Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inernet Broadband

stevetubbyturbo

Im hopeing someone wil be able to help me with decideding weather or not to upgrade my download speed

At the moment i have 512 kbps download speed un capped usage

But my ISP is offering me a 2mb download speed 50gb capped for no extra charge.

The thing i dont know is would i use 50gb for what i do on the net

Mainly i look and post texted and pictures and download vids from TOC

And Rach does some shopping on the net

Reallisticly would i ever use 50gb a month of emails and downloads a month?

50Gb is a lot of stuff to d/l, have a look at the size your HD and find out how much space you have left as that will obviously limit your storage of downloaded content as well..

It's definately worth upgrading the speed of you BB connection as it makes a monster difference....

Have a shop around as there are a lot of companies offering high d/l speeds with uncapped usage atm...

For comparison I do alot of downloading and heavy bandwidth usage stuff and I have used 40.1GB in what is probably a month now. 50GB is a big cap and you should not have any problems. :thumbsup:

I will probably have it ive got till May 31st to make up my mind.

As i know next to nothing about computers and internet speeds could anyone explain to me the following

Whats is Band width?

How many MB in a GB?

Sorry if these questions sound silly but when it comes to computers im totally useless ive spent most of my life useing spanners and welding torches than a keyboard and now im becoming completely unstuck.

Going to have to get myself on a computer course.

Robie here downloads videos etc, and you dont

You wont go over 50gb mate! Unless you start downloading 1 and a 1/2 gigabytes a day of crap lol...

1000 megabytes = 1 gb

(No smart comments people, dont give me that 1024 crap ok?!)

Hope this helps

Matt

Yeah, sounds good to me! Put it this way... I work in a college with 2000+ students and we barely touch 50gb a month normally (Though we have had it up to about 220!!!)

50gb for a heavy home user is fine mate

a gig is 1024MB :)

*whistles, then runs for his life*

50Gb will be fine, do bare in mind tho that it isn't just 50Gb of "downloaded" data to your hard drive, when you browse websites you are downloading, the page is getting cached in your history and temp internet files, even if you just sit on a site you are still receiving data.

lots of people don't seem to understand that and use up there limit, but 50Gb is massive for a months worth of browsing and downloading.

Bandwidth is the amount of space/capacity of the channel, basically there is only so much data space allocated to people, if people start using more (ie times of the day where lots of people are on the net) then the download speeds will drop as the bandwidth is getting used up by all those people transmitting and receiving data over the channel.

Cheers Matt

I put on a counter to see how many MB i use and so far after 1 hr of doing what i normily do im up to 4 MB so i think i'll be safe

Cheers for all you help :thumbsup:

Matt!!! I expect better of a computing professional ;)

Binary numerics mean it HAS to be 1024, so nerrrr B)

GEEK ALERT! GEEK ALERT! AWOOOOOGA!

a gig is 1024MB :)

*whistles, then runs for his life*

You better run !Removed!..... :P

Incase you are telling little white ones about your downloading habbits.. i have a blueyonder 4mb connection (fastest home service in the UK) i can easily download 10gb a day with what i do. so a 50gb cap is not a problem (blueyonder is uncapped)

Incase you are telling little white ones about your downloading habbits.. i have a blueyonder 4mb connection (fastest home service in the UK) i can easily download 10gb a day with what i do. so a 50gb cap is not a problem (blueyonder is uncapped)

Im afraid uk online now do 8meg fella :thumbsup:

Double the speed and a cap you won't reach?

Go for it! Snatch their arms off! :thumbsup:

All that binary talk reminded me of probably the geekiest joke on the planet...

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't".

Hehe i get free 1mge broadband cos my housemate sells it!! I have exceeded 50 gb in a month....it was from *cough* new films music and errr :o my "evening watching!!!" ..but if any companies are watching...I did not download the ring2 a month ago!!!! (or any other films/music/private tomm :lol: y stuff!!!)

if there's no extra charges then go for it :) no reason to turn down something that if you aint gonna be charged for it.

Im afraid uk online now do 8meg fella :thumbsup:

:eek:

Just checked.. not available in my area.

i have one thing to say to you about your downloading stats... :arrgg-matey:

:lol:

I would NEVER condone the copying of copyrighted materials in any shape or form. :ph34r:

Computer is on 24/7 only gets turned off to re-boot.

I got about 800gb to fill!!!. :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links