Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

People Standing At The Side Of The Road

JappyBeast

I have seen this a few times and I'm just curious to what is going on.

You get a random person standing on the side of the road like a hitchhiker holding a red numberplate, no place name or anything.

Is this a secret society that I have no clue about?!?

Anyone know?

Its people who drive cars to other places. Some garages etc pay people to drive cars to customers or businesses. These blokes by the side of the road just want a lift home lol. Some normally get a train or bus back lol!!! :thumbsup:

yeah, as Tom says...

The plates are 'trade plates', they hold them up to say they are car traders who have delivered a car and are trying to get home..

LOL.. bet other car traders stop to givetyhem a lift and then there would be two of them standing at the side of the road.. and so on!

Some people in "the trade" will recognise the number, wknow who/what garage they work for, and give them a lift.

They do this to distinquish themselves from other hitchikers, (i wouldn't recommend stopping for anyone.. not these days).

I've never seen any "hitch hikers" like that around ever - but at least now if I do see them I'll know what they are! Definately not good to stop for anyone tho I agree :unsure:

dont pick em up.

they get paid enough money for their return journey by train, money for a meal etc - they just dont want to pay it, and would rather beg.

Never seen them, only the type who "wnt 2 go 2 Lundun - will giv u muney"

Needless to say, I dont tend to stop for hitchikers anyway! I always remember that scene in There Something About Mary when he picks up the murdering hitchiker with the body in a bag and they end up at that gay haunt and get ambushed by the cops.....

Very funny, but I'd rather not! :lol:

Yup, it is indeed people with trade plates...

Funny as I need to go to kings lynn to pick up a car..

think if I show my trade plates in henley I'll get a lift there?

Its only 3h15m :lol:

Yup, it is indeed people with trade plates...

Funny as I need to go to kings lynn to pick up a car..

think if I show my trade plates in henley I'll get a lift there?

Its only 3h15m  :lol:

Haha :) all that long in a car with a stranger?? Good luck :P

On second thoughts I'll just wait untill Milly has the day off...

I've not bought a mk3 supra for at least a couple of weeks now...

I once picked up a German at the service stations near my house, he wanted to goto Edinburgh, and I was going there anyway.. lucky for him.

I would never pick up someone with trade plates. As has already been mentioned, they get given a wedge of cash to pay for their trip home, they're just banking on getting home free so they can pocket the money.

I did once going to see my ex in Coventry..luckily he was going there too!! hence how I know what these geezers do!!. My m8s dad still does it now and again. He takes the wife and they go for they day. Hes been all over the country and says its a good way to get out for the day. (They always get the train back!!!)

Unless its a fit chick.

Funny you should say that...

Me, chriscanavan and 2 of our mates Mark and Andy picked up some random birds in Bolton who didn't have any money for a taxi home... And we got our ears chewed off all the way :lol:

Unless its a fit chick.

Funny you should say that...

Me, chriscanavan and 2 of our mates Mark and Andy picked up some random birds in Bolton who didn't have any money for a taxi home... And we got our ears chewed off all the way :lol:

Only your ears???..........unlucky ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links