5 minutes (and don't even own an MR2 yet), but credit goes to all those that have given support / advice so far. Forums can be very close -knit and intimidating, cheers from a newbie :thumbsup: appreciate any comments.

I can't speak for the turbo boys but I can tell you that the n/a engine is bulletproof if serviced regularly. I got mine with 70k on it 8 years ago and it's now at 187k and never missed a beat!

Good luck finding the right one.

I always wanted a 2 from the time I saw my first mk1. The mk2 blew me away :drool: , and still is an absolute stunner. Finally got one a few weeks back. Magic!!!

If you're not in a huge hurry to buy, I'd hold out for a T-Bar. As Fitz rightly said, don't buy one just because it's a T-Bar, not much use having a T-Bar that turns heads cos it's full of dents, or just sits in the garage all the time. Yeah they leak, but it's easily fixed and the first time I had the roof off was like the first day I owned the car all over again. It really does attract attention B)

Best of luck with it :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links