Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Access To Speedo

Gav H

Help !

Ive just got my 1991 MR2 turbo and I want to alter the appearance of the dash , but I dont know how to get access to the cars speedo and rev counter , can someone tell me how I remove the clear plastic cover to get there as this seems to be my 1st hurdle ! <_<

remove all the fascia around the stereo .. then undo the screws on the speedo binical.

Then reach behind and pull out all the wires.

Then unclip the clear front .. and then pull out the black dial covers ..

You should be able to now unscrew the dials ..

Help !

Ive just got my 1991 MR2 turbo  and I want to alter the appearance of the dash , but I dont know how to get access to the cars speedo and rev counter , can someone tell me how I remove the clear plastic cover to get there as this seems to be my 1st hurdle ! <_<

1) There are two screws on the underside of the dash on the rubbery plastic bit, one just to the left of the steering column and the other above the fog lights etc.. unscrew these and pull the rubbery piece down (it is only retained by two strong clips)

2) take out the ashtray.

there are two screws behind this, take these out.

3) pull back the gearstick plastic and pull this up with the use of a flat bladed screw driver.

Once you have done this pull the centre facia off. You will need to pull it straight out as the air vents slot into the internal vents. There are no more screws on this you just need to pull it out.

4) You then need to remove the right section of the facia, this is again just held in with clips.

5) Once you have these off there are four screws holding the speedo in place. First remove the top screws as these hold in the bit of plastic above the speedo, this needs to be pulled down as it (AGAIN) is held in by two clips.

6) Remove the bottom screws and the speedo should come out. The glass/plastic is only held in by about 6 plastic. I wouldnt remove the speedo entirely if you are uncomfortable with the wiring, as you dont necessarily need to anyway.

7) Once you have the glass off you can remove the black facia the same as the glass and then you can change the dials..

BE FOREWARNED !!!

Dont just take the needles off as they will need to be recalibrated. I would recommend at the minimum making a mark somewhere of where the needle rests when the car is running, to do this you will need to move the needle over the resting pin. all of the needles need to be marked like this.

I hope this helps.

Skeete

Thanks Guys , I presume everything goes back easily enough too ??  :(

Its exactly in reverse .. Its very simple and can be removed and refitted in about 10-15 minutes.

Skeete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links