Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm /central Locking Systems

stevetubbyturbo

Today at work i was complaining to one of my work mates that the range on my alarm system on my car was not very good at about 15 meters away it wouldnt work and i would have to be closer for it to work.

My mate then said put the fob to the side of your head and press it, me thinking hes having a laugh told him where to go.

Later in the evening theres no one about and im walking to the car to get my jacket and pointing my fob at the car at about 30 meters and nothing get to 15 meters and the alarm turns off and get my jacket and walk away get about 50 meters away and realize i have not set the alarm so i point the fob at the car nothing, i have a look around me no ones about put fob to head press button BLEEP :o

Im shocked like no way is this happening so i point the fob at the car (still 50 meters away) nothing ,fob to head BLEEP BLEEP

ive managed to get to about 75 meters and not even in line of site of the car and i can set and unset the alarm.

Strange

Yeah the yaris fob is good :thumbsup: Not sure why range would increase because you point it at your head though!?

And you call yourself car nuts??

this was on top gear!!

Must have missed that one and i thought my work mates were clever <_<

Mine was only 200 Quid! Not as expensive as a lot of systems available!

I must a real tight :censor: mine even cheaper.

Not that im complaining as it is a fairly good system i makes a noise but the main security on the car is my own little modifactions ive done where i can imobilize the vehicle with my own little box of tricks.

Yeap! Seen it on TG with Clarkson doing the same, it seems your body someway acts as an amplifier and aerial :D

Yeap! Seen it on TG with Clarkson doing the same, it seems your body someway acts as an amplifier and aerial  :D

Is that why i always get a good picture when i use myself as an ariel? :D

Mine is pants..... even when stood right next to the car... its a scorpion (standard early 90s toyota fitted?????)

Maybe the fob Battery is flat!

going to have to try this tomorrow :D

So will a lot of others who read this, I'd imagine.

Just be careful who's watching, people! :eek:

Im shocked like no way is this happening so i point the fob at the car (still 50 meters away) nothing ,fob to head BLEEP BLEEP

ive managed to get to about 75 meters and not even in line of site of the car and i can set and unset the alarm.

Strange

Perhaps you are really the Six Million Dollar Man? :lol::lol:

If you hold the fob under your chin (rather than to the side of your head), you don't look like too much of a raving lunatic :D

If you hold the fob under your chin (rather than to the side of your head), you don't look like too much of a raving lunatic :D

Most people who know me think im nuts :wacko: anyway so it wouldnt make any difference really :lol:

Mines good for up to 400m...and can receive up to 1km away...good stuff!

Thing is, would you want to risk setting it off in your pocket and some scroat jumping in while you can't see...? Surely too much distance is a bad thing! Mr T suggested using my head as a conductor when my key stopped working sometimes, and the guy was right! Suppose its the same as personal stereos with radios in, they always work better when you have them on (as in 'phones in ears)

:thumbsup:

i believe that fob up to head trick works because your head is a binary multiple of the radio frequency - although not 100% sure. Not entirely sure what frequency alarms work on but to use my radio controlled car as an example

velocity = frequency x wavelength

radio waves travel at the speed of light or thereabouts which is 300e9m/s. my radio controlled car runs on 40Mhz (40e9Mhz)

therefore wavelength = 300e9/40e9=7.5m

if you start diving the wavelength by 2, you get 3.75m, 1.875m, 0.937m, 0.468m.

0.468m happens to be the length of the aerial on my radio controlled car. If your head happens to be a binary factor of the radio wavelength then you'll increase the range. this is why it doesn't work if you hold it up to your arm, leg etc. also if you have a little one hold it up to his/head and note the difference :)

on another note

what if you've got one of those cars with keyless entry, with a smart card in your pocket and you walk up to it and the doors open. how would you tell if its ever locked? :thumbsup:

Mines good for up to 400m...and can receive up to 1km away...good stuff!

Thing is, would you want to risk setting it off in your pocket and some scroat jumping in while you can't see...? Surely too much distance is a bad thing! Mr T suggested using my head as a conductor when my key stopped working sometimes, and the guy was right! Suppose its the same as personal stereos with radios in, they always work better when you have them on (as in 'phones in ears)

:thumbsup:

If the doors aren't opened within 30 seconds of the alarm being deactivated, it goes off. If the key is not placed in the ignition within 30 seconds of shutting the door, ther e-activates. So, no, not too worried about anyone jumping in to be honest! Plus, if the alarm does go off, i get a signal sent to my receiver that tells me where on the car it has caused the alarm to go off. So i can run like **** back to the car quickly to knock the twoc'er out. And as for the remote start feature...if anyone tries to release the handbrake when the remote start is activated, without the key in the ignition, the engine cuts out...not a bad peice of kit for 200 quid i say!

It's to do with moisture in yer body conducting the signal. You're basically extending the range by extending the transmitter aerial. No difference between holding it against your chin or skull, besides looking a bit weird if you hold it against your head.

Because water conducts, remember? (in reality you need either high current or a lot of table salt to get it to conduct....)

:ph34r:

It's to do with moisture in yer body conducting the signal. You're basically extending the range by extending the transmitter aerial. No difference between holding it against your chin or skull, besides looking a bit weird if you hold it against your head.

Because water conducts, remember? (in reality you need either high current or a lot of table salt to get it to conduct....)

:ph34r:

by that logic i'd appear to have more water in my head than i do in my stomach! :D am i thick or what :crybaby: cos it doesn't work as far when i hold it up to my stomach

Fluid doesn't need to be water... as long as it conducts.

But hey, if the shoe fits.... :P

Seriously, probably depends on the make of alarm/fob, Battery level, etc etc.

Try with fresh batteries in the transmitter, and a full stomach (drink lots of water beforehand) and off you go.

In my case it'll work better against my head as opposed to against my stomach, as my stomach has a layer of insulation around it.

Does flab conduct?? <_<

It's the worst thing, though, if your key fob works from a way away *and* your car makes a beeping noise. Somebody nicks your keys in the pub and wonders round the car park clicking away.

Modern Toyotas, well mine anyway, are only supposed to work next to the car and only the lights flash (apart from the lock click) when you lock/unlock. In fact it works from about 10 feet away (sans head).

30sec after unlocking, it locks again if you don't open a door.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links