Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Things I Would Like To Do?

hog

Hi, I have a 2001 celica vvti and would like to know how I would go about the following and is it actually possible?

1. Is it possible to install another cigarette type outlet to the right of the sterring wheel? I have a TomTom Go sat-nav which runs off the cigarette lighter socket, but it is a large connector which stops me going into reverse unless I remove it first. Thought if I had another socket nearer the TTG I would remove this problem and not have a cable draped across the dash to boot.

2. The plastic cover that runs up the right inside column of the windscreen. Is this easy to remove and replace? Again for the TomTom Go I have an external antena and want to hide it out of sight for neatness.

Thnx

Ive have a Tom Tom Go also and loads of other electrical kit that runs off a 12v cigarette lighter and what i have done is to buy a multi block 12v lighter kit and hard wired it into the car.

Just out of intrest have you all the new downloads for your TTG as version 5 is out now

Ive have a Tom Tom Go also and loads of other electrical kit that runs off a 12v cigarette lighter and what i have done is to buy a multi block 12v lighter kit and hard wired it into the car.

Just out of intrest have you all the new downloads for your TTG as version 5 is out now

Hi, could I be so cheeky for you to list the steps you took to achieve this :rolleyes:

re the v5 upgrade got it all working along with the speed camera poi and all works a treat. just waiting for the map upgrade to come out now

Must admit i had to format my SD card on the TTG and then start again as i had problems with V5 but got it working with speed cam POI now.

The list will follow in a bit of how to hard wire in a multi block lighter :thumbsup:

As promised the list of how to hard wire in a multi block 12v lighter.

There are so may different ways of wiring the in i thought id give you the safest way which i think is

Relay switched

You will need to get yourself a multi block 12v lighter kit and a fused swiching relay(they normally come with 30amp fuse but this can be changed to a smaller one) some male and female spade conectors and some wire red and black from Halfords or somewhere like that.

1)find a suitable location for the multi block some where its not going to be in the way but you can still reach it easily whislt driving.

2)Open the relay pack and there will be a set of instructions on where you need to fit wires, also if you look at the terminals of the relay they will be numbers 30,85.86,and87

3) find some where fairly close to the Battery to fit the relay.

4) To wire in the relay you will need to need 4 lenths of wire

1 from the Battery to relay terminal numberd 30

1 from the relay to a good earth point terminal number 85

1 from the switching power supply ( like your Aux / Ign) terminal number 86

and 1 from the relay to the positive of the multi block terminal number 87

5)to get a switching power supply you will have to decide how you want the device to work

Do you want it to come on when the IGN is turned on or

Do you want it when the AUX id on

Either way all you have to do is find a wire that is live (not a wire off the ECU)when either the IGN or AUX is on then tap into it with a Scotchlock (a connector for tapping into wires without striping the wire or soldering)with the wire thats going to go to terminal number 86 on the relay

6)feed the positive wire from the multi block though to the relay and connect it to terminal number 87

7) connect the negative wire of the multi block to earth

8) connect the terminal number 85 to eatrh

9) remove the fuse from the relay

10) disconnet the earth from Battery making sure you know all your radio codes and then connect terminla number 30 to the possitive battery terminal

11) reconnect the battery earth

12) put in the fuse to the relay (you may want to change it to a 7.5 amp fuse)

13) switch on the IGN and reset your radio codes

14) Check the multi blocks opperation and all should be ok

HTH

As promised the list of how to hard wire in a multi block 12v lighter.

There are so may different ways of wiring the in i thought id give you the safest way which i think is

Relay switched

You will need to get yourself a multi block 12v lighter kit and a fused swiching relay(they normally come with 30amp fuse but this can be changed to a smaller one) some male and female spade conectors and some wire red and black from halfords or somewhere like that.

1)find a suitable location for the multi block some where its not going to be in the way but you can still reach it easily whislt driving.

2)Open the relay pack and there will be a set of instructions on where you need to fit wires, also if you look at the terminals of the relay they will be numbers 30,85.86,and87

3) find some where fairly close to the battery to fit the relay.

