Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handling

Silent BoB

Wee question for you all, My GT seems to suffer really badly from understeer (esp in the wet) :eek: Is this normal? Or are these NangKang Tyres on the front to blame?

I Have Eagle F1’s on the back and it just doesn’t seem to step out of line at all.

ta

what size are the tyres front and back? Yes nankangs arnt especially great in the wet..well lets be blunt, theyre crap! I have them on mine aswell since they came with the alloys, ok in the dry but almost useless in the wet at high cornering speeds

The F1's are very good tyres for the MR2, toyo proxes T1-S/T1-R and bridgestones SO2/SO3 are also highly recommended!

The tyres will make a BIG difference.

If you are on stock alloys got for 205/225 sizes front and rear.

If you are on larger aftermarket, 215/235 is better.

I've managed to modify a lot of the understear out of the car. Only slides on very wet roads now.

I'd agree with Bibbs.

Your tyres are the only part of your car that come into contact with the road (hopefully), so buy the best you can possibly afford. :thumbsup:

OK my tyre sizes are

195 / 50 R15 up front and 225 45 R15 at the back <-- resonably sure thats the size's will double check later. (if its wrong ill post the sizes again) Its toyota alloys that are on it. Thinking of holding off until summer until those Toyo R888's become available for my size. The is if I dont get to my wits end with the stunning lack of grip up front before then. :wacko:

On a stock set-up (Rev2 onwards) you should have 195/55/15 (front) and 225/50/15 rear.

Also make sure the tyre pressures are correct as stipulated in the owners manual.

195/225 is the stock setup .. a lot (like 95%) of peeps got 205 on the front to help dial out understear ..

nankangs are trash, i seriously say get rid, i had them on my yaris and spun it twice with them in the wet! and thats a 105bhp FWD car! :eek:

also ive heard if you have no spare wheel or the front is totally emtpy it makes it really light and twitchy

also check your suspension bushes and steering bushes are cool

:)

I think most MR2's understeer to be honest due to the setup. The tyres should only make a slight difference. I have Nankang's on mine, as has been said they're very good in the dry but a bit loose in the wet when driving hard. Mine did understeer before with Avon's on the front.

also ive heard if you have no spare wheel or the front is totally emtpy it makes it really light and twitchy

And a CF bonnet also makes it fun ..

understeer is usually induced by driving style rather than the car, its possible the camber is not right and also possible its running toe in.

Mine is suffering a little from understeer since i fitted the bigger wheels and lowering springs but i've still to get the tracking done so that should sort it out a bit...

Also, I need a front strut top mount if anyone has one lying about... :thumbsup:

I got an MG TF last week as a courtesy car.

MR2 owners do not know the meaning of understeer in a mid engine RWD set up unless they've driven a TF :o

The thing was dreadful to drive - I hated it... Until I got it into a damp open space (matron) and thrashed the nuts off it :D

You have to do a lot (or be really, really stupid) to get the rear end to step out. but in general the handling was pants and wasn't helped by the fact every tyre was a different pressure :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links