Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol

Scottish_SR

Just heard on another forum that Optimax will be no more soon and is being replaced by "V Power" which is 100 RON and already available abroad.

Anybody know anymore on this?

not heard anything - although 100RON fuel - that's good news for all the jdm scooby owners - maybe the engines will stop going pop!! :)

Rash

oh yes i want that fuel :yes:

i hope you have heard right,

i was running on that v power in germany :thumbsup:

Would be nice if i does come out

Just have to get my MR2 remapped to it mind

not heard anything - although 100RON fuel - that's good news for all the jdm scooby owners - maybe the engines will stop going pop!! :)

Rash

We used that on the way back from the Nurburgring. the cars did feel more alive.. :yes:

still had some left when i got back to the UK... shame i had to go back to optimax..

Only one thing that puts me off though.. optimax is currently 90.02p,.. what on earth is this V-power going to cost!.. :huh: :!Removed!:

I work for Shell and I've not anything about this... that doesn't mean it's not true though! It's always possible that they may just rebrand Optimax as V-Power. Also I think it sounds better :thumbsup:

No worries, unless your owners manual declares that your car requires high octane fuel or you have added forced induction.

It's really absurd what you all pay for fuel there. I think fuel is too inexpensive here usually.

I think about 35-40p a liter (about $2.50-2.75 US per gallon) is fair. Enough to provide sufficient tax for road maintenance etc. and enough to discourage people from buying 8 liter V10 construction trucks to commute alone to work in, but not so much as to cause economic hardship. :thumbsup:

Interesting that!

One thing that annoys me tho is that the "Shell Haven/Coryton Refinery" is near here in Stanford-Le-Hope...yet we have no Shell fuel stations here..the nearest one is across the bridge in Kent! Where's the logic in that? :ffs:

does all import cars have to have super unleaded fuel then, what happens if u put just normal??

No.

Typically only cars with very high compression engines, or turbo/superchargers require super unleaded fuel.

Check the manufacturers recommendation in the owners manual. Follow that for best results. That is all you need to do.

The majority of cars on the road do not require premium. The majority of Toyota's do not require and cannot benefit from premium. Of whats on this site, only MR2, Supra and other turbos need to worry about using premium.

yeah mine is a turbo car, so i really need to put in some super unleaded then, even though i havent put any normal fuel in anyway.

yeah mine is a turbo car, so i really need to put in some super unleaded then, even though i havent put any normal fuel in anyway.

Yes, premium fuel for you most likely, but follow the manual.

Newer cars, say 1995 on, or so, usually have a knock sensor which will !Removed! ignition timing if you put in lesser fuel than what is required and prevent damage, but it will also cost you a significant amount of power. If you have a turbo and don't have a manual or any easy way to find out the required fuel, I'd run premium to be safe.

i thought v-power was 99 RON?

either way still good :thumbsup:

i thought v-power was 99 RON?

either way still good  :thumbsup:

It said 100Ron on the red sticker when we filled up in Germany.. :yes:

scionic Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM
  QUOTE(starletsr @ Apr 13 2005, 11:31 PM)

Yes, premium fuel for you most likely, but follow the manual.

Newer cars, say 1995 on, or so, usually have a knock sensor which will !Removed! ignition timing if you put in lesser fuel than what is required and prevent damage, but it will also cost you a significant amount of power. If you have a turbo and don't have a manual or any easy way to find out the required fuel, I'd run premium to be safe.

'Super unleaded' is also ideal for old cars (saves you having to adjust/!Removed! the timing), perfect for my MGB GT.

do they use the same scale on the continent? ie Reserach Octane Number? as opposed to Road Octane Number and Motor Octane Number?!?

StarletSR,

If you put regular unleaded in a car that requires super unleaded, you'll get knocking which is a kind of metallic noise (that you can't miss). the knocking is caused by self ignition of the fuel (no spark necessary). The higher the octane number the more resistant to self ignition.

There is probably no real performance increase from sticking high octane fuel in an engine that does not require it. The only thing i can think of is possibly a better detergent package - when i start my job i'll be able to enlighten you.

If you have an import, with a japanese manual, its likely to have the fuel requirements in Motor Octane Number (Japan) as opposed to Research Octane Number (UK), so you may need to google to find a chart to convert.

Only one thing that puts me off though.. optimax is currently 90.02p,.. what on earth is this V-power going to cost!..  :huh:  :!Removed!:

It's 98.9p here :(

I'll speak to my boss next time im in and see if he's heard anything :) If they do start to sell it it'll be a good thing :D

I'll speak to my boss next time im in and see if he's heard anything :) If they do start to sell it it'll be a good thing :D

It'll be good, but i reckon the prices will be high :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links