4) To wire in the relay you will need to need 4 lenths of wire

1 from the battery to relay terminal numberd 30

1 from the relay to a good earth point terminal number 85

1 from the switching power supply ( like your Aux / Ign) terminal number 86

and 1 from the relay to the positive of the multi block terminal number 87

5)to get a switching power supply you will have to decide how you want the device to work

Do you want it to come on when the IGN is turned on or

Do you want it when the AUX id on

Either way all you have to do is find a wire that is live (not a wire off the ECU)when either the IGN or AUX is on then tap into it with a Scotchlock (a connector for tapping into wires without striping the wire or soldering)with the wire thats going to go to terminal number 86 on the relay

6)feed the positive wire from the multi block though to the relay and connect it to terminal number 87

7) connect the negative wire of the multi block to earth

8) connect the terminal number 85 to eatrh

9) remove the fuse from the relay

10) disconnet the earth from battery making sure you know all your radio codes and then connect terminla number 30 to the possitive battery terminal

11) reconnect the battery earth

12) put in the fuse to the relay (you may want to change it to a 7.5 amp fuse)

13) switch on the IGN and reset your radio codes

14) Check the multi blocks opperation and all should be ok

HTH

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I shall have to digest this and take my time lest I blow myself and the car up, lol

Thanks for the instructions I will let you know how I get on.

If you dont here anything within a month assume I blew myself up :wacko:

Its easier than it looks mate if you get any problems mate your not a million miles from me and i'll be happy to lend a hand if you ever needed it :thumbsup:

Its easier than it looks mate if you get any problems mate your not a million miles from me and i'll be happy to lend a hand if you ever needed it :thumbsup:

u r a :hokus-pokus:

No worries mate i'll help any member of TOC if i can

Just out of mindless curiosity could I not simply get anotther lighter socket, fit that and splice it into the cables that feed the existing lighter?

or hell am I jus bin dumb! :wacko:

No worries mate i'll help any member of TOC if i can

Just out of mindless curiosity could I not simply get anotther lighter socket, fit that and splice it into the cables that feed the existing lighter?

or hell am I jus bin dumb! :wacko:

You could do this but the only thing i would be concered about would be the existing wires as they would be sized to take the current of a cigarette lighter and maybe a little more.

If you look at most multi block cigarette lighter kits they say not to put the lighter into them, the reason for this is to stop you from overloading the cuircit, but there are also the kits that do have the lighter in them but they have a power save system which switches the power on and off quickly to prevent overloading.

You could fit in another lighter but i would still wire it in using a switched relay to be safe.

HTH

Being a lazy so and so, I wondered if there was another way around this.

Easier but maybe not as tidy!

lighter extension leads

Mmm interesting, however you would still have a plug in the cig socket with the lead running off to the new location.

I maybe like the idea thus...

1. get a new socket and locate where I want.

2. disconnect the lead from current socket and use to feed new.

3. leave existing socket in place for show

4. No one will ever smoke in my car and so lighter not required.

5. If I sell the car reverse the procedure.

6. Get wife to treat me like a lord tonight for being a clever boy :thumbsup:

7. Someone pops up and tells me a reason why I cant do this :huh:

8. Have to repay wife with new shoes :crybaby:

:censor: :censor: :censor:

So you think something is going to be so easy!

The panel on the console by the drivers left leg, remove, easy access to fuse box. Aha matching panel on passenger side, remove to expose cigarette lighter socket.

NO! Why would it be that easy, it is a moulded panel for decoration only :wacko:

Thought the black ring around the cig socket was rubber so thought it might release the socket that way?

NO! it was rigid plastic and cracked :(

So please does anyone know how I gain access to the back of the existing cig socket on a 2001 celica?

It seemed such an easy peasy 5 minute job :wacko:

So I have found out how to do this, but have not tried yet...

You take the gear knob off

Remove the gator

Release the two screws found underneath

The lower section of the console comes away

Access to cig socket:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links