Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed With Speedo Lighting + Fading Paint

nick31

Just bought a mk2 import and starting to address a few niggling problems.

Does anybody know how to replace to bulbs behind the speedo. The centre kph lights up fine but the outer mph is in darkness, a huge pain when driving at night past, especially in areas with loads of cameras!

Also, any ideas for bringing back faded paint. In some places it is definately pink! and normal t-cutting has not improved it much.

Thanks

Nick

HI NICK

I BOUGHT MY MR2 IN EARLY MARCH, HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM WITH DASH bulbs SO CANT HELP YOU THERE, SORRY. BUT MOST OF THE PAINTWORK ON MINE WAS REALY PINK AND FELT LIKE IT HADENT BEEN POLISHED FOR AGES. FROM PAST EXPERIENCE WTH PAINTWORK I HAVE FOUND THAT THE CAR NEEDS TO BE BUFFED WITH A PROFESIONAL BUFFER AND YOU NEED TO USE A CUTTING COMPOUND WHICH IS MORE GRITTY THAN T-CUT AND IF IT USED CORRECTLY WILL BRING THE CAR PAINTWORK UP LOOKING LIKE NEW!!! THE CUTTING COMPOUND IS CALLED EITHER G3 OR G6 (ONE IS HARSHER THAN THE OTHER). I WOULD ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO THIS YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED IT BEFORE BECAUSE WHEN USING THE COMPOUND IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL YOU COULD TAKE THE PAINT OFF THROUGH TO THE ORIGINAL PRIMER, ESPECIALLY AT THE EDGES OF PANELS. AFTER YOU HAVE BUFFED IT THEN T-CUT IT AND POLISH IT TO PROTECT IT FROM FADING AGAIN. YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW GOOD IT LOOKS, MINE LOOKS GREAT!!!!

One of my bulbs has gone, it's the one behind the fuel gauge. Was told it's a right pain to change due to it's postion.

I think G3 is the stuff you want, I used that on my last car and it seemed to work well. As said just be careful how much you use.

youll have to remove all the plastic surround, from around the stereo, around the side vent, and a peice above the display. theres 2 screws under the ash tray, one under the cig lighter and one below fog swithch area, the rest is just snap fit. Then theres 4 bolts holding the clocks into place. once these are out just pull the clocks towards you and angle it so you can see the back of it and you should be able to see the bulb holders. not that bad a job really, sounds worse than it is, ive had mine apart a few times since havin this car!

its a lot easier to loosen clocks then trying to stick your hands up behind them! bulbs are a twist fit and would require a lot of fiddling in a tight space

HI NICK

I BOUGHT MY MR2 IN EARLY MARCH, HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM WITH DASH BULBS SO CANT HELP YOU THERE, SORRY. BUT MOST OF THE PAINTWORK ON MINE WAS REALY PINK AND FELT LIKE IT HADENT BEEN POLISHED FOR AGES. FROM PAST EXPERIENCE WTH PAINTWORK I HAVE FOUND THAT THE CAR NEEDS TO BE BUFFED WITH A PROFESIONAL BUFFER AND YOU NEED TO USE A CUTTING COMPOUND WHICH IS MORE GRITTY THAN T-CUT AND IF IT USED CORRECTLY WILL BRING THE CAR PAINTWORK UP LOOKING LIKE NEW!!! THE CUTTING COMPOUND IS CALLED EITHER G3 OR G6 (ONE IS HARSHER THAN THE OTHER). I WOULD ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO THIS YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED IT BEFORE BECAUSE WHEN USING THE COMPOUND IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL YOU COULD TAKE THE PAINT OFF THROUGH TO THE ORIGINAL PRIMER, ESPECIALLY AT THE EDGES OF PANELS. AFTER YOU HAVE BUFFED IT THEN T-CUT IT AND  POLISH IT TO PROTECT IT FROM FADING AGAIN. YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW GOOD IT LOOKS, MINE LOOKS GREAT!!!!

...stop shouting! :ffs:

A per a previous post, G3 will sort out your fading paintwork

but again be carefull you dont lift the paint and be sure to give the car a few coats of wax afterwards :thumbsup:

Fantastic, thanks for the responses guys. I've been to a professional body repair shop and they are going to give it a proper polish for about £120.

Will have a go a the bulbs this weekend.

Nick

The "proper polish" they will give it is just them using G3 and an electric buff.

The results will be very good but the price is a bit steep imo...

Piccies when its done mate. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links