Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy...

JappyBeast

Looking at the film it lacks a real sense of having to survive in another world because of the simple fact they have to cram it into just under 2 hours of air time.

The advantage that the TV series obviously has had over the film is that something different can be played out each episode wheras here we had a compressed version. Too little time in which to use too much material. :(

The quirky narration was good by Stephen Fry :thumbsup: and without it the film would have been meaningless.

Mos Def IMO wasn't the greatest choice for his role.......Maybe someone a lil' bit madder (Chris Tucker possibly) could have added something more to that role.

Arthur Dent was a typical glum English character and was played very well indeed :thumbsup: .

The Android, Marvin, needed more to do rather than just act depressed. They could have played on his Paranoia a lot more rather than just using it for one memorable scene where he uses the gun to turn everyone to his state of mind. :(

This was an excellant idea for a character but seriously under-employed.

Any film they make from a TV series that was successful is always going to struggle to live up to expectations. The characters we knew/know are the ones we love so new actors have a BIG job to faithfully interpret the roles.

Your comments about creating a Movie of Red Dwarf, while admirable :thumbsup: , wouldn't be practical to the masses who grew up with the TV show. The Cat, Rimmer, Kryton, Lister............These are fantastic characters but UNIQUE.........

I met Danny John-Jules the other week in London and he is the CAT all over. You will never forget him and no-one would work in his place.

That is one film I hope they NEVER make. :yes:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scionic

• Fidgits

• Demonic Angel

• Matthew_McNally

Thought they were making the Red Dwarf film with all the orginal characters?

Really - what all the original actors??? - Now if that is the case then it would be BRILLIANT. :D :D :D

BRING IT ON NOW :thumbsup:

Which computer by the way - The man or woman?????????

Well, ive seen this now...

and, as a fan of the books (read a couple of times) I can say, dont watch this if you have read the book recently - i made the mistake of digging out the first last week to read while travelling...

But, as a movie, it was pretty good - although, in all honesty it started weak, and although it picked up, none of the actors actually managed to carry the story.

What was sad was a lot of the jokes didnt translate too well, and although were funny, that was more down to the book.

The story does deviate away from the book, and while it does 'get back on course', dont expect too much.

All in all, i enjoyed it, but it was a light and fluffy movie that while entertaining for 90 minutes, does not have the impact, or the weight of the book.

Dont get me wrong, its worth seeing, its entertaining, and has some funny moments, we both enjoyed it, but I wont be buying the DVD.. :thumbsup:

Bit too much made of Arthur Dent's and Trillian's relationship for my liking, but most of it wasn't messed up too much. I enjoyed it - probably because I had very low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised.

I actually agree with a lot of what Gordy said. I think my expectations may have been a little lower though and it has been no less than 15 years since I read the book so all the details weren't fresh in my mind.

No film has the "weight or impact" of the book. That's the thing about movies. 400-500 pages or whatever does not translate into 90-120 minutes. It just doesn't. If it did, then it was a light and fluffy book.

I agree somewhat with most of the criticisms, but at the same time I think they did nearly as good a job as anyone could have with this. Marvin the robot, minor point, sure, he could have been more paranoid. Does that make the whole movie weak? I don't think so. The one thing I'd fault it with was it seemed perhaps a little abbreviated, like you said. You didn't get the full sense of the struggle to survive, but you'd need to add a bunch of time to the film that would serve no other purpose but to build that sense. They probably decided that wasn't worth it, but that footage will show up later in the directors cut and or DVD extras so there you have it.

Overall I'd give it 8/10 as a movie.

It's a ridiculously beloved book, so there was no way most people were going to be happy with the movie. You'd have to make it 7 hours long to please everyone. I think you'd be hard pressed to do a better job then they did in the time allotted.

The BBC series was much more comprehensive, but had typically laughable special effects (see Zaphods head on page one of this thread) This film was the first time the story was ever done justice with proper FX and that alone was rewarding to see IMO.

A Red Dwarf film would be great, I don't care what anyone says! It would be much easier to turn into a screenplay and a good film than HHGTTG was.

We could get Fidgits to play Rimmer. :lol:

Bit too much made of Arthur Dent's and Trillian's relationship for my liking, but most of it wasn't messed up too much.  I enjoyed it - probably because I had very low expectations so I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, that was one of my gripes, they turned it into a love story, which wasnt in the books...

It was better when it was 'just one of those coincidences'.

As i said, as a movie, it was okay, along similar lines as dodgeball - a nice fluffy comedy you dont take seriously...

The BBC series was much more comprehensive, but had typically laughable special effects (see Zaphods head on page one of this thread) This film was the first time the story was ever done justice with proper FX and that alone was rewarding to see IMO.

Think I'd have rather had the old special effects for Zaphod's head. The way they've done it in the film looks very amateur. 'How can we make the 2 heads look better? Hmmm, we could stick them on top of each other and just blur the part where they meet? genius!'

Think I'd have rather had the old special effects for Zaphod's head. The way they've done it in the film looks very amateur. 'How can we make the 2 heads look better? Hmmm, we could stick them on top of each other and just blur the part where they meet? genius!'

Right.

Because this doesn't look amateur. :lol:

_1252041_hitchhikers_300.jpg

I could have done a better job than that myself with a balloon, some papier mache and crayons. It makes the special effects from Dr. Who episodes 10 years older look like LucasArts.

They probably couldn't have done a much better job at the time though, whereas, I've seen much better graphics than Zaphod's extra head in the new film.

Really - what all the original actors??? - Now if that is the case then it would be BRILLIANT. :D :D :D

BRING IT ON NOW :thumbsup:

Which computer by the way - The man or woman?????????

Yep - its been in the pipeline for years but is finally getting there! All the original people are in it, plus Chloe Annett as Christine Kochanski, not the old Christine!

Holly's a man I think - I hated the female Holly!

I love the Cat - been watching back to back episodes on Sky - the Cat is my favourite character, followed closely by Kryten!

Hes a ssssssmmmmmmmeeeeeggggggg hhhhheeeeeeaaaadddddd! :lol:

as long as it has dwayne dibley in it for a bit, hopefully itll be like the earlier series and not the unfunny new ones.

By way of cashing in on the reflected publicity of the film,

THE BBC ARE SHOWING THE SERIES AGAIN.

STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT ( TUESDAY ) ON BBC2.

By way of cashing in on the reflected publicity of the film,

THE BBC ARE SHOWING THE SERIES AGAIN.

STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT ( TUESDAY ) ON BBC2.

hmm... you cant really say the BBC are 'cashing in', I mean, after all, if it wasnt for the BBC we wouldnt have the HGTG.. (it started as a radio play on the BBC)

Might have to watch that :D

Dont expect too much, and you'll be fine.

Zaphod's heads was dissapointing, as was ford.

Arthur was average, could've been better...

the improbability drive was very well done..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links