Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy...

JappyBeast

I was pretty young when the series was out, has anyone seen the adverts for the new film?

Thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scionic

• Fidgits

• Demonic Angel

• Matthew_McNally

I'm excited about it, but if Ford Prefect isn't English with an English accent I will be furious. They'd better not F this up, damn it.

The ads look quite good - my favourite Bill Nighy is in it and a few other famous Brit faces too!

It looks very special effects driven though - I've not read the book but I just hope its not one of those "fantastic special effects, lame film" sort of movies....

I'm excited about it, but if Ford Prefect isn't English with an English accent I will be furious. They'd better not F this up, damn it.

Just looked on imdb and Ford Prefect is played by Mos Def, a Brooklyn hip-hop artist! So definately not English but he may still have the accent, who knows.....

Ah, I meant Arthur Dent. I see an Englishman is playing him at least.

It looks like this is being made by Hollywood, so I'm guardedly optimistic. We have a real talent for taking good stories, throwing 100's of millions at them and still coming up with crap though.

Something about Hollywood, they seem to think everything has to be intellectually accessible to 5 year olds (or adults with the minds of 5 year olds)

Then again Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay so with any luck he will have enough creative control to keep them from ruining the movie in editing or dumbing it down too much.

Yup I have seen the adverts for it and wanna go see it,

Also War of the Worlds is coming with Tom Criuse mmmmmmmmm want to see that tooooo.

I'm not kidding sorry and imdb are hardly ever wrong..... check it out....

IMDB

According to the imdb boards - Mos Def is brilliant as Ford Prefect.... but thats just someone elses opinion.....

Whaa?

I didn't even think the film was out yet! How've they seen it already?

Mos Def is a good actor, so I could see him being alright... I'm just used to the BBC series, so I think of all the characters as English, you know..

They may have seen test screenings - where they send out a pre-release version and see if people liked it or not - if not they go back and cut cut cut!

Its easy to get preconceptions though - I'm a huge fan of the 1995 BBC serial of Pride and Prejudice - to me, that series is brilliance and nothing can top it and when I heard a film version was being made I was like "How can they put 6 hours of serial into a 2 hour movie?" and then I heard Keira Knightley was going to play Elizabeth and I thought "Shes a good actress, but shes not Lizzie Bennet" but all I have heard is excellent test reviews, so I'm going to see it anyway but I'm still not too sure about it.

Saying that, I'm glad a Brit is playing Lizzie and not an American actress! Although some of the rest of the cast is American and I just hope they can pull 19th century Britain off!

If you are a fan of an older version, sometimes its hard to let go!

I cant wait to see the film!!! I was only teeny when it was on TV, but my dad recorded every episode (and I till have the tape!). Arthur Dent is definitely english thank god, just wondering how they are going to do Beeblebrox second head :lol:

Read all five books in the trilogy....

I am going to see this film when its released - I mean, Ben knightly as Zaphod!

That's not a surprise since you've got Rimmer as your avatar.

Obviously a Sci-fi fan! :thumbsup:

I thought Fidgits avatar was ***** or Dom out of that ***** & Dom in the bungalow programme..... :o

Thats no way Rimmer - is it? I've definately not seen that episode! :lol::lol:

Then again Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay so with any luck he will have enough creative control to keep them from ruining the movie in editing or dumbing it down too much.

That may be a bit difficult as he died a few years ago ;)

TBH, I'm a bit suspicious of the film. There's no way Ford Prefect is American let alone black... Still, I could be surprised and I will be going to see it when it comes out.

DA, that's definitely Rimmer - there's even a Red Dwarf logo in one of the corners of the pic..

A

It'll be fine though Zaphod seems to only have the usual number of heads and arms in this movie. Why, I don't know. :angry:

Have a look here clicky

Marvin is cute and there are three trailers to watch. My favourite is the movie trailer that explains about movie trailers!

don't get your hopes up too much people - name one Hollywood film that lives up to the book - especially sci-fi.

yeah - they are awesome. I think the humour is a bit too "British" though, and a lot of it is gonna be lost in the usual dumbing down for the American audiences.

Am I the only one who thinks Eddie Izzard should have been Zaphod?

On the subject of trailers - anyone seen the Scanner Darkly trailer? That haves a really good look to it, captures the "everyone is permanently ****** up on drugs" feel of the book.

I thought Fidgits avatar was ***** or Dom out of that ***** & Dom in the bungalow programme..... :o

Of course its rimmer - from the episde quaratine.... tut tut, your obviously not a fan... your making mr flibbles upset...

And Matt, yes i heard the hype, and was expecting a truely american movie - but from the trailers, the main stars are british, so i'm hoping its maintained the humour and all-round english-ness of the books...

Yes, we are getting some dumbing down. 'Marvin the paranoid android' becomes 'Marvin the depressed robot' (sheesh!). It does look like it will be worth a watch though.

Matthew, I've just watched the Scanner Darkly trailer and it looks like it's going to be awesome.

Also want to see Fantastic Four as I'm a bit of a sucker for these movies having been a fan of superhero comic books as a kid. Not sure about Herbie Fully Loaded though where 'he' goes Nascar racing!

Wasted far too much time this afternoon watching movie trailers. Here's a nice link if you don't already have it.

movie trailers

Watching through iTunes is pretty good too.

Yes, we are getting some dumbing down. 'Marvin the paranoid android' becomes 'Marvin the depressed robot' (sheesh!). It does look like it will be worth a watch though.

Matthew, I've just watched the Scanner Darkly trailer and it looks like it's going to be awesome.

you read the book mate?

really good - very "out there" sci fi B)

the "cartoon" type effect is really well done though

That may be a bit difficult as he died a few years ago ;)

TBH, I'm a bit suspicious of the film. There's no way Ford Prefect is American let alone black... Still, I could be surprised and I will be going to see it when it comes out.

DA, that's definitely Rimmer - there's even a Red Dwarf logo in one of the corners of the pic..

A

D'oh! Of course there is!

Of course its rimmer - from the episde quaratine.... tut tut, your obviously not a fan... your making mr flibbles upset...

I am a fan - just not seen that episode - I stand corrected - I see the logo!

don't get your hopes up too much people - name one Hollywood film that lives up to the book - especially sci-fi.

yeah - they are awesome. I think the humour is a bit too "British" though, and a lot of it is gonna be lost in the usual dumbing down for the American audiences.

Would an 18 year old find this funny? or would you say its abit outdated now?

You just got me intrugited (sp) thats all

Well, if its anything like the book then I'm sure you will.

Absolutely and totally not outdated :thumbsup:

A

you read the book mate?

really good - very "out there" sci fi  B)

the "cartoon" type effect is really well done though

No but I should. The man is legend. They didn't make too bad a job of Bladerunner, in my opinion.

That cartoon effect is great. Half real, half animation. Very clever.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links